Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

OM's: statistically speaking is this likely to be a "regrets" type response

14 May, 2011 at 09:18 Posted on Planning 0 14

Morning!

We sent out our Wedding Invites in the last week and they've been arriving at a nice pace. This morning we received a card from a close member of my family, with a wedding gift in it but no indication of whether they were coming or not. In your experience would this be likely to mean they're not coming?

I'm seriously baffled by this, why wouldn't they give it on the day if they were coming?

14 replies

Latest activity by fatbride, 14 May, 2011 at 12:58
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Tradition and etiquette says you give your gift upon receiving your invitation. So it might not mean they aren't going to be there on the day!

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

I'd call them, never had anything like this in my replies. Of course I didn't get proper replies from about half the people I invited. Some told us verbally because 99% of our guests were local and we saw them all the time and some just didn't bother to reply lol. If they're close maybe they assumed you know they're coming? There's nothing on the front of the card that gives an indication? My H came in all excited one day with a card from an auntie thinking she was coming only for my to point out the card said 'wedding regret' on the front!!

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

I will give you a laugh, my mum's side eg my 5 aunts and their partners and my uncle and his guest are all probable declines! As its too far for them to travel and will be too expensive (they are in the western Isles and im in northumberland. Well i suppose i will save a fortune! lol

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

I don't know the answer but I wanted to give you a hug for what your grandparent said! I would be incredibly hurt if mine said that Smiley sad

xxx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Interesting... we haven't had one gift (or enquiry) from any accept or decline responses. I hope that's not a bad sign!

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I remember reading that technically you don't need to send a gift at all if you don't intend to attend the wedding - some more hope for you?

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We got a few gifts before but most either in the 2 week run up or on/after the day - it's been 4 weeks and we're still getting cards etc lol

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We sent our invitations out early to give everyone the best possible chance of getting there, whether it's because of saving up due to the travelling, booking a weekend off work, getting the cheap deals for hotels/flights etc (got a few people coming down from Scotland).

It's just over four months till our big day. All but about 3 invites are back, with the guest list currently on 125 if you include us.

I know getting gifts isn't the reason you invite people but I do hope we get at least one or two things - even if it is just a toaster...

One of our guests from Scotland is visiting some friends for a couple of days before our wedding and going to Newbury Races on the Friday... so I guess our gift from him may depend on whether he has a successful day or not!

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't wish too hard for a toaster... we asked for gift vouchers rather than presents as we're limited on space where we are and already have all the gadgets H actually needs - we still managed to get TWO slow cookers (taking our total to 3 lol)

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

There is a reason I have a toaster as an icon... it's tucked away in the forum somewhere...

Whilst of course 'all gifts will be greatfully received', our preference is for cash or vouchers - as we want to save up to get a place of our own, and furnish it. My sofa is knackered, the washing machine will need replacing in a year or so, and the chances of one guest giving several enough (or buying it outright) are fairly remote, however 10 people giving £20 each is much more realistic.

The big problem is that as I've already got a furnished flat of my own which she'll be moving in to short term until we can find somewhere bigger, there isn't a lot I need - and honestly I'd much rather have the cash sitting in an ISA for 6 months earning something until we move then can get the nice new stuff we want.

Or that 50" flat screen TV I want... drool...

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

I know exactly what you mean. I only have two grandparents left and one of those is in France. She did tell me that she might not be able to come as she is pretty much bed-bound now and I do understand but I will still be heartbroken if she can't be there! Smiley sad

I pretty much expect the other granny to be there but if she didnt come I would be shocked and hurt!

All I can tell you is for those for whom its all 'too much hassle' then its their loss! They will be the ones missing out on your lovely day! And I bet they regret it in the end!

xxx

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Dilly you are not on your own! my grandad is going on holiday - the same one he has done for the last 15+ years and can't be bothered to come back for my wedding, and he had the audacity to say if i wanted him there i should move the date! - to which i told him to go fly! and instead he is trying to buy his way out of guilt...... still had lots of tears - on a more positive note his older 90 year old sister - my great aunt who is BLIND and not in the best of health is coming down from Lancaster to cambridge have no idea how she is getting there - will see her next weekend.

My mum suggested we photoshop a picture of her dad in next to me - to which i can't repeat what i said apart from if he wants a picture he can turn up!

wishing you all the best and hope you get a few nice surprises like me!

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

My Gran is my only living grad parent and she is also traveling from the wester isles and has said she will be coming, but i will be mighty pissed off if she decides not to (unless its health related) as in the past 2 yrs she has travel to Toronto, seattle and Washington DC to attened weddings of her nieces/nieces children.

Also re gifts, we have not asked for anything and people can get what they like if they like but as we have been togather 8.5yrs we have everything we need.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics