Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rizzo
Beginner July 2011

OM's - Hangover The Day After Your Wedding

Rizzo, 26 July, 2011 at 09:21 Posted on Planning 0 59

I'm sitting here with a raging hangover and it made me think how pleased I was that I didn't have a hangover the day after my wedding. I can't think of anything worse than spending the first day of your married life feeling like crap.

Did anyone else have hangover? I'm surprised I didn't with the amount I drunk:

Bucks Fizz when I woke up

Shared a bottle of champagne with my BM when we were getting ready

Two glasses of Pimms

Third of a bottle of rose

A glass of champagne

Vodka and coke in the evening.

It was a miracle I was hangover free....

59 replies

Latest activity by Rod, 26 July, 2011 at 13:34
  • moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I seem to get a hangover now, no matter what I drink, but even more so if I drink any sort of wine or fizz.

Think I might need to have a t-total wedding day to avoid feeling rubbish the next morning!

Although I have got a spa booked for the next day, so a bit of a swim and a steam might sort me out otherwise

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I was drunk at my wedding; not so bad that I was falling over or lost my memory but I had a fair few.

Two bottles of champagne whilst getting ready (between 4 of us).

Vodka & orange (just before I left the room to settle my nerves)

Champagne all day - I never had an empty glass in my hand.

Vodka and Redbull for most of the night.

I was so hungover the next day.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I was on too much of a high the next day to be tired or have a hangover.

Impressive as I started drinking at 8 in the morning that day...

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I started the day with a bottle of champagne. Had a few glasses of it at the hairdressers, then polished it off with my BMs at home. Then had a few more bottles open that I supped from.

At the wedding, had 4 -5 glasses of champagne, but mainly drank water. Was sooo hot that's all I wanted. What a waste of our unlimited drinks package! Mr S made up for it though. Lots of people were having Jagerbombs. Gutted I missed out.

ETA: Didn't have a hangover as wasn't drunk.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I'm impressed by you ladies. I am a total lightweight and 3 glasses of champagne was enough for me!

My poor H barely had a couple of beers all day, and he was fine the next morning at breakfast (we were alone, in a different hotel to our guests) but then he got a huge migraine and couldn't go to the family lunch. Everyone was teasing him saying he must be hungover but he genuinely wasn't!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

If I had to swear on the Bible that I was sober when I walked down the aisle, I don't think I'd be able to...

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had half a bottle of bubbles while getting ready at 11am

A glass of bubbles and a glass of wine during reception drinks

3 glasses of wine during dinner

Another 3 glasses of wine at the start of the evening

A shot of apple sourz

Malibu & Lemonade for the rest of the evening

Lots and lots of water as I was so bloomin hot!! (I think this helped...)

So yes, not excessive for me really but I was merry... and no hangover! Sore feet though...

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We both had terrible hangovers the next day. However, this was also after only 4 hours sleep - awoke with a knawing hunger as didnt have any buffet the previous evening.

We drank a hell of a lot and then i had a flashback of us all doing jagerbombs at the bar...bleaugh

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

It's wine that gets me drunk really quickly, so i better be careful. Can we toast with apple sourz? ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*makes mental note**

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could vary the flavour so that it matches your colour scheme... blue aftershock anyone???

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I think I felt so rough the next day because I had hardly eaten. On the morning of my wedding I couldnt eat any breakfast, I only eat half the starter at the WB and that was it.

I may have to go back to our venue and have the meal again as everyone still comments on how lovely the food was. I didnt even see the evening buffet as I was too busy dancing and mingling. Gutted I didnt eat any!!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For our wedding breakfast, we're having a barbecue where you basically queue up and get what you want. We've planned to let the top table go first, and ask the CBM and BM to grab us each a plate of stuff, and we'll go round our 4 tables to have a picture taken with each tableful before letting them join the food queue - it'll mean people aren't standing waiting for so long because of the photos. Then, by the time we've got to the last table and let them go up, we can go join the top table again and sit down to eat our food that has been got for us. Then of course once the last table have sat down people can just go up and have seconds or thirds as they want it.

Then, for the evening buffet, of course, we'll be the head of the queue (as it's our day and we're the most important people) so we'll get at least a plateful.

We are ensuring that we both have sufficient to eat and drink during the day, not just because we've paid for it all, but it's important to ensure that we look after ourselves and our needs as well as those of our guests.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How is that relevant to what I said?

FWIW I hate queuing for food; reminds me of school dinners.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping I'm not too hungover the next day as we're flying to Crete at 2pm! I do plan to get p1ssed in the evening though so we will see! Oh and I def want champagne while I'm getting ready!

Hair of the dog at the airport then!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

We didnt go on our minimoon until the Monday so we had a day to recover. If we were leaving for our minimoon the day after the wedding I "may" have been a little more strict with myself!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

You said how you missed out on the food, I was merely sharing how we've put a plan in place to make sure what happened to you doesn't happen to us.

There is no other option than to queue for food - it's a barbecue that you serve yourself. If you have a formal sit down meal you have to queue as the staff can only bring a couple of plates at a time, the only difference is your sitting down. What would you suggest as an alternative?

We thought the photo with each table thing would be ideal because then it reduces the time that you have to hang around in the queue.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I missed the food because I couldnt eat due to nerves, excitement etc; not because I forgot.

I wanted my guests to be served on my wedding day and enjoy a chat and a drink whilst waiting for food.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Well regardless of the reasons you or anyone else missed out on food on your big day, we've factored into our day's timetable a way to ensure that, whatever happens, we will be able to eat and drink sufficient to keep us going.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I should have asked you to make a wedding pack for me so I didnt go hungry.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I was too excited to eat all day. No breakfast, vast majority of my meal was shared between my Dad and H and I had one bit of buffet food in the evening which was stolen off MIL's plate. Didn't have time to feel hungry, far too much going on and I didn't want to miss a moment of it.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly. Food was the last thing on my mind.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

AJ- make sure that there is enough food for everyone and that there is food for those with dietary requirements.

I went to a friends wedding a few years ago and it was a buffet meal. The staff at the hotel called up each table one by one to go and get food. Our table was called last (people from other tables were going up for seconds before we had firsts). By the time we got there, there was hardly any food left and the food that was there was all meat (ribs). I am vegetarian. There was half of a cheese sandwich, so I had that. That's it. All day. I was starving.

The staff at the hotel should have asked for those with dietry requirements to go up first that way they would actually get some food that they can eat. There were 150-200 guests and I reckon that the bride and groom had undercatered.

I really hate buffets.

The only time I have seen it work is when there have been a small number of people (and so you are not waiting for ages in a queue and when you get there, there is actually some food left) e.g. 50, or where each table has a selection of food to help themselves to (the hotel staff then walked around with trays of meat/cheese).

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't quite put my finger on it but this doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I feel like, as the hosts, we should be inviting our guests to go and get food before us? I think I would ensure I had something left for me by asking the venue to set a plate aside.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Exactly the reason I hate them too. We went to a friend's wedding a couple of years ago and they had a buffet where each table went up one at a time; we were the second to last table to go up and there was barely anything left. The last table to be served had to run over the garage across the road and buy some crisps as there was no food left.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hate hate hate my veggie food being stolen by greedy people who just fancy "trying it" Smiley smile

We have asked our venue to make up a plate for each of our guest who have any requirements. I will get them to stick a little flag with the guest's name on it onto the plate.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

AJ, your eating plans may go out the window. You can't predict how you will feel on the day, you may not feel like eating...

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Already factored special diets in, we've only got a couple of vegetarians and those with specific dietary requirements, which we've factored into what food we provide - for example we'd both have loved a hog roast but that would have left the vegetarians with nothing but a bread roll to eat. There will be about 55 of us at the wedding breakfast.

The evening buffet will, after we've had ours, be "free for all" anyway so people can come and go as they please.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you serve yourselves first when you have people over for dinner? You're the hosts - you encourage your guests to eat first. Pretty poor manners otherwise, surely you can see that?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If either of us had any nerves about getting married, we wouldn't be getting married. The nervousness on the day will be standing up in front of people and being the centre of attention (which we both hate) but I'm quite sure the thought of wastage of good food we've already paid for will help overcome any feelings.

After all, the last thing either of us want to do is pass out and ending up in the back of an ambulance, due to lack of sustenance on the day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics