Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2016

Notice of Marriage

Miss-KEM, 25 of November of 2015 at 16:29 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hello

I have just made my appointment for me and OH to give our notice of marriage in a couple of weeks.

I understand that whilst there they ask you questions. Just wondering if anyone could let me know the sort of things they ask as OH is starting to panic as he has a really bad memory? (he had to go for an interview for his passport and couldn't remember his mum or brothers date of birth).

Just want to give him an idea so it puts his mind at ease?

Thanks lovelies xxx

7 replies

Latest activity by LorraineHull, 26 of November of 2015 at 12:44
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

We didn't get asked much at all. I went first and was asked h2b date of birth and our address and the place and date of wedding. I said she would be lucky if he knew the exact date of the wedding! She laughed and said it wouldn't be the first time. It wasn't stuffy it was just general chat and giving her the info she needed for the forms and very relaxed. Don't worry.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

they asked me my OHs name, dos and job. Where we were getting married and when and asked him the same. Don't forget your passport or what ever you have agreed to bring ?

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    mbunnage ·
    • Hide content

They only asked us name, DOB, and job title. I thought it was going to be a lot more rigorous (especially since I'm from the US) but it was a piece of cake. Just remember to double check your proof of address, my OH thought his license had our current address on it, but turns out it was the old flat so we had 20 min of panicked online searching for something that had our address on it for him, luckily the registrar was very helpful. Thank goodness for mobile phones and internet!

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Miss-KEM ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much lovelies. I think this will put his mind at rest as its been the bit he's dreaded the most.

When I phoned to make the appointment she mentioned needing something with full name and address so i've quickly gone online to change the address on my driving licence. Should be here in time.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Don't fret about it too much. My OH got the time of the wedding wrong but it didn't matter.

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

We were the same; on the way to the office, we were testing each other on all kinds of things - grandparents names, favourite colours, where we were born, etc. We got there, the woman was absolutely lovely and we only had to answer each other's names and DOB's. We were together the entire time and were done in 20 minutes!

• LorraineHull
    LorraineHull ·
    • Hide content

Hi

The other posters are right, there is nothing for you to worry about. However, it is really important to take all of the documents that you have been asked to provide - don't forget any of them!

I was a Superintendent Registrar and I didn't have to stop any Notice appointments because someone couldn't answer a question but I did have to postpone appointments if a proof of address or another document was missing. The Register Office will tell you exactly what they need to see - usually they would have to be originals, not photocopies. Go by what they tell you.

I can understand the worry because it does seem shrouded in mystery. Now that a lot of Notice appointments are made by call centres or online there is even less opportunity to explain that it will be OK as long as you have the documents, are who you say who you are, are free to marry each other and know basic details about each other and your planned marriage. You will be interviewed separately but it is very straightforward and no-one is out to trick or test you.

I once had a bride burst into tears as soon as her groom left the room and when I asked her if she was OK, she said "Please don't ask me what his favourite cake is, I can't remember". I felt so sorry so her, she really thought it was going to be like Mr & Mrs. I already always tried to put people at their ease before and during the Notice appointment, after that incident I was even more aware of the importance of not making anything seem like an ordeal.

Best wishes

Lorraine

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics