Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

NYE fancy dress help!

pandorasbox, 17 of November of 2013 at 18:02 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

Can any Otters here help with some ideas? (thanks if you've suggested things on fb already) There is no theme so me and H are struggling. We thought we'd do a couple thing but they're all pretty cheesy and naff.

With my new financial plans in mind, I don't have a fortune to waste on a costume, but I would like to come up with something good. Either something so fabulous I can easily re-sell it, or something made up of stuff I already have or could use again.

I was thinking about just wearing a nice sparkly dress that I have to get anyway for some Christmas parties (budgeted for!) and getting a Lady Gaga hair bow wig and dark glasses, but would this look like a cop out?

I am tall with short hair so was originally trying to think of something along those lines but prob need to think a bit wider than just my hair style! I think Meg from Family Guy would be v simple, (just a hat and pink top and some jeans) but H thinks we should make a bit more effort than that.

12 replies

Latest activity by pandorasbox, 18 of November of 2013 at 20:38
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

What about famous couples or double acts? but switching them around so as H is woman and you are the man? Kenny and Dolly, a magician and his white rabbit etc? Pretty basic but swapped around to make it funnier?

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

Uma Thurman and John Travolta's characters from Pulp Fiction?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ladies. ATB that's such a good idea! H likes this kind of idea, though not with him as the woman. He wants us to go as knife and fork or something like that. But I want to look a bit pretty! (But not like 'sexy pirate wench' though, which seems to be what all fancy dress costumes are on ebay) I could maybe be a pretty magician though...

H won't go for the JT and Uma Thurman thing as it is basically him in a suit and he wants to be more 'fancy dress' apparently.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I think I still have a Fred and Wilma Flintstone at my mums you are welcome to borrow? Complete with bright orange wig for Wilma

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content

Myself and OH went as bert and ernie years ago, made the costumes - We made the heads using those paper lampshades you get for a pound and felt, polystyrene ball / egg from hobby c cut in half for nose / ears and bobs your uncle!

This website is really good for ideas too https://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/coolest-homemade-bert-and-ernie-couple-costume-4/

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

exactly what I was going to suggest!! Just black trousers and white shirts.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Doh, just read this! Back to the drawing board!

What about a magician and his assistant,then u can go in a pretty dress!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

H thinks that's too close to a suit for him! He's being awkward about it, so I might just do my own thing

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh interesting! I really like this idea. Thanks for the offer I will see if I can persuade him. What shoes did you wear as Wilma?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Has your H suggested anything?!

For wilma i would wear flip flops, not glamorous but so comfy! depending ont he weather you might haev to put them on once you arrive though!!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Dodgy cropped picture sorry.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

A friend and I did Roger and Jessica rabbit a few years back. Cheap long red dress from a charity shop, cut a slit up the side and ta da!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do actually have a red dress so that could work easily.

H has come up with ones he's seen online, like knife and fork, or egg and bacon. But I know I will end up getting annoyed with anything massive like that, take it off and just be a girl in regular clothes!

Kjay he's not up for Fred Flintstone and I was Cleopatra at the last one so fancy something different. Thanks anyway though, v kind of you to offer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics