Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Pugsley*
Beginner March 2014

Opinions..... How much money to give as a gift at a wedding?

*Pugsley*, 1 of July of 2013 at 17:22 Posted on Planning 0 79

Hi all,

Just sitting here (wasting time at work) and got me thinking...

If you're a guest at a wedding where they request money towards honeymoon etc etc, how much would you give?

At recent weddings I've been to I've managed to find out somehow what the dinner cost (as they've been close friends and we've talked weddings) so I've basically given them that money back from OH and I, I wouldn't know how much to give to someone otherwise.

79 replies

Latest activity by Green, 16 of December of 2022 at 13:58
  • B
    Beginner April 2016
    Bumble86 ·
    • Hide content

The last few weddings we've been too have been really close family and friends and they knew we haven't a lot of spare cash at the moment so we gave £30 to each of them. Seemed OK and seemed an average after asking everyone else too. Some gave more others less. We are also going to a wedding in August and will give them £30 too. x

• Merigold
    Beginner June 2014
    Merigold ·
    • Hide content

Last wedding I went to we gave 50 quid. I thought it was too much, we barely knew them. Plus there was no food so I got overly drunk and a little obnoxious which H2B says was 50 quid well spentSmiley smile

I'd only give more to close family, and of course if I wasn't broke at the time.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If they request money, they are very unlikely to receive money... ?

If, without prompting, I wish to give a gift and choose to give money, it depends on what my general feeling is regarding the standard amounts within the friendship group. I'd say maybe £50.

I would give close friends and family a lot more.

However, this really is the last resort for me - I hate giving money.

My dinner cost per couple was close to £300 - would you have given that back?

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

This, and it also depends on whether I'm a day or evening guest and if I'm by myself or with OH.

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I think between £30 and £50 is sufficient depending on whether it's friends, closer friends or family and depending on how flush you are feeling!

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't I would give a gift.

I think it's wrong to ask for something. If I got asked "what would you like for your wedding?" I would ask for there company.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I started off like that, but some people are really concerned and upset if there isn't a list for them to be able to get you something they know you will use and/or treasure. I relented 2/3 weeks ago and chucked a list together. I've had 3 requests for it today (wedding is Sat, lol)

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i think my nan will be like that.. She's a list person. Has loads of them in her flat!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OH's mum was like that, plus his old aunts who couldn't make the distance. It's tradition! Plus, if we didn't do a list people were going to give us money, I definitely. definitely didn't want any cash.

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

I would spend the cash on a boring water bill or something!! Lol

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I put maybe 20-30 in a card and then a little something as a gift to keep for close friends/family maybe spending £50 but £30 I usually give, I would love to give more but I cant afford to ?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, and that's another thought which crossed my mind.

I think the most I've given is £150 and that was to a very close friend (my MOH). But another friend of mine gave her £300 and the bride actually told me it made her feel uncomfortable as she would never be able to give the girl that kind of money back at her wedding.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I guess it also depends how popular you are, ie how many weddings you've been invited to that year/no. of weddings coming up, with regard to budget.

My amount is now between 75-100, particularly after having my own and realising how ridiculously expensive weddings are.....

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

£50 for friends, £100 for family, and close friends.

• LoveBug1950
    Beginner May 2015
    LoveBug1950 ·
    • Hide content

Is it that bad to ask for money instead of gifts?

We will have been together ten years when we get married, we've got four children and a house with no storage! I don't need bedding, towels or dinner sets. A bit of money towards the honeymoon/family holiday would be better for us.

in answer to the original question, we would probably give £30-50, depending on how close we are to the couple.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that may happen to me, i told my FSIL there was no gift list. she said her OH's cousin did that and the family freaked out because they didnt know what to get!!

In my case i have everything i need for the house, i dont need a kettle or a toaster, also personally i wouldn't be 'thrilled' gifting someone a toaster. I bought my FSIL 4 spoons and someone else got her 4 forks etc, that always weirded me out, but its want she wanted. money to me is fine, i can see why some people don't like it, because it seems like a lack of thought has gone into it or that your friendship now has a monetary value. The 'gift list' has become a minefield of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If i gave money, it'd be around £30 to £50, or better yet if they're close I'd listen to them talk and the 'after the wedding' wishlist they talk about (we all do it, i've been doing it for months now) and get something off that.

Thou if push came to shove and people reaaaaaaaally wanted a gift list, we'd would like a Ipad, a smart TV, the PS4, a wii U, a sofa with an ipod dock ... ;P

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to second this lol. I prefer getting gifts especially personalised ones etc and like looking for extra special ones. If they didn't ask for money and I was giving that i'd give £20 - £30 unless they were close friends then i'd probably give £50 - £100 DEPENDING on how well I knew them / we get on Smiley smile

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I've usually given £50 in the past. I have no objection to giving money instead of a gift if that's what the couple want, though I do really hate money poems. If I know them very well, and can think of something they actually want/need then I might get that, but I don't want to buy something that won't be appreciated.

• L
    Laura Radford Photography ·
    • Hide content

I would go with a crisp £50 note...looks pretty aswell Smiley winking But tough call huh, if tables were turned how much would they give you?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I feel like this is something that differs very widely between Canada and the UK. Back home I've never given a wedding gift or money that was less than what the meal was likely to have cost, which meant that when I went to my brother's wedding I bought $200 worth of stuff off his registry. And that was on top of the cost of flying round trip Osaka to Toronto and hotel! My job at the time was not very good, either, so it's not like I was rolling in money. For my close friend Tabby's wedding last year, though, Ant and I together probably cost about $150, so that's what we gave.

For our wedding, though, you could see a great split. My side tended to give huge gifts, Ant's side less so, except for his parents and aunt and uncle. Is not a bad thing, just a cultural difference I guess, and just one of the many that sprang up when wedding planning!

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

The last wedding I went to they set up a Debenhams gift voucher list. We gave them £40 into the voucher fund and spent £10 on little token gifts so they got something to open.

For an evening do usually about £20-30.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same for me. The modal gift value from the Englishers was £50 per couple. The modal gift value from the Irishers was £200 per couple.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Family and close friends up to £100, Good Friends £50, Mates £20 - £30, work collegues maybe a voucher or a small gift like a 'Mr and Mrs' plaque or something.

We got a few gifts for the wedding, some lovely champagne flutes, little personalised things, a lovely silver photo frame - we loved all our gifts. We mainly got money though - both pounds and dollars for honeymoon which went towards meals out, going to see shows in Vegas etc - so really, our guests bought us the experience and memories. Thats how we saw it.

I'm not fussed if people have a gift list or a request for money, I dont love the poems you get, but thats only because they're usually naff. I dont see it as rude. We had tons of people ask if we had a gift list before the invitations even went out so I think the majority of people would like that guidance.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Depends on who they are. If I know them well then about £50. If I know where they are going on honeymoon then I get in in that currency i.e. My sister is off to the USA so we are giving her dollars.

If it is an evening only do then I usually do £30 or buy a gift.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Normally about £50 or £60.

I have no problem getting people whatever they've asked for be it gifts or money. If they haven't asked for anything I would normally get a small gift and money.

Evening I tend to buy a gift or give about £25-£30.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Without commenting on the whole gift vs money side of things, as the OP specifically asked how much, I'd do pretty much the same as Rod said.

It's also good being a guest when you're already married as you can see what they gave you!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Evening invite 20 quid

Day invite depends on who it is but probably 50 I think.

Close friends and family probably more though

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Not even a card? Wow.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Around £80 from me and OH for day guest invites.

Depending on how close I'd probably give the same if it was just me invited.

Evening around £30 from both of us.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean. You condone it but it is still a little odd! Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

If they request money quite often I won't give them money becaseu I'm contrary like that, especially if they use a poem.

For those who don't ask: friends and colleagues: £50 per day guest, so £100 if just OH and I are invited, up to hundreds if the whole brood are. Halve this for evening only. For family I'd double it or more.

• A
    Beginner April 2013
    aimzxx ·
    • Hide content

We were the same - my BIL who was our BM didnt even get us a card...How bad is that, not even a token bottle of cheap booze! Turns out he doesnt like me.....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics