Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2022

One photographer or two

HappyIvoryDecor367, 15 of December of 2020 at 15:55 Posted on Planning 0 8
Hi everyone!

I hope you are staying safe in the current climate.
My fiancé and I are getting married in Northumberland Sep 2022. We’ve found the most fantastic photographer and are spoilt for choice on the services they offer.
We’re looking to hire them for photos and video but we’re wondering if anyone could offer their advice on whether they think it would be best for one photographer or two with the videographer.
I’ve always been told that never scrape on the cost of your photos but we also don’t want to go overboard spending unnecessary money.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

8 replies

Latest activity by NellyNiff, 17 of December of 2020 at 11:23
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

If you have a wedding with 200 guests and acres of stately home grounds then 2 may be beneficial but otherwise one GOOD one will be fine, which it sounds like you have. In general I ask myself if a second shooter only cost an extra say -£150 then I would question the credentials of that second shooter. I get dozens of request per year from part time shooters who want to get more experience and are willing to work with me for free.

When I shoot weddings for the most part its in a documentary style - along with the inevitable groups and working alone helps me blend in and disappear but if you have 2 shooters their is a danger you can never get away from them and every corner you turn they are in your face.

• H
    Beginner September 2022
    HappyIvoryDecor367 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for this. I actually never thought of it that way at all. You’re right. The cost of the additional photographer isn’t much more. I had initially thought it would be a bonus for the difference but I don’t want someone who isn’t to my main photographers standard. I really appreciate your help
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not saying that as I could not possible know your choice. Or the standard of the second shooter.

Consider that if the main photographer has to pay the second one -- ok what do they pay them? how about the whole £150 that it costs for the extra shooter for the days work - so the main photographer has made no extra money from the extra shooter --- maybe, but what they have done is from the bride and grooms point of view is as you said " added a bonus" . So that you book them over a single shooter.

Typically the second shooter will do lots of detail shots - non critical stuff and it is unknown how many will make the grade into your final images, so you could be paying extra and getting no extra images out of the deal.

Again the caveat I know nothing about your photographer and my comments are in general.

Also for FULL DISCLOSURE I am biased as I do not offer an option of a second shooter.

• Sunnybluebride3107
    Curious July 2021 Hertfordshire
    Sunnybluebride3107 ·
    • Hide content
    I have chosen my dear friend to photograph my wedding and she often has a second shooter. The most important thing is whether the two photographers have a good relationship or not. You want the photographers to work together and capture your day, not getting in each other’s way etc...If your photographer is offering the second shooter and has worked with them many times I would say go for it! However, asking a photographer who usually doesn’t work with another photographer is probably asking for disaster... Hope this helps!
  • N
    Beginner August 2021 Warwickshire
    NellyNiff ·
    • Hide content

Our photographer offers a second shooter which we are using, who is a colleague she works with closely and has done for years. We are also having a videographer (which we hadn't planned on when we booked 2 photographers!) but have been assured by all of them that they will be able to work around each other on the day.

My sister had two photographers at her wedding and until then it wasn't something I had ever considered, but it meant that both she and her husband had plenty of time separately for photos before the ceremony (they got ready in different locations with a 40 minute drive between, which I will also be doing), and she has beautiful photos of her coming down the aisle with both her and her husbands first reactions seeing each other which I thought was really special. It also meant that whilst they had their couple portraits, the second shooter continued to get some lovely candid shots of guests throughout the drinks reception, and there are some lovely moments that would have been missed otherwise!

I don't at all think it's a must, but a few reasons why we went for it might help - especially when the cost isn't going to break the bank. Good luck! Smiley smile

• Hide content

I have been shooting weddings since film and have grown up with weddings as they too have grown and expanded. If I were just starting out I would probably want to join forces with someone to help cover a wedding. Indeed there are some that only shoot as a team with no other option.

Given the choice I always go for the bride prep as there is so much more going on, that is were the flowers are, 5 bridesmaids, Mum and Dad, shoe/ dress shots, Dads first look, the car, so much more to shoot than the lads as its usually just the groom and best man.

bridal-prep-wedding-photography gallery

I can not get the Groom getting ready as well but after finishing with the bridal prep shots I catch up with the lads at the venue usually 1/2 hour before the ceremony. If its a Church then with a little extra time planning I can usually get to the pub before to catch up with the lads and get shots of them walking to the Church.

wedding-photography-the-groom

Its true in a Church setting I cannot get the both faces, so I go for the grooms first look down the isle. To get the brides means the shooter could be in the isle in front of you walking up - not good etiquette in my opinion.

But in a civil ceremony its easy to get both faces

wedding-ceremonys-in-leicestershire

After the ceremony I like to leave the couple to relax and mingle with drinks and not take them away from the guests, during which I get loads of candid shots. We then do any groups needed and my head is always on swivel looking out for moments, then some with bridesmaids and the chaps and finally just some with the bride and groom by which time people have had their fill of congrats and mainly dispersed to the bar.

In between the food courses I also dip in the room for more candid shots.

Then after the meal its usually all candid as evening guests arrive.

That's how I do it which gives me a light foot print on your wedding and I can blend in.

So don't be put off by a solo shooter thinking they will not get everything.

• Dancingdee
    Beginner September 2021 Dordogne
    Dancingdee ·
    • Hide content
    We have a package one photographer/one video
    grapher and the photographer has an assistant (who is equally as qualified). That kept the cost down a little. Do they have that option xx
  • N
    Beginner August 2021 Warwickshire
    NellyNiff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't find the 2 shooters at my sister's wedding intrusive in the slightest, they were really subtle and certainly not standing in the aisle as she came down!! Great to see that these can also be achieved with a single photographer. Both options of course have their merits!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics