Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cinnamon009
Beginner December 2014

OAP mini breaks in Europe

cinnamon009, 19 of November of 2014 at 14:28 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

No not for me....although as noted on the other thread I am feeling like an OAP!!?

My mum is 70 in Jan so as a joint Xmas/birthday pressie was thinking of sending her and my step dad somewhere for a mini break. They are both still fairly active although hours and hours of walking might be a bit much.

Last year we bought them a few nights in Gdansk which they loved. The flight wasn't too long and once there they didn't have to struggle with any foreign transport to get around - just a taxi to and from the airport. They could just toddle around and it was just big enough to be interesting but not too big to be overwhelming. Flights were also really cheap as was accommodation.

I'm struggling to think of anywhere to send them - they have been to Amsterdam, Prague, Dublin, most of Spain. They haven't been to Italy and apart from the flights being really expensive not sure Italy would be my stepdads cup of tea. He doesn't like pasta/pizza and neither of them drink wine (I must be adopted....). I was also wondering about sending them on a specific OAP holiday - where they will be part of a tour of places etc but with someone guiding them. Has anyone's parents/grandparents done anything like that?

8 replies

Latest activity by celticcurl, 21 of November of 2014 at 09:49
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea, but am seriously worried about your stereotyping and use of language!

No one uses "OAP" any more. They can "just toddle around"?

Please be very aware of your language around older people. Certain abilities may apply to individuals, but you're generalising.

Your mum is 69. That's hardly retirement age these days!

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I am talking very specifically about MY parents and what they are capable of and enjoy doing. From the many conversations I have had with them about what they do and don't do any more. And in fact 'toddle around' was the exact phrase my mum used when talking about what they did in Gdansk. She herself said she always wanted to go to Paris but would find it too big and overwhelming these days. So how is using the phrases they have used themselves stereotyping or generalising?!!!!!

I'm well aware that 70 is not seen as particularly old these days but who are you to say what MY parents are and are not capable of or want to do?!!! Clearly you have taken this as a personal affront but you are looking for something deeper that just isn't there. How anyone could read my post about trying to do something nice for my parents and complain that I am stereotyping and generalising is just beyond me and makes me very sad.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

If you were talking about people with a disability, or gender differences in such generalist terms you'd expect to get called on it. There's away to phrase these things without it sounding quite so patronising to older people.

And as a response, why not ask your parents where they'd like to go?

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Erm I think Cinnamon is wanting it to be a nice surprise. I think it's a lovely gesture.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ah, I think it sounds like a lovely gesture too. I love a city break! We went to Lisbon in September but it's pretty hilly there! I quite fancy Edinburgh next. I'm pretty well travelled but I'm ashamed to say i've never entered Scottish soil!

My mum and her partner are off to Bruges on the eurostar in the New Year. They've been a few times and love it. Got a fab deal too. They've done Brussels, and Munich too.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I didn't see any generalising or stereotyping - just specific comments about specific people (who Cinnamon obviously knows well and cares for), and a request for some help with a lovely gesture which is clearly meant to be a surprise, hence her asking us, not them.

I have worked in an OAPs home, and will happily continue to use the term. I've never heard any complaints - why would I - It's accurate, descriptive and respectful.

Anyway - Cinnamon, I can't offer any suggestions on the city front, but regarding the specific tours I'm not sure they'll be right for your family. My granddad used to go on them and loved them, so for the right audience they are great, but he was at a point where he couldn't travel very far independently (eg he was no longer able to use the local bus service without help) and certainly couldn't do much walking around. He was also a widower and quite lonely so he enjoyed the company of the tours too. From the description you have given of your Mum and Step-Dad it sounds like they are still much more youthful than my grandad was and so they might find the structure of the tours quite stifling. Perhaps different companies offer different styles of tour though.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I did think Lisbon but it is very hilly. How about Berlin -loads to see, pretty flat and great cake. Budapest -stuff to see but it's not too hectic. Galway, Stockholm and Cardiff are also nice. I haven't been to Oslo, Munich or Bruge but different people have told me good things about then

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, what a lovely thing to do. I surprised H with a trip to Budapest this year for his 30th but I did nearly break from all the walking! My parents have recently been to bruge and palma in majorca and loved both. My grandparents have been on the coach trip to the Edinburgh tattoo a couple of times

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Can't recommend a euro break but if you decide to stick with England I can highly recommend York. It's not overly hilly and there's a lot to see and do in a condensed area. As long as you choose a central base they wouldn't need to walk too far no matter what they wanted to do.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics