Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner August 2014

Ooooops, just done a budget spreadsheet (Champagne lifestyle, lemonade pockets)

Cocktail-Couture, 23 April, 2013 at 09:24 Posted on Planning 0 18

?

Im a bit (alot) over budget just thought i would share and let you ladies feel my pain!! Haha only myself to blame, better get my budget bride head on and claw some of the money back and cut costs in other areas.....

Anyone else gone over, if so how much, go on , make me feel better Smiley smile

18 replies

Latest activity by Juicy Jackets, 2 May, 2013 at 15:36
  • Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

My budget increases every day, I’m not sure how though?!

I’m about 2k over my original predicted budget. But that is mainly because my dress was more than i anticipated. I save in certain areas’ but the budget still goes up and up.

I think it’s time i get my budget bride head on too, not that i have exactly splurged.

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    Cocktail-Couture ·
    • Hide content

Yeah thats the thing i dont feel i have 'splurged' either....

Poor me, poor me, POUR me a drink. Wedding planning is fun but expensive. Geez.

I am about 2k over at the moment too. ?

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PaintedHales ·
    • Hide content

We are about 4 grand over our original 'ideal budget' and we haven't even allowed for honeymoon yet. We have overspent on the big stuff too like catering, suits and photographer so we can't exactly claw it back. We are both happy with what we have picked though and it isn't going to cripple us (too much). OH just keeps saying 'well we've spent this much so whats a little bit more?' then I have to rescusitate him when he looks at his spreadsheet. Oh yes - he has a spreadsheet and we have to look at it everyday.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I started off with a spreadsheet. Then abandoned it. It was more out of interest, than budget necessity anyway.

I have only a vague idea of what our wedding cost.

At the start of the planning, I definitely told Boy we could do it for £10k. We didn't.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I've never met a bride who hasn't gone over.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I am over by almost £2k at the moment & have already cut down as much as possible!

The OH's parents are yet to give us their contribution but I don't know how much it will be or when they'll actually give it to us!

I'm not stressing, I'll just have to put even more on the credit card ?

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? We haven't! We are still within budget & it didn't have loads of padding to start with either. And that was before FILs said they were contributing a hefty sum.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We're under by about 3k at the moment and that is after booking pretty much everything we could possibly want. Still have the men's suits and a bouncy castle to sort out but it looks like we'll be able to have a honeymoon which we weren't expecting... or we may take the children to Disneyland!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

We don't have a budget as such - we have savings but I'm not spending it all on one day. I had an idea of what sort of money we were going to spend and we're under 'budget' at the moment Smiley smile I've done lots of hard work keeping costs low and bargain hunting.

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

From when we first started planning our wedding my overall budget had DOUBLED! and im pretty sure by then end of it all it will be over budget. I plan on being misleading with the truth until after the wedding. Maybe break it to him when we are sipping cocktails on the beach ?

He did say i can have anything I want. He will regret it!

xxx

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

I'm over, I don't know by how much, I've given up, I haven't spent money we don't have, but I have spent more than we meant to.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

We haven't paid for much yet as the catering will be the biggest cost and we don't even have a quote for that yet. OH's mum is paying for the marquee which is the other biggest cost.

OH didn't want to spend more than 6 grand when we first started talking about weddings and couldn't understand why it should cost anymore. Even with a reception in the garden so only venue cost is marquee, and a BBQ supper we will be spending closer to 10 grand. That does include honeymoon which was nearly 4 grand.

We are being quite careful as we know we want to keep back a certain amount of savings so we can have a deposit for a decent mortgage.

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    ClaireKB ·
    • Hide content

We don't have a budget... which I sort of worry about thinking maybe we should plan more, but we're just buying odd bits for the wedding each month and putting a little bit of money aside each month where we can. I think we're probably going to end up with a few skint months as we get closer to the wedding!

• minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

We have budgeted £6000 and we have £1500 left :-)

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

My OH is monitoring our spending very closely - everything has to go in the budget planner and if it's over - then something has to be cut elsewhere. he's being very strict but it's good as if I was left to it i'd be committing to all kinds of things that would make us over spend ? We're over what we initially thought we'd spend but that was before we realised that actual cost of things. We've got the big things booked and secured and everything else we've got fairly realistic quotes for so as long as neither of us go over the top we should be ok (there's a long way to go for extra spending though!)

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

It's worth trying to negotiate with suppliers, along the lines of "we really want to use you, but the budget doesn't stretch that far - what could we change to bring the cost down?" OH got our caterer down by about £5 a head by changing some menu choices, and got the beer price reduced just by asking - "so that's the price for one barrel, how much if I buy three?"

We've never fixed a definite budget, just had an idea of roughtly what we wanted to spend. We're a little over that (and intended to pay for everything ourselves), but last week Dad said he has some money to give us, and PILs have also mentioned contributing.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Budget? What's a budget? ?

We went waaaaaay over what we initially 'guessed' we might spend - but we didn't have anything we couldn't afford, or get into any debt. I have to say, I am SO glad we didn't get a credit card/loan for any of it, as the thought of having the wedding 'come down' coupled with having to pay off hundreds of pounds a month would leave me pretty miserable I think. One of the best things about the wedding being done now is that we have all of our money back every month.

We spent too much on flowers, which ultimately don't matter at all (at the time it felt like they did, though). We spent a lot on photography and my goodness was that money well spent, the photos are absolutely AWESOME.

• J
    Juicy Jackets ·
    • Hide content

Consider what it is you really want. Do you want to go more informal? If so, you can still retain that element of style and class but without breaking the bank. Might just require you thinking outside of the box a little more. Catering really doesn't need to be the biggest cost.

Good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics