Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Old school

15 of March of 2015 at 19:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 42

So today I made and ate this bad boy...

What are your fave old school puddings?

I try and bring a new one back from the past every few months and need some inspiration!

42 replies

Latest activity by AuntieBJ, 16 of March of 2015 at 17:49
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Spotted dick, Treacle tart, jam roly poly!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

At the risk of sounding really stupid... What is that Schwelly?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

So obvious what it is now you've said I looked at picture and couldn't figure it out. I think I may need to try this! !

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god schwelley, send some my way, I LOVED cornflake tart!!! With regards to the regional statement, where abouts in the world are you? my absolute fave school pud was a butterscotch tart. soooooo goooood!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I couldn't figure out what it was either! I can't think what puddings we had at school, apart from mint and strawberry flavour custard.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Ah, right, not a million miles from me then, I'm from the East Midlands, Nottingham. Butterscotch tart was the best, same short crust base as the cornflake tart, but with a creamy set topping. Not as sickly sweet as a treacle tart, more of a mellow fudge taste. google it and see :-)

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Even now knowing that it's a cornflake tart I can't get my head round it, whats in it? My absolute favourite is sticky toffee pudding

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Definitely never heard of cornflake tart!

We didn't really have hot desserts with our school dinners. We did have what we called pink cakes though. Basically just sponge with pink icing and hundreds and thousands. But it was cooked like a tray bake, it was lush!

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I wonder if some of the things we look back on as delicious from childhood would be still so pleasing to our taste buds

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I feel like I've missed out here! I don't think my school did hot puddings, they just did things like shortcake! I took a packed lunch so I wouldn't have had a pudding anyway but still!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

My school dinners used to make me want to vomit, so I didn't have them either! They were awful.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

YES, I loved that. (I am also Midlands, just outside Brum)

My fave was chocolate concrete, with green custard. Could have seconds, and thirds of that.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

This is W's favourite pudding, she a Manc. As a southerner, I can confirm I have never seen a Cornflake Cake (which is what she calls it) and don't fancy a try of it either. I also don't get on with treacle, syrup, caramel or any of those other sugar based sauces.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

My favourite pudding is anything with evaporated milk and something to soak it up like an apple sponge or a cherry crumble. Mmmmmm

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My dad still eats bowls of tinned fruit filled to the brim with Tip-Top for pudding. I'm not entirely sure I know what Tip-Top is.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We used to have tip top on over our trifle when we were kids. It's kinda like a cream you can pour but not quite.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think schools should have done foreign exchange trips to the north! Haha. I've heard so many foods this weekend that I've never heard of before, I've now added tip top to that list!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I dunno that I'd recommend Tip-Top. But definitely butter pie, parched peas and chips with gravy. What about Midget Gems? Uncle Joe's Mintballs? (Sorry, two threads crossing into each other now.)

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I went to a tiny Catholic school which only had 180 pupils in total! We had the best school chef ever - she made all her own pastry, every single pudding was supervised by her and every main meal cooked to perfection. I think there were only about 6 kids who didn't have school dinner and they had to sit on a different table to the rest of us.

Her food was amazing!! Every Christmas we had a full on roast dinner with all the trimmings and followed up with Christmas pudding and custard - made from scratch. She left the school when she was told she had to buy in readymade stuff because she refused to feed children cr*p.

I will never ever forget Mrs Kirby!!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We had stuff like that for school dinner too - I recall a disgusting chicken pie we used to get given, I'm sure the chicken must have come from a tin. Bleurgh.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Schwelly - you should make a selection of School Dinner desserts and have them couriered to Manchester. C'mon, chop chop.

The only one I remember distinctly from school was sponge and pink custard. Yummo.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Oh man, i forgot how much I LOVED cornflake tarts at primary school - it was the best pudding ever there! Haven't had one in donkeys - thank for the recipe! Its happening!

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Have to disagree with coloured custards tho, there used to be jugs of thick green and pink at school and they made me pukey, even though I absolutely love custard usually! I also dont remember ever getting a knickerblocker glory schwelley - i think i must have missed that treat by a day or so each year! sad face!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of cornflake tart. I don't like any hot puddings though.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Schwelley - I love faggots and mushy peas (can't eat normal peas but can eat mushys!)

My mum's from Sutton Coldfield though so close-ish to the black Country.

I remember one year (when she was about 8) my little sister requested faggots for her birthday dinner!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Mmm.. I like faggots, but hadn't tried them until I lived in Salisbury

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I want Cornflake tart! I had half forgotten about Manchester tart! Do you have a recipe for the cornflake tart Schwelley? I have never heard of chocolate concrete?! I love the old school desserts like jam roly poly, treacle sponge, rhubarb crumble etc. I had forgotten about Tip Top!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Erin, this is chocolate concrete

It's amazing. I have made it for my kids.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

with a sparkler? Im not sure our schools budget stretched to sparklers but i kinda feel owed one after all those years of missing out!

faggots are brilliant, i introduced them to OH a few years back - just Mr Brains ones (ive never had a fresh butchers made one), and theyre fab

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Love, love, love faggots! But we have them with mash and ordinary peas, not mushy ones because they're just ugh!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics