Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2013

Opinion please - does this wedding ring match my engagement ring? *flash*

helzbelz200, 26 of April of 2013 at 18:51 Posted on Planning 0 18

Would love your honest opinions please ...

Bit of background: I work in the medical profession and can't wear my ER to work as bugs might get stuck in the diamonds and kill people, but i can wear a plain (i.e no diamonds) wedding band. Due to this I wanted a wedding band that looks pretty and different on it's own but at same time matches my ER.

I have brought this wedding band - which I love on its own - it's platinum with milgrain edging. But the height of my ER is a lot bigger, and I think side by side they look weird together. Trouble is to have mil grain edge I have to have thin band, to match the ER height I can only really go for a plain band.

Do you think i should go for one similar height to my ER to avoid the 'step' between them. Or am I being silly? Do you think they match?

See what I mean about the 'step' as the heights are different...

18 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 28 of April of 2013 at 15:50
  • I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I think they look good together! Where is your ER from?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think they look lovely together.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

They look really good together.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

They are beautiful together. Personally I think it's important to have a stand alone wedding ring, since practicality may dictate it has to be worn alone sometimes. No woman I know in my family of my Mother's generation or above wears more than a wedding ring,so maybe that's why I have the opinion I do. I'm off on hols in 2 months to a place I really can't wear my engagement ring, so am glad my wedding ring is nice. on its own.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I see what you mean, but if you just look at them normally it looks lovely!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

My rings have a similar height difference, I quite liked it like that. I did decide the wedding ring looked better in front of the engagement ring though, otherwise you didn't notice it so much tucked in behind.

• sugarbox
    Beginner December 2012
    sugarbox ·
    • Hide content

Yes,it's beautiful ,i love it.

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, that is reassuring to know. I got my ER from Blue Nile.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Looks beautiful Smiley smile

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Looks beautiful Smiley smile

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh good idea. I might do the same....

Helzbelz l think your engagement ring and wedding ring look gorgeous together.

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

Our ERs are practically identical! Looks fab!

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

It's a pain how much working in medicine interferes with things, doesn't it?! I'm a GP and opted against an engagement ring for practicality reasons, so wanted a gorgeous standalone wedding band. We've ordered a beautiful engraved renaissance wedding band, but there's no way I'll be able to wear it to work. So a cheap silver band will also be purchased for work purposes. My mother made shrieky noises about it not being my "real" ring, but it doesn't bother me a jot. It might be an option for you?

Depending on what you do in the medical profession, I can see the milgrain edging of that band getting gunked up pretty quickly; unless you plan on removing it every time you sanitise your hands (which, in a hospital setting, you'd be better off not wearing it), it'll wind up gross pretty quickly. My dermatologist best friend wears her wedding ring on a chain for work- also a possibility?

It's a pretty ring, though!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh good idea. I might do the same....

Helzbelz l think your engagement ring and wedding ring look gorgeous together.

• gizmobear
    Beginner September 2013
    gizmobear ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks absolutely lovely. I tried on something almost identical today in fact. My engagement ring is curved with 3 stones (trilogy) so would be very hard to get something to match unless I had something made to fit (with notches out of it so the ER slots in exactly). I plan to wear just the wedding ring most of the time anyway as I want to preserve my ER and only wear for special occasions. If you like it go with it!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice. I work as a physio in outpatients setting so don't really deal with body fluids etc, but do wash my hands like 100x a day, so good point about the mil grain getting gummy. Yesterday i tried on a plain one - see above. What you reckon?

i never realised matching an ER would be so annoyingly hard & time consuming.

Italybride14; good choice of ER, what wedding band are you going for?
  • Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried a squarer shaped band? I wonder if that would sit better because of the shape of the engagement ring. This is my ring :

Im not getting married until next may so am undecided! I think I want diamonds in my band but still with visible platinum going round if that makes sense! Al though I think I'll try a plain band too. I'm tempted to go for a squarer band if I do though! I had my engagement ring made in hatten garden so will go back to the same man so should get one made to fit.

i wasn't expecting it to be hard eek!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I think they look lovely together. They go really well!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics