Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Not having a hen do and feeling guilty about it

SunnyRedCars885, 30 of August of 2017 at 16:52 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone

Ive decided not to have a hen party as I simply don't want want as I hate all the fuss and being the centre of attention. All I want to do really is chill out as my other half is away on his stag this weekend and quite frankly I'm feeling very stressed out with wedding stuff so just want time with my family to relax. Told my bridesmaid this earlier and she seemed a bit annoyed but I'm trying to not let it get to me as it's my wedding but now I'm feeling guilty that I've upset her....I've literally spent my whole wedding planning process trying to please other people and it's really starting to get to me

?

11 replies

Latest activity by VegasBride2017, 31 of August of 2017 at 22:32
  • R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticRedFlowers886 ·
    • Hide content

Poor you sounds like you're feeling crap and no one needs that!

Question though - how far along in the planning is the hen do? If your bridesmaids have already organised it and then you've pulled out then I can see why they might be annoyed - from experience, organising a hen do is like herding cats, and some things paid for in advance. In this case it may be polite to go ahead but perhaps just explain to your BMs that you're knackered, stressed, and pleased can it just be as chilled out as possible.

However, if nothing has been organised, then certainly don't feel guilty about not having one. You don't have to, nobody else need feel upset by your lack of a hen do - it's not their hen do! Ride it out and any momentary annoyance from anyone who was keen for a party/likes buying willy straws will soon blow over.

(I'll just add that I didn't want a hen do, but was persuaded by my best mate on the basis that she could be trusted to not have stippers and the usual hen do 'stuff', and keep it civilised with fresh air and countryside. This might be a good compromise option for you as a chill out but with friends. :-))

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyRedCars885 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! Nothing has been booked but I just feel like I've let her down. I was going to suggest maybe going to a spa the weekend before the wedding.

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticRedFlowers886 ·
    • Hide content

A spa sounds so much more chilled than a party - but if you don't want any of it, don't do any of it. :-) I'm coming more to the belief that us brides folk spend 90% of our time worrying what other people will think, and 10% enjoying the process; a hen do just does not need to be another thing to be stressing about! Have fun whatever you decide!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Stick to your guns! Hen nights are usually over rated, expensive, causes fall outs and at least one girl ends up in floods of tears over something stupid...avoid at all costs! I'm not having one for those very reasons and I feel that weddings are expensive enough for guests without asking people to stump up more money for a hen do too.

• L
    Beginner September 2017
    Lisa sofa ·
    • Hide content

Hey lovelies,

such an an interesting thread, I felt a bit disappointed with my hen weekend but then after speaking to a recently married friend found that these things are rarely as good as they appear, her friend disappeared for the whole Friday evening on her hen as she slept with the stripper!!

hope you have a wonderful time at a spa xxx

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

They're usually an anti-climax!

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a big hen do! I hate them!

But my friends wanted to do something for me, so we're popping down to the beach where we live with prosecco on a sunny afternoon. Just chilled and relaxed!

• P
    Beginner September 2017
    PinkGems254 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a hen do either as I hate all the fuss as well. At first my friends were dissapointed and tried to convince me quite a few times to change my mind. I did feel like I was letting them down, especially my MOH however you have to remember that it's your wedding / hen do and you have to go with what makes you happy.

There's enough stress planning a wedding without adding in feeling like you have to do something you don't really want to do. You could suggest just going for a meal or spa with you friend or a couple of really close friends if you wanted but don't feel pressured into doing something if you don't want to. People do get over it in the end as ultimately they are your friends and want the best for you

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Since hen dos organised by others are suppose to be a suprise I have no idea how you can say things arent already planned/booked as you wouldnt have knowledge of it

• P
    Beginner September 2017
    PinkGems254 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not all hen do's are surprises - for example my MOH asked me straight away if I had any idea what I'd want to do. Also, I would expect the friend to have said, I've already got things planned or organised. From the sounds of it, it doesn't appear that a date was agreed so I'm not sure how people could plan the hen do without knowing when the bride would be available.

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I'm feeling quite comforted that there are so many brides who don't want to bother with this hen do malarkey. ?

I am actually having a hen party, but would be quite fine without one. My bridesmaids got excited as I'm the first getting married, so I agreed they could plan something as long as they keep it low key.

Apparently we're doing facials, followed by afternoon tea, followed by wine tasting, so a nice girly day really.

• V
    Beginner September 2017
    VegasBride2017 ·
    • Hide content

Hi just had my hen weekend this weekend. I was really worried about it that it would be rubbish and nobody would come, but it was fantastic, all of the girls are still laughing about stuff that happened even now. But each to their own, I don't get out much these days so was nice to just get and blow off the cobwebs :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics