Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner June 2017

OH doesn't want to wear a tie - thoughts please

Julie48, 18 of January of 2016 at 15:19 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi Girls

I somehow managed to lock my previous post (not sure how I did that!)

What are your thoughts about grooms not wearing ties?

We are having a non formal wedding and OH has decided he doesn't want to wear a tie. He is not a big tie person (he doesn't wear one to work etc). I'm not going to tell him what to wear as its his special day and I want him to be comfortable but I'm having difficulties in trying to imagine what he'll look like!!

Also, as I've said our wedding is going to be non formal but I would like the groom and best man to wear similar outfits but OH isn't keen on telling someone what to wear - again what do you think?

Thanks girls

Jxx

8 replies

Latest activity by Hydeschnucke, 19 of January of 2016 at 12:38
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Hi Julie

I think that if he doesn't want to wear a tie, that should be ok. If you google "casual wedding groom" there's some nice pictures of grooms without ties Smiley smile

I think he should be able to get away with telling them a colour scheme and having them pick some complementary outfits to his. He could always say "look guys, this is what I'm wearing. I'd like you to co-ordinate with this" but then leave them to put their own stamp on things.

That, or you tell them what to wear haha

x

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

We're not having ties... finance never wears them so it would be wierd to make him pretend to be someone hes not for one day, honestly I find it wierd to think of my fiance in a tie since hes never wore them before

just as the bride should be happy and comfortable so should the groom

our bestman will be dressed different to, although the best man will match the ushers - finance will be dressed completely different as me and him are the 'main attraction' lol just as id hate my bridesmaids to be dressed in my wedding dress he doesnt want to look like the groomsmen

maybe make the best man co-ordinate with the bridesmaids so you two are unique but the wedding party match ?

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Yay you managed to unlock it ? I said about the ties in my email but forgot suits. Personally if your buying/hiring the suit I would have fair input but take the best mans opinion in consideration. We said my oh was in blue and dad and best man in grey. They then went shopping and chose a grey suit they all liked and it went really well. In all honesty I think most people over think colours but we ended up with a bit of a mash up and pulled it off.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

He has to be comfortable and be himself on the day but if you want him to stand out from guests, you can get lovely pocket tissues and his buttonhole can be different? That may not make him as uncomfortable?

We are going quite traditional for my OH and the groomsmen, They are all wearing the same suits but OH is having cream cravat and pocket tissue and best men/ushers are having Royal Blue to match the BM's. my OH's buttonhole will be different too.

I left the suits (in the most part) to my OH and thats what he chose but i would have been happy with anything he chose as you and him are the most important on the day and when you are getting married you probably wont see anyone else in the room apart from him.x

• J
    Beginner June 2017
    Julie48 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls for your responses. I totally agree with what you saying about he has to comfortable and I wouldn't dream of telling him to wear a tie (plus I probably wouldn't recognise him with a tie on ha ha).

We're not having a big wedding so there will be no ushers etc Its just the best man, groom, myself and our 5 year old daughter as flower girl Smiley smile

I will definitely have a look on the internet for some pictures of grooms with no tie it will give us some ideas too!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

Jxx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I've seen some lovely casual grooms pics on Pinterest. Just tie in the groomsmen or best man etc so he doesn't look like he's the odd one out. If you see what I mean. I'm sure the other men would thank you for not having to wear ties. Worth checking Pinterest for ideas for him.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I don’t think a tie is necessary even if you were having a formal wedding – if he’s wearing a button hole it’ll still look “wedding-y”. Most important thing, as you said, is that he feels comfortable! I can see why you would like the best man to wear the same as your OH – is it worth asking the bestman if he minds wearing something similar – that way you’re not telling him what to wear, more just asking him?

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

My H2B won't be wearing a tie either. We're having a really relaxed and informal day. He does however still want to look like a groom so he's going to be wearing a waistcoat which is the same colour as my dress (wild berry) and will have a buttonhole.

• Hydeschnucke
    Beginner May 2018
    Hydeschnucke ·
    • Hide content

I'd say if he doesn't want to wear a tie, he shouldn't wear one. If it were me, as long as he doesn't show up in sweatpants and a t-shirt with stains and holes, I wouldn't worry.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics