Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bexybexy
Beginner June 2018

Opinions please.....Best Man Dilemma

bexybexy, 21 January, 2012 at 18:11 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi all

Now my OH asked his best friend to be best man when we first got engaged a year ago....he was best man for him and was honoured to do it for him...when we asked him to be best man he was very hesitant and agreed on the proviso that he didnt have to do a speech - he had previously been a best man and the nerves ruined his whole day apparantely....so my OH said that would be ok..purely because he really wanted him to do it for him....

Sooo since then my MOH said that she would do the speech instead but last week admitted that she could talk about me but needed to speak to the best man to get some ideas of what to say about my OH...We all then talked about it and decided that OH should speak to his best man and see how he felt about standing up with my MOH and at least doing the toast....

So today it has all blown up as my Oh has mentioned to him this idea and he flipped and said he wouldnt do it...."we have been through all this..blah blah blah" so it seems he is being best man as he feels that he has too rather than taking it as the honour it is and wanting to do it for my OH.

My Oh has kinda put it out there to unask him...and he didnt object to this..to be honest i think he would be relieved....Ohs brother is one of the ushers....so we could swap them....

What do you all think?

Im upset for my OH...I can tell he is a little bit hurt...even though he is being all manly about it!

3 replies

Latest activity by soon2bmrsRB, 21 January, 2012 at 18:46
  • llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

Could the usher not just do the speech instead? if he needs some help, surely the best man can help with any funny memories etc, but the usher just stands up and does the speech.

Would probs keep everyone happy.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends on who your OH really wants as his best man. If he really wants his best friend to be his best man but also wants a speech, why not ask his brother to do the speech? If everyone would be happier with a swap - and no friendships will be ruined - then that sounds like a good option.

My OH's brother is the best man and says he isn't doing a speech - or a very long one. One of the other groomsmen has volunteered to be the back up if needed. At my best friend's wedding last year, she wanted a speech done for here and her sister, the maid of honor, wouldn't so I volunteered.

You want everyone to enjoy the day - both your OH and his best friend - so just decide what would be the best way to achieve that.

Good luck!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

How about having co-best men? My fiance is have 2 best men because his all-time best friend from childhood is shy and doesn't wan to give a speech, so he's also got a very confident and funny best man to do the speech!

i would suggest to your OH that he consider bumping his brother up to co-best man status. It sound his the best man is special to him, and even though this has turned into a row of sorts, it would be unfortunate for there to be a falling out between them over something like this.

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

It doesnt have to be the best man who gives a speech it can be anybody think outside the box, our best man is our 18month old son (he will be 2 and a half when we wed) an we're not having any speeches. if it was me i would just say its fine not to do the speech as it can be very nerve racking and ask somebody else to make the speech. problem solved.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics