Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner August 2010

Order of service - yes or no?

Flowerfairy, 19 of July of 2009 at 14:39 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,

Do you think that order of service is necessary? I’m trying to think back to friends Weddings and I’m sure they didn’t have them. Can’t decide whether to go for it or not? We're having a Church Wedding.

Thoughts please!

X x x

5 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 9 of February of 2024 at 19:43
  • Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

Yes! I definitely think so - even for a civil ceremony. Definitely for church if you are having hymns - you can print the words in.

I think that OOS are a great introduction to the celebration - we are putting in the words to the readings too & more about what is coming up for the rest of the day - timings of photos, directions to the reception venue etc.

That said if you don't want them don't have them! The guests can use the hymn books instead.

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

What Amethyst said ... we didn't even have a legal ceremony in this country as we got wed abroad, but did an order of 'day' for our humanist celebration with family/friends in the UK - which was more an ice breaker for guests, lots of info about the day, the key people (our celebrant, piper, drummer, tog etc), key timings etc - just a nice little keepsake for folk.

But no, they're aren't a given these days although all the weddings I've been to (church or otherwise) have had them.... so its all down to personal choice!

You can do them very simply to keep costs down too ....

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

Yes i think they are a necessity! They give some structure to the service, but also make the guests feel more involved and in the loop if you see what i mean!

We printed our own to keep costs down as Mrs snow patroller said, it took a bit of patience and faffing, but it's worth it!

• F
    Beginner August 2010
    Flowerfairy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice ?

Got a while to decide yet - but it's nice to have your opinions

Cheers ladies!

x x x

• Tammy
    Beginner June 2024 Essex
    Tammy ·
    • Hide content

Ugh, i was hoping for a few no's! I am also struggling with this, we are on a super tight budget, and its an expense we could do without. When I think of all the weddings I have attended, I'm sure they all had them, but I think they are a little wasteful as a lot of them just get left behind after the ceremony. Just noticed the date on this chat... 2009! wowzer! Yeah those order of service things are so 2009! That's it! its a NO! I'm not doing it! There I've said it!

• Sarah
    Beginner June 2025 Gloucestershire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im not doing them Smiley smile im not having a church wedding though, so no hymns

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics