Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2020

Notice to postpone? (Coronavirus/Covid-19)

HappyGoldCars64024, 21 of April of 2020 at 14:55 Posted on Planning 0

Hi there

We have a wedding package booked through our venue for 3rd October 2020. The package includes the venue hire, catering (food and staff only) and table flowers.

The venue have kindly agreed that if the government imposes restrictions on our guest numbers, or if my sister can't fly over from New Zealand, and the 'wedding is not the wedding we want it to be' we can postpone it til next year free of charge.

I'd like to suggest to the venue a date by which we make an ultimate decision whether we want to postpone it (if the government don't force our hand anyway).

What do you think is realistic/fair for the caterers/florist? Is 1 month before the wedding to close (when the final balance is due)?

The registrar payment of about £500 is due in July 4 months before (and non-refundable.)

Advice gratefully received!

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hun

Firstly, well done, your venue for not trying to charge more for a change of date! I know some venues are trying to charge more, particularly if you move a 2020 date to next year.

We were due to get married on 19th September, but have taken the decision to postpone as I and many of our family members are in shielding for one reason or another. Personally, I think that if you are considering postponing, I would go ahead and do it, rather than waiting any longer, as the situation hasn't changed and is unlikely to any time soon.

I'm currently trying to juggle dates with our Ceremony venue and Reception venue, without having access to our local Registrars, which is like trying to knit fog! So although we cannot yet confirm a definite new date, we can give everyone a few potential new dates and then whittle it down once the Registry Office reopens.

My plan is to contact all of our suppliers today and let them know that we are postponing, well ahead of our original date, simply as a courtesy, as obviously, they would be budgeting based on expected income which will now be delayed by a year.

I am sure that your suppliers would appreciate an early heads up - after all, they would rather have your custom later rather than not at all.

Given that all the Registry offices around the country are doing different things, you may be able to get a definite new date, but even if you can't, I think realistically, you should reach out to everyone as soon as possible and reassure them that you will keep them informed of your changes.

No reputable supplier would demand your final payment just yet; they can still benefit from having your deposits and any interim payments as security against your final payments for a future date.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Love from Liverpool,

Ali xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics