Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

EAC13
Beginner June 2013

One Option Menus - like or dislike?

EAC13, 27 of January of 2013 at 19:53 Posted on Planning 0 18

Just what the title says really - how do you feel about a menu with only one option?

Do you think it might be a good idea to put the menu out with the invites where it will state the menu and the vegetarian option and then at least people have an alternative if they dont like the main menu or only ask for dietary requirements and they'll get what they're given and not find out what that is until the day. I hope I'm making sense...

One last thing - if they have been told of the menu in the invites, then would you put an individual menu on each place setting or only one per table?

Thanks in advance!

18 replies

Latest activity by EAC13, 30 of January of 2013 at 13:29
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

As a guest I don't mind either.

We had one main and one veggie option, didn't tell them what it was, no issues.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

One meal, allergies and vegetarians/religious diets excepted. Food fussers not tolerated. In my experience people who are fussy about meat will order veggie.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

We have one meat dish and a veggie dish. We haven't stated what either are on the invite either. I have to admit I haven't actually been to a wedding where I got to make a food choice. It was eat what you were given, which is fine by me ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

When I go to a wedding I eat what I'm given & feel grateful to be invited! I just pray the main isn't lamb lol!

I wouldn't bother sending a menu with the invites. I just have a little note on my RSVP that says Special Dietry Requirements.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

As a guest, I wouldn't expect to be given a choice of menu other than a veggie option. We're not sending out details of the menu with the invitations but are asking for any special dietary requirements with the RSVPs. We're planning to have a menu card on each table but I hope that no-one kicks up a fuss when they see what they're going to be eating. If they do, I will point them in the direction of the door....!

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

I kicked up an little, very small fuss when my venue would only offer me 1 option on dinner (but mainly because 2 different people and told me 2 different things) for me it was a deal breaker not having an option.

However, as a guest I wouldn't give a hoot- I like all food!

And lastly I wouldn't mention the menu in the invites, I'd just put one on each table.

• snow-woman
    Beginner April 2013
    snow-woman ·
    • Hide content

I get what I'm given and am grateful for it! Every menu has more than 1 option - the veggie one! If I wasn't prepared to take the gamble it's something I'd like then I'd ask for the veggie option! Chicken makes me sick but I know that's the risk I take every time I go to a wedding/black tie do

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

No one is meant to know our menu til they sit down at the tables. On the RSVP's they've told us if vegetarian and any allergies so we know what not to give them - but they'll just have to see on the day what it is.

I've already been stressed out with OH telling a few people what it is and them make a fuss, so I couldnt imagine every single guest knowing! It'd be a nightmare...

And on the giving menu options of two or more different options, I think would do my head in even more at keeping tabs on who wants to order what.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Personally, on invites I would just ask for dietary requirements e.g. vegetarian, allergies etc. Then put menu cards at the tale places so people will see what it is when they sit down to eat. Less chance of people being fussy and complaining then. All the weddings I'd ever been to were a set menu and it wasn't too risky so it was fine, ours was the first I'd had where there was choice, I was quite surprised to be able to pick options for guests to choose from.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I've over been to one wedding where I had a choice of food, and was the world's poorest wedding food. Even by wedding food standards.

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Think it depends on budget. I'd probably prefer to have a choice but can only afford a veggie or meat option. As a guest I really don't think it matters. It's not like you'd go round to someone's house for dinner and expect a choice! x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I've been to a wedding where there was a choice, though I know a few places do offer it. I'm quite happy to eat what I'm given - if it's something I really don't like then I won't eat it - it's not the couple's fault if I didn't tell them!

On the subject of veggie options, check with your venue how many they will make - I have been at a wedding where they ran out of veggie dishes for the actual vegetarians because a few other people had decided they fancied the look of the veggie dish instead.

• C
    Beginner January 2013
    cherrylem0n ·
    • Hide content

1 meat and 1 veg option is very normal menu, guests will notify you of any special dietary requirements anyway.

We had customisable menu for our wedding breakfast, it was SERIOUS headache keeping track of individual menu choices and some number of guests change their minds at last minute. but our guests were surprise that they had a choice on what they eat on the day, they really enjoyed it.

Not sure it was worth the hassle thou Smiley tongue

==

the few weddings I have been to, we didn't get a choice of food just dietary requirements. but the bride contacted everyone who she knew had some sort of dietary requirements anyway. ie gluten free etc

so people get the menu on the table on the day, no hassle beforehand..

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content

Most of the venues we've looked at only have one option (and a veggie), and I'd thought this was a bit of a shame. I suppose the only wedding I've been to where it was a sit-down meal, we had a choice of three for each course so that's probably why I felt that way (and it was an absolutely amazing wedding, loved every second!). But reading everyone's thoughts on here and having pondered over it properly, I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all - much less headache, and as someone said earlier, you wouldn't go to someone's house for dinner and expect a choice!

Probably the fact that I'm seriously unfussy about food and would eat anything helps, but really, if you don't like it, discreetly don't eat that bit. No biggie! Having said that, knowing what I'm like (always wanting to please everyone), I'm sure I'll find just choosing one option a bit tricky, but that's a few months way yet so no point stressing ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Nope. It was one choice and that was it. Everyone cleared thier plates.

• R
    Beginner April 2013
    roo2605 ·
    • Hide content

We're having the default menu (of beef for the main) + a veggie option.

If people are bothered about what theyll be eating, there was a space on the RSVP card for dietary requirements. If there was something I particularly couldnt eat (because I didnt like it or something) I'd put it in dietary requirements.

I'm definitely including a menu on the table as I went to a friends' wedding in December and we had no idea what anything was - it was a guessing game and I would rather have had a menu just to glance over before getting the plate in front of me.

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

We have the option of giving guests a choice of 3 for each course, but at an extra £400 (£5 per head) and the logistical nightmare it will cause I have decided to stick to one meat plus veggie and am just going to choose the options that should appeal to most. If they dont like the meal there is always the buffet in the evening ? xx

• EAC13
    Beginner June 2013
    EAC13 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! This has really put my mind at ease x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics