Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinkerbelly1983
Beginner October 2011

October flowers - Help please :-)

tinkerbelly1983, 6 February, 2011 at 16:55 Posted on Planning 0 8

We are getting married in October, Our colour scheme is orange. I'm having coffee break roses, cala lillies and hypericum berries in my bouquet but need cheaper flowers for the table decs. As I have just posted in the rustic thread I'd love to use jam jars with a mix of flowers and candles to go on my table ( we are having a long banquet table, aprox 20 feet long)

Can anyone recommend any cheap filler flowers I could use that would look good in little jars? Then I can go to my florist with a list of flowers and she can give me prices! I do not want to deviate far from orange, green and cream/white and would like a mixture of lots of different flowers

Thanks!?

8 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 6 February, 2011 at 19:19
  • C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I'm also an October bride, the 15th, I saw my florist last week and lisantius was one of the flowers she'll be using, but I don't know if it comes in your colours.

I would think gerberas might be a good option for orange. I'm sure all the florist hibs will be along soon to help!

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content

I'll be watching this with interest too. I have no idea currently how much flowers will be costing. Ill be meeting up with my florist as soon as I have bridesmaids dress sorted (end of this month hopefully) so I will have a definite ideas of colours.

I'd really like calla lillies as bouquets but hear they are expensive so will go with something cheaper for table flowers. Although I am planning on having tall candelabras with flowers in around the candles so not sure what type of flowers would work best in that type of setting either.

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content

Orange isn't really my thing, but as table decorations you could always go for pumpkins (therefore keeping lots of orange colour) filled with lots of cheaper greenery. Something like this.

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I considered pumpkins early on but didn't want to be too 'theme-y'. I just want a subtle autumnal feel to it all. Good idea though

• W
    Beginner October 2011
    wonky ·
    • Hide content

I know exactly what you mean, at first I was going to go with oranges/reds etc as it was an autumnal wedding but I knew I would get sucked into it be theme-y myself so decide on aubergine/gold/ivory colours instead. It's so easy to be pulled in a certain direction isn't it?

One way of getting lots of cheaper fillers and lovely smells could be to use herbs like rosemary etc. Hmm pumpkins and rosemary - I'm getting hungry now - ha ha!

Hoping some knowledgable flowers HIBS hop on here to help out!

ETA - I thought herbs are cheap as you can grow them SO easily yourself, and as much of them as you need!

• theflowerco
    theflowerco ·
    • Hide content

Hi There

Lovely selection of flowers for your scheme, some cheaper fillers could be:

Alstromeria - Orange Queen or Firenze

Asclepias BEATRIX AND TUBEROSE

Celosia persimmon cheif

Dahlia Sylvia

Carnation (dianthus) Firato, Ivonne orange

Freesia red river

gerbera Monarch

lilium (lily) Tresor, serrada

Rannunculua Elegance orange ( could be costly!)

Tulip Orange princess

Physalis (chinese lanterns)

For green

Dill (ami) is always good

the green hydrangeas are coming back down in price after the surge of Sept

pititosporum is great are its green and white.

Good luck

Zoe xx

• *Marmite*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Marmite* ·
    • Hide content

How about for orange - carnations (they get bad press for being old fashioned, but I think it depends on how you use them)

and for green - 'froggy' chrysanthemums - they're super cheap and have lots of small round flower heads (and supercute - I've got some in a vase at home at the moment!)

EDIT - the xanths are called 'kermit', not 'froggy' (my saturday job at school was in a florists and its been a long time since I saw the packaging with the name on!!)

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Shame they do really because they have some fantastic varieties in stunning colours especially the bi-colour ones. The lime green carnations are perfect for vintage weddings and the peachy ones!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

This might help as well as Zoe great advice:

/flowers/flowers-by-month/october

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics