Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fluffy
Beginner September 2003

Off the peg wedding dresses

Fluffy, 5 of October of 2008 at 16:40 Posted on Planning 0 16

It seems these are hard to get these days.

I have a friend coming down from Cheshire in 2 weeks. She'd really like to look for an off the peg wedding dress as she's really not keen on the whole 'tailour made' proper wedding shop stuff. She's seen some really lovely dresses on the Debenhams website. Her lcal store don't do wedding dresses anymore but told her Bristol do, so she arranged to come here. I've just phoned and checked and Bristol no longer do them. They said the only place that still does is Birmingham!

I also went into to the new Monsoon in Bristol to check out their dresses (I know when I got married they had lots of really nice ones). There were none on the shop floor but I asked and the lady said that if I really wanted to see them they would go up and get me one I was interested in to try on. Talk about uninviting!

Are they just actively encouraging people not to get off the peg anymore?

Is there anywhere else I have missed where we can look? She really wants something a bit different to the classic wedding dress - but in white/ivory.

16 replies

Latest activity by petitefilous, 16 of September of 2009 at 11:10
  • AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Monsoon sound really unhelpful! I was able to try mine on in there with no problems! BHS also do dresses but I think they're still quite traditional....

How about M&S? I know they have some online, not looked in the shop myself though!

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Apparently house of Fraser bridal are really good too - no appointments you can just walk in. Also my friend found some nice ivory dresses in their eveningwear as well - quite slinky.

Am surprised you had trouble with Monsoon too as they have lovely things on their website.

AliLindsay - hello how are you? Have you had a nice weekend?

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Hello SG! Not bad thanks, although I've been in work the whole time! About to leave and go home though, so my weekend starts tomorrow!

Hope you had a good one, and sorry for hijacking your thread, Fluffy!

• debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content

I'm surprised at Monsoon too. I was in my local one in Glasgow the other week and they had a wee corner devoted to wedding dresses.

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Fluffy - yes sorry for the hijack - where are my *virtual* manners!

Ali - bummer, have done NOTHING this weekend, v. relaxing

• Fluffy
    Beginner September 2003
    Fluffy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for replies. I've just looked at M&S bridal and they say that their range is unavailble until 2009. Pants. BHS just seem to have a few stark white skirts for about 30 quid - at least on the website anyway.

BUT I didn't know House of Fraser did Bridal!! We've just had a HUGE new one open in Bristol. I've just had a look at their website but can't see anything about Bridal. So you can just walk in? Is it just in their normal department stores not a designated shop?

• Fluffy
    Beginner September 2003
    Fluffy ·
    • Hide content

Oh, it's only in London. Hrmmmmmph. Not easy this.......

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content

I got mine in BHS, although it was 'officially' a BM dress...

How about littlewoods: order some in and try on in the comfort of your own home, then post back what you don't like!!

• kelly29
    Beginner May 2009
    kelly29 ·
    • Hide content

From what I can gather, the high street stores that do wedding dresses only seem to do them in the summer. Obviously people only buy wedding dresses for four months of the year....

• S
    sarahjl ·
    • Hide content

It's definitely worth looking at 'proper' wedding dress shops too - many of us do ranges that are a bit less traditional, and also many of us are selling off sample dresses at the moment to make way for new stock so she may be able to buy one off the peg there and then.

• mummy
    Beginner March 2009
    mummy ·
    • Hide content

You can order to home from Monsoon too and take them back to the shop too (just to p*ss them off lol) I got mine from Monsoon shop in the summer sale, but ordered my fg dresses from their sale online xx

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

LOL if the girl wants a high street dress, she's hardly going to be affording the latest Wang...

Now naff off with your shady adverting.,..weirdy-freak.

• M
    Dedicated April 2010
    manicb2b ·
    • Hide content

Well said, that is so funny! ?

• N
    Beginner December 2009
    Nephelae ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Just wanted to say that Birmingham Debenhams Bridal is great - all sorts of dresses and accessories at great prices - plus there's all the other concessions like Coast (who have a real shop just off New Street) and the Monsoon is also really good with a lovely bridal section. I know Phase Eight have bridal on-line as well...I only went to Debenhams and Monsoon IRL and got my dress from Debs online the day after trying it in the shop ? Monsoon is really good for floaty un-meringue dresses which I would have considered if I wasn't going to be wearing my dress in December !! Neph xx

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

very sneaky advertising your wedding ring business in a link to Vera Wang dresses - not, read the rules!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

My dress is an ex-sample so its worth checking the bridal shops.

I had a look at the BHS dresses and I wasn't all the keen on them, nothing special about them. Monsoon do lovely dresses and Littlewoods have a sale on just now. They've got some lovely dresses so I think its well worth a look online.

• P
    Beginner
    petitefilous ·
    • Hide content

I went shopping last week for a few last minute accessories - but all the shops (BHS, Debenhams, House of Fraser etc) had packed their wedding sections away, and it appears that this years stock has gone into the sale. Looks like new stock due next year!!!

I brought mine from a bridal shop for £350 - the shop sell ex-sample dresses and buy end of range so they get it cheap and then sell on. I think the prices started at about £150. You should check if there are any shops like this near you. They did stock the big white dresses and also some more unusual styles. Bridesmaid dresses too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics