Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

OMs/anyone - honeymoon recs? Short-haul in August

pandorasbox, 3 May, 2011 at 18:25 Posted on Planning 0 8

As above really - we thought we had it sorted and planned to be staying in a villa in Santorini, flights are approx 800quid for the 2 of us which is OK, but then the villa itself was a 'luxury' place and came to around £3000 for a week - accommodation only. At first we thought stuff it, once in a lifetime, etc, but now we have started thinking it is far too much.

We widened the search and found most of the hotels and villas on the island are 'luxury' and so come with the luxury price tag. Staying there a few nights and then finding somewhere cheaper for the rest of the week doesn't end up saving much as it seems most of the places are dear there.

We were going to ask for contributions as our wedding gifts, but are still feeling uncomfortable spending this amount of money on a holiday. Plus we have to make sure we pay up front before we might get any possible cash for wedding presents, so not sure we want to commit to such a hefty amount for a week. We realised this money could be put to better use as it feels presumptious to get people to pay for our honeymoon, and sort of a 'waste' of money just for a weeks holiday when we have the rest of our lives together to take holidays if we want!

I am wondering if anyone had any ideas for a short-haul holiday we could go on for an August honeymoon but that is really nice. We don't really want to pay more than 2k - less is better if anyone knows anywhere!

We would like some sun but not too hot, (so no canary islands) and not keen on a city break as we want to try and do that later on in the year, ideally it would be a really nice hotel in a beach resort, possibly all inclusive.

I don't really know where to start looking tbh, most of the honeymoon info sites seem to recommend cuba, mexico, hawaii etc. We thought a cruise might be an option but for a decent cabin it works out as dear or more than the villa, but at least a cruise is all inclusive for food etc.

I have looked at greek and bealerics, all the usual searches. Most of the top star rated hotels on thomson, first choice and so on still have some negative reviews on trip advisor and similar so I don't want to risk paying 2k and finding anything bad! I have had some shocking experiences on holidays that were meant to be 4 and 5 star so trying to be really cautious and research our honeymoon thoroughly.

I am hoping someone on here has been on an amazing place that has everything we're looking for! Thanks if you can advise.

8 replies

Latest activity by SouthB2B, 4 May, 2011 at 19:32
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Have you considered Croatia? I've never been but have only heard amazing things about it.

• Tanya77
    Beginner August 2011
    Tanya77 ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts in Santorini have you been looking? We're going for a fortnight in August, bed and breakfast, apartment with private jacuzzi on the balcony for less than £3000.

Just realised that we're getting married exactly a year before you! ? x

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha not quite a date twin but almost! We were looking at a place just outside of Thira. What is your hotel called? There seem to be so many amazing ones, that sounds a good price for a fortnight and breakfast too. Santorini appeals to the OH cos of the volcanoes and me as it sounds so lovely, but we were thinking we need to abandon it due to expense. Maybe we need to keep hunting for deals.

CB - I have also heard Croatia can be amazing from forums etc BUT do not know anyone that has been so feel a bit dubious.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Any other suggestions for nice destinations folks?

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Going to Sorrento beginning of August for 11 nights Half Board (brekkie and lunch or brekkie and dinner)...£2400 for both of us x

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies I will check out both of those ideas.

Ideally we would love to get a bit of luxury like a swim up suite but I think that is adding too much, so if anyone has had any bargain hols please let me know!

• Tanya77
    Beginner August 2011
    Tanya77 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a complex of 16 apartments called Meltemi Luxury Suites in Perissa. It's in one of the cheaper resorts, but as the island is so small and we're staying for two weeks, I think we'll be able to get out and about to see the posher parts of the island too.

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

I love Croatia and have spent quite a lot of time there, it's a bit like Greece and Turkey scenery wise but much less spoilt (I love Greece and Turkey by the way but harder and harder to find somewhere non touristy now!). I worked on the island of Mljet and then Korcula - Mljet is gorgeous but very remote, Korcula would be a brill place for a honeymoon in my opinion as it's beautiful but still nice towns with bars and restaurants etc - Esp Korcula town itself. I know you don't want cities but Dubrovnik is a wonderful city (I'm a beach person not a massive city fan but it's small enough for you to walk across the old town in 5 mins). Bear in mind there are v few sandy beaches in Croatia if you are after a white sand beach type honeymoon. I'm afraid I don't know any great hotels as we just lived in a townhouse but I'm sure there must be some 4 / 5 star ones. Check out the island of Hvar as well as Korcula - that's really lovely too. Only one word of warning though, Croatia does get very busy in August as it's Italian holidays and loads and loads visit Croatia!

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

P/s sorry for no paragraphs - on an iPhone! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics