Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HappyPinkHair15172
Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside

Older Brides and Grooms - why are we invisible to Hitched?

HappyPinkHair15172, 10 of May of 2020 at 17:12 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi all

Just a thought.......

Why are there absolutely no images or non-patronising articles for older brides and grooms?

Just sent a message to Hitched about this. I feel like I'm invisible!

This article for "older brides" is unbelievably condescending and patronising.

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/bridalwear-articles/second-marriage-wedding-dresses/.

It's also very old now. Even the images used in it are all of younger (and stunning!) young women. Come on Hitched, we deserve some features on what it's like to be an older/second (or more) time bride.

I got married for the first time in 1991. How things have changed! What about canvassing your readership for their experiences and opinions?

2 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 11 of May of 2020 at 20:46
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

That article does seem a little confused, as it can't make up its mind if it's talking to older brides, second-time brides or both! I've met a number of women who have embarked on marriage number 2 before their mid 20s. I'm in my mid 40s and I'm getting married for the first time! I did find the advice on a veil being 'too much' to be rather patronising though - I'm not planning on wearing one, but if that's what older or second time brides want, that should be what they get!

I think the reason for the young & glamorous models is that this is how all the wedding designers photograph their dresses - the photo at the beginning of the article does show an older couple, but any time you have pictures of wedding dresses as examples of what to wear, they are going to be on younger women.

In general, I don't find the lack of advice for older brides bothers me though - these days, the rules seem to be very much 'do what works for you'. Regarding wedding dresses, I think by the time women are old enough to class as 'older brides', they probably have a very good idea of what works for them dress-wise anyway. I did find a couple of articles on 'dresses for older brides' on other sites, but they were all far more revealing than I would be happy with! I've always preferred modest, loose fitting clothing, so I've gone for a long sleeved, high necked dress with a flowy skirt. I know a lot of people will probably say it's too plain, but I love it and feel good in it, so I don't really care what anyone else thinks. Just as long as my fiance likes it, and he says I'd look great in a bin liner (Now he tells me - a bin liner would have been much cheaper!)

It would be nice to see a few more 'real weddings' with older brides though. Our wedding photographer has photographed lots of older couples, so there must be loads out there getting married.

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun

Your dress sounds perfect for you! I bet you feel a million dollars in it. I do agree with you though, there does seem to be an awful lot of very revealing (and stunning) gowns out there, and if I was 30 years younger, I would deffo be considering one!

I'm not one for rules myself, I have a full on ballgown with train for my second marriage taking place next year. My first dress was a 1991 satin "bell", there's no other way to describe it, end of line Berketex sale job! Cost me £125. What is it they say, marry in haste, repent at leisure!

My H2B is just tremendous, and I can't wait to be his Mrs! He has insisted on me having a veil as he wants to lift it at the right moment (it's his first wedding!) and he really was quite firm on me having what he called "a traditional gown", because he knew what a crap affair my first wedding (and marriage!) was.

I just wish that websites like Hitched and the others would kind of balance their images a bit more, to represent the bridal demographic as it were!

Anyway, I await their reply with interest!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It would be great all round - with so many people getting married later in life, either for the first time or not, many women purchasing bridal gowns will be older, so perhaps it's time bridal manufacturers stopped photographing all their dresses on teenagers and 20-somethings! I've seen a couple of small independent makers who use older models, but mostly it's all really young women.

I think I'd probably be going for my current dress style even if I was much younger - when I asked my fiance what he'd like me to wear, he fixed me with a stern eye and said 'you are NOT to wear a duvet cover' - because he knows that is what I'd probably turn up in given the chance!

He was the one who was keen on a traditional dress for me too - I'd have been happy just to get a nice dress that I could wear again. But we have found a good compromise. The dress I have chosen is viscose, so I'm planning on dying it and re-wearing it for special events!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics