Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2023 Alberta

One set of parents names omitted from invitation

Jasnit, 16 of January of 2023 at 01:22 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 4
My fiancee's parents were absent during his life and he was mainly raised by his grandparents. We wanted to include my parents' names on the wedding invite (Mr &Mrs... Request the honour of you presence at the wedding of their daughter), and his grandparents instead of parents (... To .... Grandson of Mr & Mrs). His parents will not be coming to the wedding and will not be invited. Would it be reasonable to have his grandparents on the wedding invitation instead of parents?

4 replies

Latest activity by Melissa, 17 of January of 2023 at 18:45
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I think it is reasonable if his parents are not coming. that said, you would normally only put the parent names in invites if they are paying for the wedding, as was tradition. If you are paying yourself then I don't think it is necessary to put parents names. Also bear in mind how this may come across to other family members on his side, is it likely to cause ructions or get back to his parents? not that it should matter as you say, they have been absent, just thinking ahead of potential drama that you wont need

• Ellen91
    Dedicated October 2023 West London
    Ellen91 ·
    • Hide content
    I can understand this. Definitely do what makes you comfortable. We chose not to add our parents for a handful of reasons.

1. We are paying for our wedding ourselves, typically as mentioned earlier by Charlotte you would add parents if they paying. 2. My partners mum and dad are divorced and both remarried but all 4 of them get on really well. Then we didn’t want to offend someone by only mentioning his parents and not step parents and also thought 6 parents on the invite was too much!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be fine if you want to use the more traditional wording to include the grandparents instead of the parents. Traditionally, the wedding invitations are sent from those who are organising and/or paying for the wedding, so it wouldn't make much sense to send them from a couple who have nothing to do with either.

Alternatively, you could go more informal and just have 'Mr X and Ms Y invite you to celebrate their wedding', or 'Mr X and Ms Y together with their families invite you...' as an alternative which would include the parents & grandparents without actually naming anyone.

• A
    Dedicated October 2023 Surrey
    AmesLou ·
    • Hide content

Our invites say 'Together with their families *bride's name* and *groom's name* request the honour of your company at their wedding'. Something like that could be a good solution for you, maybe?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics