Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daintydisco
Beginner October 2013

Not the reaction I was hoping for!

daintydisco, 2 September, 2012 at 16:55 Posted on Planning 0 5

I decided to ask my OH's Niece to be my Flower Girl. She is 5 but will be 6 at the time of the Wedding. There is a long history but my OH's brother, wife and daughter enjoy their own company and we do not see them very often - very few months (we all live in the same town!). We haven't exactly bonded with her and Niece clings to parents a lot.

We invited them round to tell them about our Wedding and give Niece the card I'd made her. I made the card very simple and it explained that all she would need to do was wear a pretty dress, carry flowers, pose for photos and dance. We told them our wedding date, and the first thing they said was "Oh a Friday, we'll have to take 2 days off work and Niece will have to have a day off school" which annoyed me. I gave Niece the card and she just looked at it disgusted and was all "whats this?!" and her Dad read her the card and said "Is this something you'd like to do?" to which she kept replying "No! No! When I go to parties, I am a party girl not a flower girl". Oh's brother and SIL didn't exactly seem excited about it either. They just said they'd talk to her about it. So I didn't even get an actual reply!

I just feel really upset by it all as the card took me a long time to make and they didn't seem bothered at all about her being asked. I understand if a 5 year old wouldn't understand but thats why I tried to make it clear it would be fun. Not exactly the reaction I was hoping for!

Just wanted to have a bit of a rant and get it off my chest!

5 replies

Latest activity by daintydisco, 2 September, 2012 at 19:10
  • J
    Beginner August 2015
    Jelly_Tots ·
    • Hide content

By the sounds of there reaction they dont seem too bothered, i dont think i would be too bothered about inviting them or having OH's niece in the wedding party. Hope you feel better after your rant Smiley smile i no it always helps me to have a little shout x

• daintydisco
    Beginner October 2013
    daintydisco ·
    • Hide content

I feel better now! I was so angry and upset! Grrrr!

I've decided to leave it for a bit and then ask whether they've spoken to her about it and see if she wants to do it. If she doesn't, she doesn't and if she does then great. The problem is, she clings to them so much that I don't think she'd come anywhere near me to have photos etc. Oh well! Families are funny things!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

If you aren't close and haven't bonded, why do you want her to be your flower girl? I can see why she might not be keen either. Is it create a bond and bring you all closer? That's a lovely thought but don't get cross if nobody else wants to make the effort!

• daintydisco
    Beginner October 2013
    daintydisco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just thought it might've broken the ice but you're right, I can't get cross if they're not interested!

• daintydisco
    Beginner October 2013
    daintydisco ·
    • Hide content

Yes you're so right, that has started to worry me! I think I will definitely consider it, thank you Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics