Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

misselle
Beginner July 2013

OMs- Guests RSVP yes then not turn up on the day

misselle, 17 January, 2013 at 14:05 Posted on Planning 0 30

OM's one for you, did you have any guests who sent an RSVP saying they would be attending and then just didn't turn up on the day or any that gave very short notice that they wouldn't be able to make it?

I ask because I’m inviting an old friend to the wedding and my mum is convinced that whilst she will RSVP yes, as she is a bit flaky she won't actually turn up on the day of the wedding.

Do people actually do this? I know I wouldn't personally as its bad manners but wondered if anyone had experienced this?

30 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 18 January, 2013 at 16:10
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Yes, two couples, for completely valid reasons.

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    Sephy ·
    • Hide content

I was at a wedding last year and yes people do do this unfortunately. I think its the height of rudeness particularly if you know a meal has been paid for, for you. We had an empty space at out table and basically we all shared out the extra meals between us so it didn't go to waste.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, one person but as it was before I did the table plan, I wasn't bothered! (I didn't know him - it was one of H's cousins).

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

Yes, my mate and his girlfriend RSVP'd yes, his mum told me about 3 Hours before the wedding that he had decided he couldnt come. To be fair ours was an informal wedding with no sit down meal so they were not missed, but still it was something I never would have expected.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have anyone cancel who had RSVP'd with a yes x

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

We had a couple that didnt turn up to the evening do, no biggie but we did have one guy that was invited to the whole thing.

he text my H in the morning to say he had had to go into work so would prob miss the ceremony but would try his hardest to get there as soon as possible. He never turned up.

it was a shame and think H was a bit miffed. but he is always really busy and having to work unsocialbe hours he was working on a high profile website that had had issues.

It meant that we had a table with an empty space and only 1 man on surrounded by women but that's ti!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Three didnt come to the day, cousin and two children. No notice, no contact since, just didnt turn up! And they'd only RSVP'd a couple weeks before. Very annoying.

As for the evening do, there were a few I realised later on, but didnt notice on day as there was too much going on.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

We had about 6 (from 120) who couldn't make it in the end.

3 of those were always maybe's anyway for very good reasons and they checked when we needed final numbers and told us before then (one couple had a baby 2 weeks before, they really wanted to come but she had a c section and couldn't face the travel, the other was working abroad and couldn't get back).

One couple said they couldn't find a babysitter (despite having 6 months notice). OH was very annoyed about this one.

Someones kid was in hospotal.

So I guess most were children related, which is part of the risk if you don't invite kids.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

For our home wedding party (which was more informal, but numbers were still important for catering etc) two couples just didnt show up and haven't mentioned it since. They are H's football friends and he hasn't really been to the football since, but he's definitely seen them about.

I think around 12 people pulled out in the week running up to it with various pathetic reasons. As it was informal (ish) it didn't matter toooooo much in terms of a table plan etc but it was still annoying).

At my sister's wedding, one couple texted on the morning to say their daughter had a cold so they couldn't come. They bumped up some evening guests who'd arrived early.

At my BIL's wedding, one couple said they couldn't come as one of them was unwell, then they turned up in the evening absolutely hammered (this was a middle aged couple as well!)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yes, a friends partner. Was so annoyed because she had known two weeks before that she wasn't going to make it, dont know why she didn't tell us.

Likewise the best man and his GF pulled out 5 days before the wedding. No valid reason except she was a knob.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The best man pulled out?

? I'm lost for words right now!

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

We ended up doing this to someone Smiley sad It was one of my work colleagues and we couldn't find the venue! We didn't have an official invite and just knew the town where the church was, drove around for hours with a baby in the car all tarted up. After 3 hours we went home, we knew we had missed the ceremony and it was silly to wait several more hours for the evening do.

It was completely my fault, I should have researched before hand. I'm blaming it on being young, naive and a new mum!

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

None of our guests cancelled or didn't show up.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

The only people who RSVP'd yes and then didn't come were H's grandparents, but this wasn't a major surprise. His gran is not well and we had planned with the possibility that they wouldn't be able to make it (we had two table plans prepared just in case!), but the final decision wasn't made until the morning of the wedding.

We also had a couple of people who, despite RSVPing yes, then said they might not be able to make it in the days before, for a variety of reasons. They all ended up coming.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

OH's friend, and our videographer, sent a facebook message 1 hour before the ceremony started saying "sorry I can't make it but hope you have a great day". We had paid a lot of money for his meal and he never even said why he couldn't come. I was seriously annoyed about it, especially since OH had several other friends coming who could have properly filmed it instead if he'd given us notice the night before. He has his own production company and I'm desperate to put a nasty message on his FB page but we decided giving him the silent treatment was the best way to handle it. Dick. One other day guest didn't come but he had norovirus which obviously can't be helped!

Quite a few evening guests didn't turn up but we kind of expected that because we got married the week between Christmas and New Year. We hadn't paid per head for evening guests so it wasn't a big deal.

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    Hayse-08/10/11 ·
    • Hide content

Everyone who accepted their invite turned up. However, our caterer did say it is very typical for people not to turn up and we should be prepared for it.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's terrible! Apalling! Do you think he's noticed the silent treatment?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

At my friends wedding in October, she'd invited her parents cousins but not their children.. 1 set of these cousins was 1 woman and 2 men. The woman turned up with her THREE children in tow, and the men never turned up... so 2 meals were easily sorted but then another meal had to be found. More to the point though, it put other people's noses out of joint as they'd arranged childcare for their kids.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

We were lucky that everyone who rsvp-ed came. I understand it is quite common, but I would be livid, unless it was an emergency situation.

I saw a friend on fb, a couple of nights before her wedding, put something up like "If there is anyone else who suddenly can't make my wedding in 2 days time because they've suddenly realised they have to work now, or whatever it is, please let me know immediately" - Felt really sorry for her!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

We had a great aunt not turn up due to back pain from a fall 2 weeks earlier. We already knew she wasnt well, but had asked her to let us know if she didnt think she'd come.

Also had another friend not turn up at all. He had been a last minute replacement of another guest though & we weren't sure he'd come anyway.

Despite being very organised & punctual, we didnt make it to a wedding we confirmed going to. We were moving house to emigrate & spent days packing & running around everywhere. We drove the 3hrs to the town the wedding was in, got to the hotel, unpacked our outfits & fell asleep!!! We awoke about 11pm, having missed the whole thing. I felt absolutely terrible, even though it was OH's work collegue & I'd never met the couple. We are all friends now, but I still feel terrible about what happened.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

If anyone just doesn't turn up on the day of my wedding it better be because they are dead otherwise they soon will be when I get my hands on them!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

If anyone just doesn't turn up on the day of my wedding it better be because they are dead otherwise they soon will be when I get my hands on them!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably not yet but he will the next time he asks OH to help him with a project. I've made a point of writing recommendations for all our suppliers on Facebook and will do the same on here when I do my report so he's missed a real business opportunity never mind letting down a friend.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

None of our guests cancelled or didn't show up.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I think only 3 of our evening guests (OH's mate, wife and little girl) couldn't make it. They live about an hour's drive away and the wife had recently found out she was pregnant but having a bad time and didn't feel well enough to travel. All our day guests were there.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Out of 56 guests who accepted the invitation for the day, none just didn't show, only 2 (a couple) gave short notice (2 weeks) that they wouldnt be able to make it.

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

We had one day guest not turn up. He texted OH on the morning of the wedding to say he wasn't coming as he couldn't find a pair of trousers to wear! We've not spoken to him since.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Nope and nope from me. Everyone that said they were coming was there on the day

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

I haven’t been able to get back on the internet to post since yesterday but thank you so much everyone for your replies. I can’t believe its more common that I had ever thought. I’m worried now.

I don’t mind so much if I get told a few days in advance so I can see if someone else can take their place but I will be livid on the day if people don’t turn up for the meal part after we have spent so much money on them.

I’m not so bothered if people don’t turn up to the night time reception but its just so rude to not go to a wedding without telling people why or very last minute without a good excuse when you know how much the couple have spent on you.

I’ll have to wait and see what my friends RSVP is. She is also due to come to my Hen night and if she doesn’t turn up to that I’ll be asking if she is sure she can actually make the wedding. She doesn’t really have the childcare excuse as I’ve invited her partner and their child to the full event.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

It is very rude and selfish pulling out last minute from attending someones wedding without a very good reason -l am thinking being very ill or a death in the family.

For OH's middle sisters wedding then people pulled out on the day. Some of them had clearly known for a while as they were travelling far and would have had to book a hotel.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics