Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Nottingham wedding venue advice needed!!!

HappyIvoryConfetti289, 1 of September of 2015 at 17:40 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello everyone :-) I am very new to this! We have been engaged a year in November and gave the wedding planning a big break after realising the price of venues we loved (all being around 7k). I have started to look again and am keen to book before Christmas and everyone gets engaged and books the venues up! We planned to get married July/aug 2017 but a few family members are suggesting July/August 2016. Originally we said 10k would be our entire budget but when we started looking I think it is incredibly difficult to manage that! The venue we absolutely loved was swancar farm but the venue alone was 7k and food for 80 people around 8k - far too much!! Some days I think sod it lets have an amazing wedding and others I think let's try and do it cheap and make it amazing with decorations etc. we came to Nottingham this weekend to look at venues and I liked the look of the carriage hall in plum tree - I am after a barn type wedding. I'm not overly keen on the modern twist on the venue as I really wanted a rustic old barn venue but just can't find one at a reasonable price. Does anyone know of any weddings that have happened at the carriage hall? My only issue is there isn't loads of outdoor space which is a shame as we would love to great outdoor photos etc. their venue prices are very cheap in comparison to other venues we have looked at. I think we could get the venue food and drink for 80 people for 6500k.

the other venue we like is dodmoor house in Northampton - the venue is a beautiful barn but the venue fee is 6k... You are allowed to organise your own caterer and we have had a quote for 4k. We can also arrange our own drinks durring the day which we could do for around 400/500. So all in it would be 10k.bthe venue is beautiful. Both venues have no insite accommodation alhough dodmoor has a honeymoon suite.

if we got married at the carriage hall it could be in 2016 and we could spend money on flowers decorations etc and make it look really pretty - do you think the outdoor limited space matters? If we got married at dodsmoor it would be 2017 - it would be more expensive but we would have more time to save. The reason I am keen to get married in 2016 is I am mindful of an elderly relative that I really want to be there at my wedding...

any advice would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks in advance :-)

11 replies

Latest activity by HappyIvoryConfetti289, 4 of September of 2015 at 19:00
  • C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Hi I live in Nottingham. You seem to have identified the mainstream venues, although have you looked at Rufford Abbey?

I'm not clear about your budget - there are so many other expenses as well as the venue and food. Perhaps it would help you to look at the costs of the other things so that you can work out your total budget.

I got married at the council house in the market square. Obviously no outdoor space but it is an amazing venue providing a wonderful backdrop for photos. They are very helpful and it is surprisingly affordable. Google images and you'll get an idea. Our wedding cost approx £7k total. There was 129 of us.

One of the ways of reducing costs is by getting married later in the day so you only have to feed people once. Not all venues will be amenable to this though at they make a huge profit on food.

Another venue you could consider is Clawson Lodge, in Carrington. It is a beautiful building but the function room is a modern extension. The gardens and building would be great for photos and again is very affordable and flexible - you can use your own caterers.

At the end of the day you have to decide what is absolutely essential for you and what you're willing to compromise on. That along with deciding on your total budget will help you narrow your choices down. Good Luck.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

We almost had our wedding at Rufford Mill, Rufford Abbey. Its a beautiful room set in the amazing park grounds. In the end when we did our list there were more cons than pros for us for this venue but it is lovely.

We were quoted £5k for all day incl food for £90 guests. A great price if you ask me.

Does it have to be in Nottingham? Could you look further afield to Derby (where I am from)?

Places like Alfreton Hall, Risley Hall, Ringwood Hall (my venue!) are all well within your budget and beautiful.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

We too loved the look of Swan Carr, it was my first choice when we started looking, but similar to you it worked out far too expensive. We eventually decided on The Walled Garden at Beeston Fields, which for us was perfect for everything we wanted, the gardens are stunning. We got married on Friday, and I honestly cannot praise the staff enough, and the food was amazing! Our videographer does a lot of weddings at dodmoor house in Northampton, and has a lot of his highlight videos on his website if you want a look www.amazingdayz.co.uk. He's also done a wedding at swan Carr and the carriage hall, I know those videos are on there too.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I got married at Woodborough Hall and it was wonderful. They often have Groupon too and as a groupon bride I can wholeheartedly recommend it

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

The one that springs to mind for me is Castle Donington Park Farmhouse, on the Leicestershire Notts border.

I have a whole gallery of my past weddings there on my website.

• C
    Beginner
    Cece100 ·
    • Hide content

If you are after a traditional barn, have you thought of contacting any farmers to hire one of their barns on a working farm for your wedding reception? Looking outside of what is already being advertised as a wedding venue may lower the cost. You would obviously have to do more of the work yourselves such as hiring caterers, tables and chairs, plates and cutlery, toilets and decorating from scratch but this is not different to if you were having a marquee on private land and will definitely be unique and allow you the outside space you are after and be able to create a day which is individual to you.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyIvoryConfetti289 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much :-) we originally said 10k in total! My sister is getting married at the town hall so want somewhere different. I just want a fab day that doesn't cost the earth. I think we are going to stick with the carriage hall and the Sunday you just have a min spend on food and drink and don't pay for the venue so would be 6500 for 80 guests what do you think about that? :-)

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Id have a look at the farm house in castle donnington. ive just been to a wedding there and it was lovely.

my venue doesnt suite what your looking for but i think the farmhouse was really nice

• H
    Beginner
    HappyIvoryConfetti289 ·
    • Hide content

It may sound super fussy but I didn't like the metal bars going along in the old pig sty x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
  • M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I'm Nottingham based too. We are getting married at Stubton Hall which isn't barn like at all! However one of my friends is getting married at Manorial Barn in Rotherham and it is very rustic as you described. A bit further north for you but may be worth a look? It has been VERY budget friendly for her (around £800 venue fee) and you can have any caterers you like so you have control over the budget!

http://www.manorialbarnwhiston.co.uk/

I would also say wherever you decide haggle! We managed to get our quote down quite a bit by haggling and swoppig things around a bit. I loved our venue so much i was willing to skip some things like canapes and the starter to get it in budget and they were more than happy to accommodate.

x

• H
    Beginner
    HappyIvoryConfetti289 ·
    • Hide content

We have a date saved at the carriage hall! The venue hire is free on a Sunday with a minimum spend of 5500 on food and drink excluding the bar. I didn't haggle though?! Maybe we could have got a more expensive venue that we thought was out of price range and haggled?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics