Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nutella
Beginner March 2013

Occupational health & safety laws - legal help please?

Nutella, 11 of January of 2012 at 16:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

So ladies, I need a bit of occupational health & safety law advice please before I start shouting my mouth off without the laws in place to back me up.

I am moving office at the end of this week, I work for the Olympics so am currently based in a fairly plush office in canary wharf, during the games I will be based in a little portacabin at my allocated venues but from Friday till games time my dept is moving to what is effectively a warehouse converted into an office for around 150 of us (there are legitimate operational reasons for this!).

Found out a bit more about it today and it will be very basic furniture, temporary heating/air con and portaloos but the main part I’m concerned about is that we are not being provided with any monitors or keyboards, we are expected to work just off our laptops every day. Now I am only 5”4 but having already been doing this for 2 weeks (we’ve run out of desk space in our current office), I am already getting a bad back (and I have a history of it), surely there must be some legal obligation to provide either a screen (so we use the laptop as keyboard), or a keyboard (so we can raise the laptop to use as screen). Trying not to be too arsey about it, this is the kind of setup I expect for our temporary situation at our games time venues but not as a full time desk for over 6 months... My manager said he’s not happy either but will just go out and buy himself a cheapy £10 keyboard, yes I could do this as well but I don’t see why it should be my responsibility IYSWIM...

So, can anyone help me with any UK or EU laws relating to what an employer must provide?

8 replies

Latest activity by Daniel, 24 of March of 2023 at 16:33
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what law is but at our work, if you request that your monitor be wall-mounted to get your posture right, they come out pretty sharpish!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Don't you have to fill in a new questionnaire regarding your desk everytime you move? Not sure if it is law though. Will see what I can find

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

In my old job yes there was a questionaire you had to do when you moved, I even had special arms ordered for my chair so I was sat more 'correctly' (according to Oc Health nurse!)

Have quietly emailed a contact I have in HR to find out who our Oc Health person is so that I can start making noise. Everyone is unhappy about it but don't think anyone dares be the one that kicks off. Id rather not have to kick off about it as I dont feel that always gets you anywhere so I'd rather go down a more subtle but effective route if I can. I also don't want to just get myself sorted, I want them to accept that they need to provide everyone with what they need..

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

AFAIK there's no legal requirement to provide a keyboard or monitor but there is a requirement to do a risk assessment and to act on the outcome of said assessment in order to provide a safe working environment.

Can you contact HR to ask when they'll be doing the risk assessment?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pretty much word for word what I was going to say.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Update - I have spoken to someone in HR about it, she was appalled and had no idea. She's advised for everyone to email her and then she can raise it whilst keeping us all annonymous (i can't spell..). I feel like I'm spearheading a revolt ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*imagines Nutella riding up and down in front of her troops, to a rousing cry of "They can takes our lives but they can never take our FREEEEDDOOOOMMM".

• D
    Beginner June 2022 Morocco
    Daniel ·
    • Hide content

Understanding the legal system is critical for both individuals and businesses. I had a legal issue related to immigration law that required professional assistance. That's why I highly recommend https://federal-lawyer.com/north-dakota/ which a platform that connects businesses and individuals with experienced immigration lawyers who can provide legal advice and representation.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics