Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Oh bugger, we've got a flying ant infestation.

Hugo Brambles, 15 July, 2009 at 18:11 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

I thought I'd cured the problem. On Saturday night I went into our conservatory and it was like a horror scene - the place was alive with flying ants. We were on our way out so I shut up the house and by the time I went down on Sunday morning most were gone. I quickly sealed where I thought they'd been coming in (where the glass meets the wood frame and where the wood frame meets the tiled floor) and that solved it for a couple of days but today they are back again. There is a mixture of flying and normal ants. I've seen them on the patio and imagine they must be living under the pavers.

Will B&Q have stuff to get rid of them? I was reluctant to use poison (I have 2 cats and dog) but I can't litterally re-seal the entire conservatory pre-empting where they might get through again.

Anyone have any flying ant/ant experience?!

4 replies

Latest activity by Hugo Brambles, 15 July, 2009 at 18:42
  • S
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparklywug ·
    • Hide content

We had this problem in the kitchen of our old house, spotted it one afternoon, bought ant killer from B&Q, put it down (and shut the cats out of the room) at bedtime and by morning there were definately no more ants and tons and tons of dead ones all over the floor! Never saw any again!

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

Use the stuff in the little pods - should be safer for your cats and dogs than ant powder

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

<shudder> I hate those little feckers. There's probably a pet friendly solution available - if B&Q can't help maybe a Pets at Home or something?

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

I used the Rentokil pods, two at each doorway, they take about a week to work and you're constantly hoovering up ants, but they carry the poison back to the nest and kill the queen therefore the colony dies, which is what you want to happen.

You have my sympathies, I had an ant infestation recently and it was horrible, the worst time was when I saw one crawling in my daughter's hair as we sat down for dinner <boke>

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the recs - no more Mrs-Nice-Guy here, I'm gonna have to kill them if they won't respect my boundries ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics