Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bowski

Ok Tiling - how hard is it?

Bowski, 8 of February of 2009 at 11:27 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

I really want to retile our kitchen as the tiles are pants.

Mr B is reluctant as he's not big on DIY, where as I'm quite happy to give it a go.

So is it really hard? Will I bugger it up totally? (I know not to grout with a spoon!)

11 replies

Latest activity by Capsicum, 8 of February of 2009 at 16:39
  • alleroo
    Beginner January 2007
    alleroo ·
    • Hide content

If you're careful and take your time, making sure you're staying level and evenly spaced, it's not too bad

cutting tiles can be an arse though

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

It's not that hard, it just takes time if you want to get it perfect. Also cutting can be a pain when they break!

I've done part of the kitchen but still not behind the sink as the wall isn't completely flat ?

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

Do those little plastic + come in handy for the level and even spaced thing.

I'd love tp get the ones on a plastic net so cutting might not be an issue, failing that I'll have to ask my dad for help!

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

It's fairly easy to do, but there are a few tricks for a good finish! I've tiled 3 bathrooms and 2 kitchens to date, including doing all the cutting and grouting, with good results.

Knock off every last but of old adhesive etc off the wall as you'll have a smoother surface to work on.

Use those plastic spacers in the corners AND along the edges of the tiles for even spacing.

Use a spirit level at all times - both along the tops of the tiles to make sure they're straight, and flush against the tile surface for an even finish.

Trowel the adhesive to the wall, rather than against the tile, as this gives you an even coverage. Use a notched spreader to also help even coverage.

I find that a foam grout float helps, especially when using mosaic tiles - easier to achieve even distribution.

Good luck!

• JK
    Beginner February 2007
    JK ·
    • Hide content

I've tiled two bathrooms and a kitchen. It's not hard, but does take really good planning and prep. It's also much more difficult if you have lots of corners and returns, so think about that too. If done badly it really does look sh!te ?

• Rosencrantz
    Rosencrantz ·
    • Hide content

Tiling is not too hard at all but as others have said, make sure you take your time and make sure the tiles stay straight.

Those mosaic tiles that come on net backing are not as easy as they look to lay. I found that, because they are on netting, they slide about on the wall and the gaps between the tiles are not always even. When you move one tile to make it straight, all the other bugg3rs move too!

Tiles are simple to cut as long as you have an electric cutter. You can hire them from toold hire shops and I really recommend you do this as it makes the whole job faster.

I'd never tiled before we replaced the kitchen and so had the whole lot to do, I found it as easy as painting and much easier than wallpapering.

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

I should add that tiling around plug sockets is an absolute swine! Try and plan the layout of the tiles before you begin - I like to try and plan it so that plug sockets fall where a natural join is, if possible. You can loosen the front plates of the socket so the raw edges of the tile slip behind. This helps give you a much neater finish. There is a rule about whether you work out from the corner, or in towards the corner - can't remember, but I'm pretty certain you work inwards so you have nice straight edges at the sides. The raggy corners can are grouted out.

• S
    spinster chick ·
    • Hide content

I am not bad at diy but cannot tile if my life depended on it I can't get them straight even with spacers!

• Redbedhead
    Beginner August 2006
    Redbedhead ·
    • Hide content

I have done 2 kitchens and a bathroom and LOVE tiling. Just make sure you have everything you need and plan what order you are going to tile in. Be aware that you may need to let some tiles set before you tile the rows above them, particularly you are tiling on to certain surfaces (i.e. other tiles). The cutting can be a bugger, depending on what cutter you have and the thickness of the tiles though, plus doing fiddly bits can be frustrating!!

I find tiling therapeutic!

• L
    Dedicated November 2002
    Lizbeth ·
    • Hide content

I have tiled two bathrooms and a kitchen so far and actually really like doing it. Its not difficult as long as you get the right kit and take your time, prep well etc.

I would never, ever tile again without the help of an electric tile cutter - think ours was diamond tipped - makes it so much easier and quicker.

Smaller tiles are easier to tile with than the great big huge ones; i have 4" sq tiles in the kitchen and they were much easier to deal with - less cutting, etc. Mosaic tiles on a net are a pain in the bum!

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

I like tiling. It's important to remember the mantra that "it'll look better when it's grouted" ?

If you can buy/borrow/hire an electric tile cutter it's much much easier than scoring and cracking them.

• Capsicum
    Beginner
    Capsicum ·
    • Hide content

Seconded re hiring or investing in a decent wet tile cutter - those crappy plastic ones are a false economy as you end up snapping so many tiles anyway. Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics