Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charliebob
Beginner May 2016

Oink! Hog Roast help..

Charliebob, 6 of October of 2014 at 20:57 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi, we are looking at caterers for our village hall barn wedding

Do you think you can have a Hog Roast at the end of May or too soon? If so what month is best for a Hog Roast

and secondly it says it feeds up to 100 people, we are going for the option of extra salads and deserts too. Does that mean we can feed 100 or still have to work out a number? We are thinking about having 60 people

Also if anyone has had one/is having one any tips would be helpful.

Many thanks!!

9 replies

Latest activity by NyamaCatering, 1 of December of 2014 at 15:09
  • M
    Beginner July 2016
    MellieMoo ·
    • Hide content

You can have a hog roast at any time of year Smiley smile you will be fine with just 60 people having the standard meat bap and salad choices, and with plenty left over for later! You could diy some extra salads, baked spuds etc if you are worried at all x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I think the end of May is a perfect time for a hog roast. We have no guarantess for what the weather willbe like on any day of the year. The only expectation you can reasonably have is that the end of May is like;ly to be warmer than say the end of December. Other than that, anything is possible.

As for how the numbers work, check with the caterer as they tend to work differently. What you're likely to find from what you've said is that you have a fixed price for the hog roast that will cater for up to 100. You'll pay the same price if you have only 20 or 100 or anything inbetween. You'll then pay an additional fixed price for your extras, or these could be per head. Check with the caterer though to be sure.

Also check what happens to anything left over. We hear too often of food being whisked away before the bride and groom, or another party member, is given the opportunity to reserve it and take it home, which as you've paid for it, you should be able to do. They might ask you to provide boxes etc, but better to sort out beforehand than find it gone. Especially if there is enough for 100 and there's only 60 of you.

x

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a hog roast in April. Worked really well. Some companies do a smaller hog for fewer people, which is slightly cheaper but I'd hate to scrimp on the meat and not have enough- people will eat it!

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think a hog roast in May will be fine...if anything like this year, end of May should give you a nice warm day Smiley smile

We had a hog that fed 100 people as this was the only size our caterer offered. We had 15 guests but 11 of these were children (some toddlers and babies) so didn't eat as much.

It was amazing because a lot of the guys went up for a second plate Smiley smile I was stuffed but you know what these men are like lol, as soon as my groom went up for more everyone followed!!

We still had food left over but all we did was bring out hot plates. The caterers put the left over meat and side dishes on these and it went back out with the evening food...it still didn't all get eaten but everyone raved about it. It was very important for us to make sure we fed our guests really well and this really did!!

Hope this helps and good luck with all your planning Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a hog roast in March. Go for it!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We offered choices so only wanted to provide pork for about 80 people, along with paellas for 80. We opted for pulled pork shoulder joints: the caterer slow cooked the joints and then pulled them apart and sauced them on a stall rather than cooking the whole pig. It worked out less per head than a hog would have done for our numbers and was really delicious.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We had a company who provided the hog, rolls and apple sauce. They had a fixed price per head. We then got a local hotel to provide us with pasta salads, potato salads etc at a separate price. We catered for (and paid for) as many guests as we thought would come, but as it was an informal party, I'm not sure exactly how many turned up!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure it is fine at any time of year, go for it.

One thing I would say is make sure there is a viable vegetarian/non meat option. I went to my cousin's wedding a few months ago (April actually, so sure May is fine!) and ended up with a dry bread roll as I wouldn't eat the hog roast. There wasn't even any butter!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I would check what extras it comes with - we have been at one where there was plenty and another where wasn't enough food and I can't stress enough from a vegetarian point of view make sure there is a veggie option - one wedding (where they ran out of sides) my OH had to go cook me something quickly that we had in our van as they forgot the vegetarian options......

• NyamaCatering
    NyamaCatering ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Well from the mouth of the horse then! We own a Outside BBQ Catering Company and are always happy to share some tips!

Most of the time you would either have a per head price (for Hog Roast Buffets etc) or you will have the fixed per head price (for BBQ Menu's etc) which differs from company to company.

For instance some companies do Hog Roasts for up to 100 or 150 guests at a certain fixed price, we for instance would do a Basic Hog Roast with Trimmings for up to 120 guests at £650 + VAT. This would be a basic option and the price would stay the same if you're 60 guests. You will then almost always have another option to have side dishes / salads with the Hog Roast. We do a Hog Roast Buffet menu that does up to 120 guests at £895 + VAT which would then include Side Dishes as well, again the same price would apply for up to 60 guests. Most Hog Roast / BBQ Catering Style Companies will provide this option.

The reason for doing packages for up to a certain amount of guests is due to the fact that the running and overhead costs for a Hog Roast / BBQ Catering company would stay pretty much the same if catering for 10 guests or for 100 guests on a Hog Roast! This is just the way it works with this sort of catering and you will find everybody has this type of price strategy. (Could go into this but it DOES get slightly boring..)

Most of the time there would however be per head pricing as well. For instance we do a Wedding BBQ Menu option at £22.95 + VAT per person and this will then be worked on 60 guests x £22.95. There's also other BBQ Menu options from £14.95 per person which is then charged PER PERSON. In most cases though the package for up to 100 / 120 / 150 guests would still work out cheaper, even if its for only 60 guests. AND there would be loads leftover if you have a decent Hog Roast catering company coming out. We supply our clients with Leftover Boxes as we would hate for anything to get wasted.

Sorry for using our own company as reference but as I said you will find most BBQ Catering Companies to be similar in their pricing structures.

You will find a lot of info on our FAQ section that might also answer other queries you may have. Again this will apply to most Outside BBQ Catering Companies out there.

If you need any further info you are welcome to get in touch. We're always happy to help!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics