Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah-March-2013
Beginner March 2013

Ok girls, I need help! Feeling down about my outfit *flash*

Sarah-March-2013, 26 June, 2012 at 14:02 Posted on Planning 0 14

This is one of these things that, IRL is totally trivial, but in the world of weddings, is really stressing me out!

I'm really not liking my outfit for the wedding and can't stop thinking about it. I'll talk you through it, and I was hoping you girls could maybe help me start from scratch and accessorise my outfit?? Sorry for length and huge flashes.

So I bought this dress *really quick*, I've had more wobbles than anything else but just now, am happy with it, and think it will be lovely when properly altered...

I'm planning on wearing it from that back of my head rather than the top. I then bought shoes, searched for ages, didn't really like bridal shoes, got really fussy, needed a low heel for OHs height so ended up with these which cost £56. I dont love them at all, but feel I have to wear them now because its a waste! I'm not overly fussed by this, they look okay I suppose...

And I have these for the night...

So now's the problem really. My mum has given me her pearls to wear. My dad gave her them for her 21st. I was really happy to wear them, but now I've put it all on together and it just looks so blah, not WOW at all. I just look like a big boring ivory ball. I *really* wanted to wear a nice silver necklace, or a nice side tiara to break it all up and give it a bit of bling. These are the pearls...

They are lovely on their own. I just feel bleurgh when I put it all on. I've now spent £52 on a hair comb that isn't really my style, the lady who has my dress gave me it to try on so that I would have a bit of sparkle somewhere and I just kind of bought it with resignation that I wouldn't get what I want. I can't upset my mum though. The comb is to be sewn onto my veil and be worn at the back of my head. A side tiara looks too much with the pearls.

So.. I just feel really down and that I look crap. When I bought my dress and quickly had wobbles I thought "ok, I'll just make sure I really do it justice with accessories". I'd love it if you could look at the dress and give me anything you think would really work with it? Veil, hair accessories, jewellery, shoes, anything. I feel like I've lost my vision totally. Thanks.

14 replies

Latest activity by coolartist87, 26 June, 2012 at 20:37
  • C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

Aw, I feel so bad for you. The last think you want is to feel "blah" about what you're wearing for your day ☹️

I think your dress is gorgeous and the shoes don't matter too much because they won't be on show. The important thing is your accessories, because they add the zing that you want/need.

I can understand you not wanting to upset your mum about wearing the pearls; it's a sensitive subject. How about wearing them in an alternative way? Rather than around your neck, have them woven into your hair, maybe? That leaves your neck free for a bit of sparkle, and you can add some diamante earrings, too?

If you don't like the comb, take it back. I did this when I felt pressured into buying something for my wedding and the shop lady was really gracious about it. Rather than having a big tiara or comb, you could have a couple of little sparkly hair pins to catch the light, or maybe a small flower or two?

• S
    Beginner August 2012
    Spookle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

i don't think there is anything worse than feeling down on your big day

• hello@blossomandbird.net
    hello@blossomandbird.net ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure on the day when you have your hair and make up done, your friends and family all around you, and a glass of bubbly in your hand, you will feel amazing! Your dress and veil are beautiful and I imagine look great on, and I LOVE your evening shoes! Like someone else said try wearing your pearls a different way like in your hair or as part of your bouquet (woven through the flowers or wrapped around the stem like rosary beads) then you can have the accessories that you feel most confident in. xXx

• maidenheadgirl
    Beginner May 2013
    maidenheadgirl ·
    • Hide content

So sorry hun! I know how you feel though, I had some wobbles myself recently and my wedding is ages away Smiley winking Its funny though that we both posted something about pearls the same time! I love your mom’s though, it looks really lovely. IMHO the dress is so exquisite, you don’t want anything too blingy or dramatic to distract the attention away from the dress. I personally would have teamed it up with the pearls.

Sell the shoe on Hitched or Ebay so that you can get some of the money back to pay for the shoes you really love. On the other hand you could look at it as part of the get up that no one really notices. I can’t remember what the brides’s shoes looked like at all the weddings I have been to Smiley winking Mine is going to be simple and comfortable I think.

At the end of the day, its your day and if you have the time, look at it all again in a month or two and decide.

Hugs!

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

If you don't like the shoes, sell them, or take them back the same with the comb!

The veil pic I can't see so can't comment! I Love the evening shoes!

The dress is lovely and will look great on the day!

I love the idea of the pearls, how about as a bracelet wrap them a few times round? or round your flowers? or in your hair if your having an updo would be amazing! (something similar was on this morning yesterday a necklace as hair accessory!)

Do what you WANT not what you think is expected or what you think you should do!

Don't feel pressured by anyone!

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Your evening shoes are amazing and I also really like your dress. I also think it's a good idea to try and incorporate your Mum's pearls some other way.

I'm sure some HIB's will be along soon with some ideas to bling your outfir up a bit and make you feel wow.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I don't have much to add to what everyone else has said but WOW. Your dress is GORGEOUS. I absolutely love button-backs and yours is just stunning with the embellishments and train at the back. I have a little bit of dress envy now and I'm already married!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Can you take the shoes back?

I would definitely wear the pearls. Can't you get a smaller side tiara with pearls to incorporate it?

Can you return or sell the comb?

I bet it all looks lovely though really. I love the pearls. Do you think it's because you can't see any embellishments on your head that you're not feeling it?

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

Maybe try it on again, maybe wear your hair similar do your make up nice and see how you feel the next time?

I would go on the hunt for a really nice side tiara, maybe with some nice pearls - I think this will really make your outfit and is something you should really love!

If shoes are your thing then go and find some more, and sell those as others have said - but your evening shoes are really wow I love them!

Don't worry it will all come together one way or another, and you'll feel wow Smiley smile

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I really like the idea of the pearls going into my hair! As long as they wouldnt get damaged. My mum has matching earrings too, maybe those would go nicely too. My DF gave me a nice gold necklace when we got engaged so I could maybe wear that instead. I agree the pearls are lovely, I think its because they are a lot darker in real life, because they are real? They are almost bronze.

The day shoes are bespoke so I can't return those. I'm not too fussed about these really.

I think I might ditch the veil, try the pearls again with just an up do and a small clasp/side tiara thing. With the veil too it defo looked too much.

I have emailed the woman to see if I can return the clip. She has my dress and BM dresses and it wasn't even 28 days ago that I bought it so hopefully she'll let me return it...

Thanks for your advice and kind words about my dress! Love you hitched ladies lol

• M
    Beginner October 2013
    MrsMG ·
    • Hide content

Can I just say... I love your dress!!!!!!! I have not got one yet but I would love to have one like that! However, if you are not 100% happy you must not think of the money and do what makes you happy. It is THE day of your life and you want to be 100% confident.

Hugs!!!! x x

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

It really sounds to me like you have comprimsed on everything and this is probably why you are feeling so down about it, i love the pearls and if you encoroprate them with diamantes in another comb or tiara it would fit very nicely. I think they are beautiful and it is so hard to imagine everything you have brought together until you have it all.

I would also see if you can take the wedding shoes back or sell them on here and continue your search, you will eventually find something that you fall in love with and absolutely want to wear, at the moment you sound as if they will do... and i think thats contributing a whole lot to you anxiety

You will probably loose a bit of money reselling the things you arent sure of and buying things you will love, but thats a price id pay for wanting to feel amazing on my wedding day.

• babyw
    Beginner
    babyw ·
    • Hide content

I would be tempted to wear the glitzy shoes all day if you love them.

Sell/return the satin shoes and return the comb.

I have made you up a moodboard with your dress and I have suggested some accessories. If I can help give me a shout x

http://pinterest.com/lhgdesigns/wedding-accessories-for-dress/

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah, I know exactly what you mean when you are down about your outfit- I went through the same thing, but it wasnt about the accessories, mine was the dress! I had it custom made and honestly it fit and looked perfectly, but it just wasn't Wow.. you know? I thought and thought and came to the conclusion that it just needed more sparkle- so off I go on e-bay to get some broaches to add to the gather on the dress and for various other places. I think you could find a really nice blingy broach possibly with swarovski crystal and your theme colour? What is that by the way? I had an ivory dress too and used claret red, and black but it was a christtmas wedding so it all went okay Smiley tongue I'll flash a pic- but really you could add a broach to the middle of the pearl necklase without altering it and give it a focal point.

Or failing that- poossibly a nice blingy pendant to add to it- I like to augment jewelery to tailor what I want personally in this way so if you really wanted help, I don't mind if your not a do it yourself kind of person.

I personally think there are better more exciting kitten heels out there - I got mine from next wedding collection and I loved the look and they were the most comfortable out there in my opinion http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscar-De-La-Renta-White-Satin-Slingback-Heels-w-Crystal-Broach-US-8-IT-Size-39-/150842901122?pt=US_Women_s_Shoes&hash=item231ef00282#ht_500wt_1413

thats an auction ending soon- but dont know what size your feet are but they are amazing! Its your wedding, its not a waste- trust me you want to love every single part of it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics