Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2016

Order of service HELP

janeyp, 26 of July of 2016 at 21:58 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hello everyone,

I am really hoping someone might be able to help me.

We are having a Catholic wedding without mass, I'm Catholic and the groom isn't.

We have been trying to do our order of service for weeks and can't believe how difficult it is!! I think we've picked all of the elements of the service that are down to preference but we can't work out how it all fits together and what content actually goes into a standard order of service that you give to guests.

We have googled it A LOT and have found lots of different sites that say they have templates but have found them to be more confusing than helpful.

Does anyone have a catholic order of service that they wouldn't mind sharing so that we could just edit our choices (hymns, readings etc.) into it?

Would be so grateful for any help, we have spent so much time on this and are losing the will to live! How is it so difficult?!?

THANK YOU! xxx

3 replies

Latest activity by janeyp, 28 of July of 2016 at 23:05
  • M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

We're having an Anglican service and out order of services are very basic.

Have you asked your priest if he has a copy you could reference?

Ours just outlines the basic order - bridal procession, hymn one, the readings (we just put the titles), hymn two, the marriage & Lord's prayer (we have this on a seperate little cut out) and then the final hymn.

See below - not sure how you can apply this to a Catholic wedding, but I think you just need to keep it simple - the guests don't need to know every single word spoken.

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

If you're not having mass that ought to make life easier, as that's the bit with lots of responses and specific times to stand up/sit/kneel, all of which need spelling out for guests not familiar with the process.

But as you're skipping that bit, all your guests need on the sheet is words to the hymns and a 'running order' of what to expect. On all the orders of service I've seen at weddings, it's usually just a headline for each section, e.g.:

Hymn 1 (with words)
    Reading 1 (read by blah-di-blah, Bride's Uncle)
    "The Marriage"
    Reading 2 (read by blah-di-blah, Groom's Sister)
    The Signing of the Register
    Hymn 2 (with words)
    Dismissal

etc.

The exact order you have them all in is probably something you should work out with your priest.

The Order of Service is supposed to be your guests' map to the ceremony, so they know what's coming when. Some people don't even bother with them, especially for short, simple ceremonies. Don't give yourself a headache over it. Just put yourself in your guests' shoes and try to think what might be useful for you to know if you were in the congregation.

Good luck! Smiley smile x

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

When we met up with our curate, she just gave us an old one to use as a template, I'm sure yours will be happy to oblige.

Ours had the format of

- entrance music

- hymn 1

- marriage speech

- reading 1 (scripture)

- reading 2. W ealso got both readings were done at the same time.

- hymn 2

- signing register

- exit music

- special thanks to, etc.

• J
    Beginner September 2016
    janeyp ·
    • Hide content

Thanks v much for your help ladies!

No templates from our U.K. Priest or the priest who's marrying us in ibiza, v odd!

think we have finally got there now!

thanks again!!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics