Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

~Peanut~
Beginner December 2012

One person doing hair and make up...advice please!

~Peanut~, 11 November, 2012 at 10:47 Posted on Planning 0 18

So I've booked a hair and make up lady for myself, my 3 BMs and my mum. It didn't occur to me at the time that in order to get everyone done in plenty of time we'll probably have to start at about 8am. My mum thinks this is going to end up being a very long day and we should rethink (ie book someone else to do hair). We have only made an official booking for me so far so this is possible, but I know my lady is good and it seems more hassle than its worth finding someone else at this stage. Thoughts? Did any OMs have one person doing hair and make up for lots of people? I think my mum's main concern is the early start, but I'm sure we'll all be up at that time anyway, I know I won't be able to sleep!

18 replies

Latest activity by LEA2012, 19 November, 2012 at 17:14
  • RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

I have the one lady doing hair and make up and shes getting to us at 9am to be done for 1pm for me to get into my dress. This is for me, 2 x bridesmaids and my mum so for an extra bridesmaid you are probably righ, she will prob need that extra hour.

Rachel xx

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Is the 1 lady doing both hair & make-up for ALL 5 of you? I personally think thats a stretch, even if she is ONLY doing hair for 5 of you!!! Obvioulsy depends on your hair styles & lengths, but mine & BM's took over an hour each, just for hair!

I'm sure a hair/makeup HIB can advise more, but I found you need more time than you expected.

• J
    Beginner May 2013
    jen110513 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the same dilemma! I have me, 4 bridesmaids, a flower girl and mum to have hair and make up done! I was worrying about it so asked her if it was manageable and she said that her assistant would prepare the hair (i.e. curl it) and then she would put it up and do everyones make up! I do still feel a little worried about it but then she is recommended by the venue and I'm sure she will have similar to do at most weddings!?

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Mine has said on average it takes an hour each for BMs and an hour and a half for the bride. She's very experienced so I trust she knows how long it will take her. The ceremony is at 3 so we have loads of time, and I don't think an 8am start is actually that early so wanted to know what other people thought. I have emailed her now to ask if she knows someone who could help out.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

We're going to a salon to do hair in the morning where we have two people doing me, mum, MOH and 3 young bridesmaids. Makeup artist is then at mine, where I'll get done first and then she'll do mum and MOH. Just means that whilst the bridesmaids are having their hair done, I'm home with my make up being done, so I can then get into my dress which being lace up with take much longer than the girls who are zips ?

I personally think it'll be worth gettting someone else in, or maybe sending your bridesmaids to a hair salon, as even with mine, being my hair is at 8.30 and I'm leaving at 1.15pm - I still think it'll be a fair rush in the morning.

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

When I was bridemaid last year there were two girls, one hair and one make up, at the bride's Mum house and we did have an 8am start (1pm Wedding). We were ready far to early though but that meant loads of time for photos.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

8am isnt that early, BUT, if the ceremony isnt 3pm, thats 7hrs before it even starts! If it finishes at say middnight, thats 16hrs that the 1st persons hair & make-up has to last.

I'd want a 2nd person at least, simply so everyones hair & make-up looks fresh, rather than curls already coming out & make-up looking tired before its even started.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Yeah that's probably my only main concern Teal, that it won't look fresh by the time the ceremony comes around.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Hi P

I had one brilliant lady for hair and make up - she did me, 4 BM, 2 mother of the brides and a grandma. She had an assistant to help her. It was an early start, which my sister baulked at, but told her to get on with it. In many ways I think it's easier to have one person doing both hair and make-up.... and especially if you trust her etc

x

• Skinnyrock
    Dedicated July 2023 Suffolk
    Skinnyrock ·
    • Hide content

That is a bit of a push. I'm having three hairdressers and a make up artist for me mum and 4 bridesmaids. Thankfully they are all my friends and doing it as my wedding present otherwise it would be too pricey!

• Rochelle (Make up HIB)
    Rochelle (Make up HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I think if the hair/makeup person is confident doing it and doesn't seem stressed by the amount of people to do, then go with them and trust that they know what they're taking on and how long it will take.

Any makeup application should last for a good 12 hours+ (except for lip colour which they should provide to touch up) so I don't think 8am is that early and even though it seems like a long time before you leave for the ceremony, the morning will really fly by before you know it.

The earliest start time I've ever had was 3am!

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

I had a lady to do 4 bridesmaids hair and make-up and a friend did mine. She said an hour for each girl, so we started at 10am for a 3pm wedding. My friend arrived at 12pm and started on mine so we were all finished by 2pm ready for getting dressed and photos.

My only issue (and it wasn't a big issue) was the waiting for my hair and make-up to get started. We got ready at the venue so I may have felt differently if I was at home.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I have the same concern at the moment. We have booked one person to do myself, 3 adult bms, my mum and FMIL so 6 adults for both hair and make-up. She didn't mention it being a problem but I think I'll get in contact with her and see if she can bring an assistant or something x

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I agree with rochelles comments. 8am is about the average start time for a wedding. Any makeup artist that's good should recheck everyone's makeup before she goes anyway so it should all be fine.

Juliet x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Glad it's just me and two BM's now!

• N
    Beginner November 2009
    newark22 ·
    • Hide content

You are better off with just on hairdresser, same standard of work for all..

you have to trust who you hire, I would never say i could do x amount of hairs if I felt my standard of work was going to be compromised.

Ive done 8 people in a morning before and always hear back after the wedding that the hair looked great until end of evening.

Trust the expertsSmiley smile

• toriharris
    toriharris ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about it - if she thinks it is plenty of time I am sure it is.. I generally leave 1hour for hair and makeup per person and then about 30mins extra for running into (I also aim to have everyone ready about 45mins before the ceromany/due to leave) so I have plenty of time should there be complications/delays etc and for last minute touch ups so you all go off looking perfect! Your BMs shouldn't worry about having to get up too early - all they have to do is get up 15/20mins before have a shower and pop a dressing gown on! Everything else is done for them! Im sure on the day with all the excitement you won't even think about what time you got up that morning! I've started a lot earlier before!!

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEA2012 ·
    • Hide content

If the hairdresser thinks it's long enough then I would trust what she says. I wouldnt be worried that 8am will be early and make it a long day, my hair dresser is arriving around 6am and so I will be up at 5.30am at the latest.Our evening bar then finishes at 1.00am and I'm sure my hair will last through to then even if the rest of me doesnt!! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics