Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner March 2014

Onlyforbrides.com

willbemrswinder, 25 February, 2013 at 11:17 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all,

I am beginning my wedding dress hunt now with just over a year to go until I get married. I have found a website that manufactures designer-style dresses for a fraction of the price of the original but am wary of ordering with them as have concerns about the quality of the dresses. They claim to make the dresses 90% identical to the original, which also makes me wonder how different the dress might be when it turned up. The site is www.onlyforbrides.com. Has anyone ordered a dress from this site before? Can you advise me on the quality of the dresses, the service and how similar your dress was to the original design?

Thanks all!

4 replies

Latest activity by Elderberry Brides, 26 February, 2013 at 15:56
  • Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Theres an awful lot of debate on this subject and a lot of info on different threads on here

Normally if it sounds too good to be true then it is. If you are on a tight budget you would be better off to go to a bridal shop and look for a dress in a sample sale. You can see the quality, check the fit, see if the style actually suits you (out of 58 brides ive only had 1 that went out with exactly what they came in for and that was because she got married in just over a week from when she came in and wanted a purple gown!). The majority of my customers end up with something that they didnt even dream of when they came in.

If they are promising 90% identifical then that means that theres 10% thats different and how do you quantify a 10% "different" dress from the original?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But no concerns about counterfeit/copyright issues? Smiley winking

Anyway, I suspect that they can only make dresses that are 90% identical to the original where the original dress is fairly simple. For lace/patterns/applique, they aren't going to be able to access the designer original, so will substitute with whatever they have hanging around. Also, even if it looks broadly similar, the quality of fabric is going to be way off. This means it won't hang the same, it won't fit the same. And it might be a bit itchy!

I found a copy of my wedding dress on one of these types of sites. It was advertised at less than 1/35 of the shop price.

Have a look for a dress shop sample, or a second-hand dress. You get better value for money.

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

A picture says a thousand words. They may only class this as 10% different...

• W
    Beginner March 2014
    willbemrswinder ·
    • Hide content

Hi, thanks for all your thoughts.

Very true Embrace Bridal Boutique, if anyone else has photos of their wedding dresses ordered from one of these websites, whether good or bad, I'd really like to see them! Thanks x

• Elderberry Brides
    Elderberry Brides ·
    • Hide content

Consider contacting your local bridal stores for ex-sample gowns.

It's true that most of the gowns will have been tried on a few times and that they are also likely to no longer be current styles but they'll still be very near perfect, totally authentic and you get to save £££s !!

We have a dedicated sale room in store with many of these gowns available online.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics