Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner May 2018

OH getting cold feet?

rusticbride90, 4 of April of 2016 at 16:07 Posted on Planning 0 12

Just a little background first..

So we have been together 6 years, got engaged 7 months ago and was a total surprise.

OH wanted to get Xmas out the way before any planning which I agreed was sensible. January came and I organised a few venue viewings which he attended with me despite not really wanting to. We agreed a date and year (May 2018) and I even took a on an extra role at work to help with savings. I have found the venue even though he didn't come to see it, but he has been before. I've even bought my dress!!! I made an appointment to go and discuss the quote and hopefully book this week, and he has totally dismissed the whole thing. I'm not a pushy fiance and have given him the time he wanted but now I'm worried that he doesn't even want to marry me...extreme i know!

He picked an argument over it saying he doesn't understand why it has to be booked 2 years in advance. Now he has no clue about weddings and that things can't just be booked a month before and seeing as he isn't helping in the planning and the amount we need to save, that yes we do need to get cracking.

I have the money there for deposit, tog and vog deposits and extra...so money isn't the issue. But i just don't know what is. Ive asked numerous times but still no valid reason as to why we cant book. Ive been upset that ive had to even wait this long as wedding planning is my dream and all I want to do.. but he just keeps putting a dampener on the whole thing.....

Any one had this problem?.

12 replies

Latest activity by katieJ2b, 6 of April of 2016 at 16:49
  • Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

My husband was a bit like this at first as everyone was bombarding him with wedding info and he just wanted to enjoy being engaged. As soon as we stopped planning & involving others he perked up. Have you asked your oh what sort of wedding he wants? it could be that his not ready to plan just yet as he may just want to enjoy time being engaged first or he may not want the wedding your looking into. I wouldn't rush into a venue if you haven't visited tigether. I felt we needed to straight away and almost booked a venue I would have regretted! It's easy to rush but my biggest advice is take your time and joy it as it goes in a flash!

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarahm66 ·
    • Hide content

Yes mine too! In fact he wasn't interested in the planning at all and was very happy for me and MOH to do everything - except when he tried to interfere in the detail towards the end! He was pretty dismissive of planning so far in advance and I think it was only on the day that he realised how much had gone into organising the day and why I had started so far in advance. However, I did know all along that he did want to marry me, so maybe a frank discussion is needed and as long as he wants to get married I'd get your MOH/bridesmaids/family on board to get excited about it and just let him know what you're doing. I would drag him along to your preferred venue before you pay any deposits though - that decision is pretty fundamental ......

Good luck!

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

My OH wasn't particularly fussed at first! I don't think that they understand that plans need to be put into place well in advance, especially for a weekend in May at a popular venue! I forced him into giving me his opinion on venues at first - even if I didn't particularly want it! Smiley winking He knew that once the venue was sorted then I would back off for a while, which I did. Now we are at less than 7 months to go and he is actually excited about things, because he knows it will be here soon.

Sometimes I don't think men can think too far into the future! Well I know mine can't! But definitely have an honest conversation with him about what type of wedding you both want. Mine would've preferred to have eloped, but I've managed to persuaded him otherwise now! x

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

I think it sort of happens to a lot of men. My fiancé was absolutely fed up with all wedding talk at first and thought it was too soon to plan anything. I quickly stopped talking about it and just spent time online checking things out and getting inspiration and then HE started wondering haha! They just think it can all be done in the last month!!

• rockabird
    Beginner May 2017
    rockabird ·
    • Hide content

Yes I had this problem! He didn't understand that the venues needed to be booked up but once we had got deposit money down on the big things we could relax abit. Then he was the one getting worried as I wasn't talking about anything wedding related for a few months!

It might just be very over whelming and he is probably getting it in the ear from family / work / friends etc asking how the planning is going. I would sit him down and just say once the big things are confirmed that can be it for ages.

Hope you manage get to the bottom of it, I guarantee its just a man thing and nothing to worry about :-)

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

My OH was involved and interested in booking venue, registrar, photographer and invites but now that is done he can't see the urgency in doing anything else. He thinks there is not much else left to do and says we have ages to do the bits that are left. It was only when i showed him some possible honeymoon resorts were fully booked that he is now on to that. Perhaps your OH is like mine, and just does not understand why weddings are booked so far in advance.

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

My OH showed excitement but also didn't understand the hurry to book things. It took him a while to get into the mood for sorting it, doesn't help when all anyone asks you when you're engaged is about the wedding. It got to him a bit but once we started to organised it and he saw it coming together he was much better!

Without generalizing, I have found that ladies are much more willing to organise their wedding and have fun doing it. My OH has been involved all along but is ahppy to just leave me to it really.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Although my OH understood the need to start planning asap, my parents didn't. Because we live far away from the rest of my family I had to rely on my parents to view venues for us. At first they were resistant because they didn't understand why we had to plan so far in advance, but once they started seeing that our top choices were either booked up or only had one or two dates left for the year they finally got it. That's not an ideal way for him to figure it out, though. Does he have any friends who recently got married who could explain it to him from a groom's perspective?

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

My OH was like this at the beginning. He didn't understand why you had to book two years in advance for a Saturday summer wedding. He thought that we could do nothing for a year and then book it. I did have to throw a few strops to get the ball rolling but after the venue was booked, he was fine. I think that most men don't plan more than a few days in advance, well mine certainly doesn't anyway! X

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Good luck!! Let us know how you get on tonight x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics