Miss W
Beginner November 2024 Kent

Not happy with hair trial - short hair

Miss W, 30 of July of 2024 at 10:16 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 2

Not happy with hair trial - short hair 1

Not happy with hair trial - short hair 2
Not happy with hair trial - short hair 3

Hi,

I recently went for my hair and makeup trial. I have short, asymmetrical hair. I was happy with the makeup, but I left the £200 trial unsatisfied and frustrated with my hair. I felt incredibly stressed in the makeup chair as the stylists kept asking me questions I had absolutely no idea of the answer to about hair volume/movement or fake lashes. So I had difficulty explaining what I wanted as I genuinely didn't know. I suppose messy, textured hair is a big thing but it's just not for me. The first photo is apparently a style, but I thought it looked like a big mess. I was so confused. The last photo is something I suggested: a sleeker look with a plait, which I was happier with, but it is so close to my normal hairstyle anyway plus a plait, I didn't feel it was worth the money.

I felt awful paying £200 for something which made me feel anxious and stressed, and wound up being something I didn't like. It literally felt like I was throwing money down the drain as that's where the makeup and hairstyle eventually ended up a few hours later. I know people say you should "feel glam/special" on the day but this really isn't a bit of me. I'm thinking of cutting out the hair and makeup entirely and doing it myself, but I'm worried I will regret this decision in the photos.
So I have a few questions:
1) any advice following dissatisfaction with a hair and makeup trial?
2) any short hairstyles for weddings you've loved?
3) anyone opted for no professional hair and makeup and been happy with their decision?
Any advice or help appreciated, thanks in advance 🙂 xx

2 replies

Latest activity by Esther, 13 of August of 2024 at 06:08
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I wore no makeup at all on my wedding day - I never wear any and didn't feel comfortable doing something so different for my wedding. Huge uproar any time I told anyone, people telling me I'd look terrible, that I'd be washed out in all the photos, that I'd always regret it. Well I looked like an extra-happy version of me in all the pictures I've seen, I didn't look washed out at all and I've never once regretted it. Funny thing is, a few people who hadn't heard about the no-makeup thing have commented on my 'lovely, natural makeup' and wanted to know who did it. Lesson learned: people mostly see what they expect to see - they assumed I would have had my makeup professionally done and so 'saw' professional makeup Smiley laugh . So if you usually wear makeup and are confident applying it, I'd just do whatever you normally do when going on a nice day out, and you'll be fine.

I did get my hair 'professionally' done, but it was done by my regular hairdresser and she charged me a whole £15! I wanted it up (mine is just below shoulder length and very fly-away, so having it loose wasn't an option) so I just bought a sparkly hair-comb to dress it up a bit, and had her do a very simple bun. So if you want to save money and look more like you, why not do something close to your daily hairstyle and just dress it up a bit with a sparkly hair accessory? Or maybe see if your local hairdresser will do you a basic style. I get the whole thing about 'it's your wedding day so you want it to be extra-special' but...you also want to look like you! And if you're wearing a trad wedding dress anyway, that's enough 'extra special' to be going on with - you don't need an OTT hairstyle on top of it! (And I hear you about that first style looking messy - I thought you were showing us the work in progress, not a finished style!)

• Miss W
    Beginner November 2024 Kent
    Miss W ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your useful reply Smiley smile I'm so glad you did what you wanted on the day and did not regret the decision! This is really helpful. Thank you x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics