Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Buzzee
Beginner January 2012

OMs - Where to sell your wedding dress?! (Cheeky flash!)

Buzzee, 31 March, 2012 at 10:53 Posted on Planning 0 13

Well, i've tried Preloved, Sellmywedding and now Ebay to no avail!! No one seems to want my dress! It's not that bad is it!?!? Where did you sell your wedding dress and did you get a good price for it!?

13 replies

Latest activity by Buzzee, 2 April, 2012 at 20:51
  • F
    Beginner
    Flickerty ·
    • Hide content

No, it's lovely! Is it Romantica of Devon?

I switched dresses and had the same problem with selling the old one, waiting ages with barely any interest but then suddenly everyone wanted it at the same time and I had loads of enquiries! Just goes like that sometimes I guess. Gumtree ended up being the most sucessful place I advertised. And also the swap and sell bit on You and Your Wedding - both free as well. You just have to keep on the ball with bumping it up the listings. Make sure you list the make and naame of the dress as well as lots of people google for a specific dress they've already tried on. Good luck!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's not a case of nobody wanting it, more they don't want to pay what you're asking.

Normally if people are looking at second hand dresses they want a bargain. Either because budgets are tight or because they want to spend money save to have alterations done to it to make it 'their' dress. I was the latter and my alterations have cost almost £300.

I don't think you can realistically expect more than half what it cost new. In fact a third of the cost (or less!) is more likely.

The dresses listed saying 'Cost £1500 new, will accept £1000' just won't sell because brides know they can get a new dress for that price. So unless yours is a mega designer or one of a few dresses and highly sort after, I think you'd sell it but only for a lot less than you perhaps expected.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I agree on the price issue. My dress would have been £2500 full price, but I got it for £800 in the sale, and it hasn't been worn before.

I knew that if budget hadnt stretched that far that I could have got wonderfylly lovely brand new dresses for between £400-600.

Even if you did get around £500 for it, that is still a really good amount of money for something that will just sit in a wardrobe otherwise, and will be enough for a nice holiday cottage booking somewhere, or just a good shopping trip!

It is a lovely dress, so will sell at the right price.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not entirely true.

I sold mine for around £1000 on preloved.

There is also a second hand dress shop http://www.jaclyn-ann.co.uk/ that will sell it for you.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

But cookiecat yours hadn't been worn by a bride at a wedding. It was as new, just not needed anymore.

I think dresses that have been worn lose a lot more value. Well I wouldn't pay anywhere near the new price for a worn dress. An 'as new' dress is a different kettle of fish.

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THIS.

I am yet to buy a dress but when i look at preloved, ebay etc 2 things put me off some dresses the first is the price, i am willing to buy second hand as i don't have a big budget when it comes to the dress and given the choice between a £1000 2nd hand dress and a £500 dress in the sale or a sample i will be going with the sale dress! the second thing is i am a little put off by pics of women wearing the dresses i think a pic of the dress hanging up and one of the dress that the website would have shown when you brought it will make it seem more appealing (even clothes on ebay always sell for alot more shown on the hanger rather than worn) even if the woman in question could pass for a model herself! your dress is lovely im sure now its coming upto peak wedding season it will sell.

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    katzan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, I totally disagree on that one. I want both pictures, the one of the dress by itself and the one of someone wearing it.

Even though a used dress is likely to be in just as good (if not better) condition that a sample dress from the shop, I think a lot of people feel more comfortable buying a dress in the sample sale that they can have a good look at and try on before committing to it.

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, will try those other sites. The dress RRP is anywhere between £975 and £1200 (It is Ellis Bridals by the way!) I had advertised it for £450 which I thought was a fair price?

will keep trying!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

You'll sell it! It just might take time for the right bride to come along.

Can you change the wording in your listing somehow to say 'looking for £450 but willing to consider serious offers'

It might generate more interest because people think they can haggle. Then if they come and see it (I'd always make sure OH or a friend is at home with you just in case!) they might fall in love with the dress and pay your asking price.

Good luck with selling it. I bought a second hand dress (a worn one too) so bride's are out there!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes, these things take time. I think you're asking a fair price, so you might just have to be a bit more patient.

(I didn't sell my first wedding dress, I cut it up to make some very expensive cushion covers ?)

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I did buy it if I thought for one minute I'd squeeze into it! That's exactly the dress I want!

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Laura - it's such a flattering dress! I'm normally a 16, so was suprised to order a 14! Are you sure it'll be too big?

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I'm sure! Unfortunately Smiley sad

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Well i'm sure you'll look stunning whatever size - have you tried it on yet in a shop? I definitely knew it was "the one" as soon as i tried it on. what colour band are you gonna go for!?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics