Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cavewoman
Beginner October 2006

One black and one red pupil showing on a photo, does it mean anything?

cavewoman, 9 of January of 2009 at 21:09 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 37

I have been googling and cannot find anything about this (so far i'm still looking). I have found that one white pupil could be Retinoblastoma, But the photo i have seen one eye is black and the other is very much red not white. Does anyone know if this mean anything?

Thanks in advance

x posted

37 replies

Latest activity by Horace, 15 of October of 2013 at 22:30
  • and a (PF) in a pear tree
    Beginner January 2011
    and a (PF) in a pear tree ·
    • Hide content

Isn't it just the way the light is catching it?

• cavewoman
    Beginner October 2006
    cavewoman ·
    • Hide content

That is what i am hoping but in the 10 photos that i have seen 5 of them show one red and one black. all in different poses.

• Ten Lords a Meep-ing
    Beginner
    Ten Lords a Meep-ing ·
    • Hide content

Any help?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_causes_one_pupil_to_be_red_in_photographs_and_the_other_pupil_to_remain_black

• Baby Buns
    Beginner September 2007
    Baby Buns ·
    • Hide content

Please step away from google as you'll end up finding something completely random that worries you and is probably completely irrelevant. If you're really concerned then book an appointment with your GP or optician. In these scenarios google is not your friend

• cavewoman
    Beginner October 2006
    cavewoman ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ? but i had already seen that and you just tells just about red eye in general not what causes one to be red and one to be black.

• cavewoman
    Beginner October 2006
    cavewoman ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, I would if it was me but it isn't. I have been shown some xmas photos tonight and on a few of them was a friend of a friends child and this is where i saw the different eye pupils.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

Just out of interest, what are you planning to do with any information you do find ? This isn't your child, it's not even your friends child.

• J
    Beginner December 2007
    Julia. ·
    • Hide content

When you say one is black, do you mean abnormally so? Or is it normal, just the fact that the other is red means it looks odd? Is it possible that the child has a slight squint? I do, and it has in the past meant that one is red and the other isn't.

How old is the child?

• cavewoman
    Beginner October 2006
    cavewoman ·
    • Hide content

Julia, the child is less than a year old around 9 months.

Jelly baby, I would sleep easier knowing i had spoke/emailed them and it was nothing than not do anything and something happened later.

I just need to find some evidence and also think about how to put it into words

• J
    Beginner December 2007
    Julia. ·
    • Hide content

I would say that the child's eyes are fine, that young it's probably a squint that hasn't been diagnosed yet. Eyes usually look black in photographs, red eye can usually occur when looking straight at the camera and the pupil hasn't narrowed. If the child has a squint and it's eye is going in a bit, it's not going to produce the red eye effect is it? I'm no expert, but the same thing has happened to me in photos. I would say if they weren't black or red, then I'd be worrying.

• J
    Beginner December 2007
    Julia. ·
    • Hide content

I should have added - it's also probably nothing, and it's just the way the camera has caught him. I really wouldn't worry.

• Pops
    Curious January 2012
    Pops ·
    • Hide content

Could it be possible the child has one eye lighter than the other that's not noticable apart from when using the flash from the camera? Reason I say this is that my friend has one blue and one brown eye and looking through some facebooks pictures she has the red and black pupil thing happening in about 90% of the pics when using a flash.

Edited to try and explain it a bit better.....

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Can you email an image to see the effect. (I won't ask you to post an image of a child on an open forum for obvious reasons)...or send a link to one....

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

Would you really contact them about this ? You would google / do random internet research and come up with a potentially distressing outcome and then contact a parent of a child and tell them about it ? Seems a most odd course of action to me.

• S
    Beginner June 2007
    seahag ·
    • Hide content

Probably and most likely fine and dandy. Could also be like someone else pointed out a squint, or Right and left eye colour difference and VERY VERY unlikely could be a tumor. If the child does not have noticable eye colour difference, do advise taking to an optician as any problems at all will be found. But please do advise that the child be taken to an Optician.

• cavewoman
    Beginner October 2006
    cavewoman ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What would you advise being the best course of action?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

to do nothing. it isnt your child, youre totally overreacting, and if the mother had a concern she should do her own research and / or contact her GP. what youre doing is REALLY bizarre and pretty weird, and actually, quite creepy. without wishiing to be rude, this has nothing to do with you, and your actions are ...strange to say the least.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

Surely no one is going to look at pictures of their child as closely as a parent, so this is something they would notice/follow up on themselves. Which for them wouldn't be nuts.

L
    xx

• cavewoman
    Beginner October 2006
    cavewoman ·
    • Hide content

Point taken, I am sorry for coming across as creepy that was not my intention. I will leave the subject alone now.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i agree - not nuts for them if they noticed and it bothered them, but totally nuts for someone else (a lay person) to notice, to do research and then contact them and tell them potentially untrue and very upsetting news

• C
    Beginner December 2004
    Coralie ·
    • Hide content

Dont apologise. you certainly didnt come across as creepy, to me anyway.

if it was on your mind, why not post? dont feel bad.

i personally find it quite caring that you noticed this and were concerned about it so posted.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
  • cavewoman
    Beginner October 2006
    cavewoman ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can remember reading that story a while ago.

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content

I think I would be tempted to mention something unless the person was really very tenuously linked to me and I would have to go to bizarre lengths to say something.

I definately do think that it is something that the parent should have looked at.

If you say something worst case scenario they've worried over something innocuous for a few days before they go to the optician, if you don't the worst case is that the colour difference is something serious, but something the parent has never noticed/never realised it might be of concern, and a chance to treat it earlier is missed - It might be unlikely, but where a child's health is concerned, I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As far as I have grasped Cavewoman isn't saying that she is going to ring them up and give them a diagnosis of retinoblastoma, she is just pondering on here whether it would be appropriate to mention what she has noticed in case the parents haven't appreciated there is anything to worry about. If the parents have seen it, and are aware that it may be linked to a potentially fatal cancer then they will say "oh thankyou but we've had it checked and she just has a squint / it was just the way the light was shining etc", no upset there. If they didn't know it might be linked then she is alerting them to something that needs looking into. I can't see how either instance would be problematic. If there are several photos of a child (presumably all from slightly different angles) showing a difference in the light reflections then it really ought to be looked into.

• policefox lyn
    Beginner November 2003
    policefox lyn ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree with Becca.

The parents may have seen the difference and not realised that there "may" be more to it.

If it were my child I'd be grateful someone was concerned. Really it's all about how the subject is approached and worded, cavewoman was aware of the story as above so had enough knowledge to know it might be an indicator of a problem, she's googled to try and get her facts straight and asked on here to do the same. I don't see that as creepy or whtever, just wanting to get her facts straight- something you're often advising people to do, Nick.

• T
    TreeOfLife ·
    • Hide content

I recently took a picture with a new girlfriend and both of her eyes had black pupil reflection. I can't find anything on it either. It looks like satan eyes, lol. Have you found any reasoning behind this?

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Hahahaha!

I started reading it, but confused as I didn't recognise the users... Then I realised it was from 2009.

Troll patrol to the rescue!!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

?

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014