Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrsjones2024
Rockstar June 2024 Essex

Ordering a sample dress from the designer?

Mrsjones2024, 16 of April of 2016 at 10:33 Posted on Planning 0 25

Hi all,

I found a lovely dress online months and months ago that I still love. I tried it on at my first bridal appointment a few weeks ago and, whilst it was lovely, it was tight on me so all that I could focus on was my stomach poking through it!

The woman in the shop was lovely, but a bit pushy, booking me in for an appointment the week later to come back and try it on. I cancelled the appointment as what is the point on trying on the same dress that is too tight on me?

I emailed a few other shops but it turns out that not many shops in Essex stock Justin Alwxnader which I'm surprised by. I have found one shop which said that they don't have the dress I like but that they can order me a sample for £30 and, if I end up ordering the dress, they will take the £30 off the order.

When I called the first shop to cancel the appointment, she told me that the other shop wouldn't be able to order a bigger size as the samples are "all designed for catwalk models" etc etc.

I am a size 10 in normal clothes. The dress I tried on was a 12 and although it did up, it had no give in it at all. I would therefore like to try it on in a 14 and I have emailed the new shop to ask if they can order it for me in this size.

I was surprised by the sizes in the first shop as they were all size 10 and size 12 dresses. I expected the sizes to be bigger so that everyone could try them on and they could be pinned/clamped. She told me that you only get what you are given by the designer. But how on earth would anyone bigger than a 10/12 try any dresses on in that shop?

Has anyone had experience of getting a shop to order you in a sample? Is this woman talking rubbish to try and pressure me into buying this dress from her? X

25 replies

Latest activity by Mrsjones2024, 22 of April of 2016 at 21:23
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

No experience of ordering a sample in however I'm a size 14/16 and the shop I bought my dress from had quite a few for me to try on. I even bought the sample dress I loved and took it home with me. So not all bridal shops only stock size 10.

Compared to the price of dresses I would say if you love this dress it's worth the 30 quid if you can't find it elsewhere and if you decide it's not the one for you 30 isn't a lot to lose and be sure it's not the one.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jayne,

£30 is definitely worth it I think, I'm just waiting to hear back as to whether they can order any size for you. Fingers crossed! X

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

The shop I went to held a variety of sizes, so I'd guess that she's making it up! Fingers crossed they can get it in for you! Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

I would say the £30 is worth it. I'm not sure if she is talking rubbish, pushy definitely. When I was shopping I tried on various designers samples some were size 10 all the way up to a size 18. Maybe Justin Alexander only supply their dresses is a small sample size whereas other designers supply a larger size sample.

• K
    Beginner August 2017
    katiepoppycat ·
    • Hide content

I've had 3 shops order in samples for me. 2 were tiny, 1 was a bit bigger. IT is very frustrating. However I was chatting about it with a designer at a wedding fair who makes her own dresses. She said that every time she makes a sample she has to make a choice - make it a 16/18 so it can be pinned on, or make it a 10 and it is more likely to end up on catwalks or in shoots. I thought it would be humiliating trying on too small dresses but I got used to it quite quickly, and I guess other brides probably do too.

It is entirely possible that the second shop will not be able to get a different size - but I'm sure they will let you know.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I did speak to a shop recently about ordering in a Lillian West sample of a dress I love & was told it would be in a 10/12 as that's their standard sample size that they loan out, so maybe it varies by designer?

The woman does sound a bit pushy though! £30 isn't a bad price though, I was told LW would charge £50.

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    LuxuriousRedConfetti566 ·
    • Hide content

Really? The bridal boutiques I've been to have stocked size 20s in the dresses I wanted to try on, I was struggling to find a sample in a much smaller size so I could see what it really looked like.

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

I tried on dresses in every size in lots of different shops. I'd say most were a 12 or 14. The first time I tried my dress on, the sample the store had was a size 16. I'm an 8 and even when it was pinned I couldn't get an idea of what it would really look like. A few months later I decided I wanted to try it again and another stockist ordered the sample for me to try. They didn't ask my size but it was a size 8 when it came.

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I bought a Justin Alexander sample dress from my local shop- I have no idea what 'official' size it is but I'm a large 12/small 14 usually and it fits me like a glove- so not all JA samples are 'catwalk model' size! Hope that helps!!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I would take the risk for £30, you don't want a dress that is too small especially if you're self concious in it. Taking a dress out that you've paid a lot of money for is also a huge risk and the shop should really never suggest or offer it, it can ruin the gown. I've known a dress get ruined and the bride was broken hearted and had to fly to her wedding without her dress and buy a new one once there, don't let the seller push you into a decision you aren't happy with. ( I know you haven't said they'd try and refit it but if the seller is pushy I thought they might try.)

Hope that helps.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the designer and area. I'm a 10/12, and all of the samples that I tried on had to be pinned, except for a couple of mermaid-style Ronald Joyce dresses. Certainly, all of the Maggie's I tried on had to be pinned at the back.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. I have emailed the store and asked if they can order me a size 14 and then it can be pinned. I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

This is the dress I am interested in. It has no give in it at all...

If they can't order a bigger size then I will just have to go back and try it on when I've lost more weight! X

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

This is the other dress I tried on that fit me like a glove. I preferred this one but my BMs keep talking about the satin one! X

Which one one do you prefer? X

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't really matter which we prefer - we haven't seen either of them on you, and we may all have completely different tastes. The most important thing is which one do you feel most special in?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree with madam red that's impossible to say without seeing them on you. Based on model pics my favourite is the second one. I could easily change my mind if they were on you. I'm sure you will get votes for both. With regard to bridesmaids remember it's your dress not theirs and you should chose the dress that makes you feel the best not chose one based on others opinions or you could regret it. Remember you will need to stand, sit, dance and go to the loo not to mention breathe. It will be a long day. When you chose and order your dress it should be ordered in a size that they can then fit to you so it shouldn't be so tight you can't move anyway. Best of luck x

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Personally, based on the model pics, I prefer the second one. But has Jayne said, it doesn't matter what others say. Its how you feel in the dress. Both are stunning, both will look different on you compared to the models, but one will make you feel more special than the other. That one is your winner Smiley smile

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps you should go back without your bridesmaids, sometimes too many other opinions can be overwhelming and can stop you from making a decision based on what you like best! From your posts with the pictures it sounds like you are falling in love with the second dress, maybe just take one person you can trust like your mum, and see how you feel then?

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Go back and try them both again and go with the one YOU prefer..... just because your bridesmaids prefer one over the other, it doesn't mean that is the right choice- YOU have to be totally in love with the dress you choose for YOU.... I suspect you will regret it if you don't buy the dress you prefer to be honest!

Oh and for what it's worth- going by the model pics (and as others have said, they will look totally different on you!) personally, I prefer the one you prefer- the one with the lace!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. I definitely prefer the second one but I would like to try the satin one on again to see. I have an appointment at David's Bridal on Wednesday with one bridesmaid who was on holiday when I went last time and then I have another one at the end of the month with everyone coming. I agree, I will get the one I like the most. I definitely will take a trip back to that shop to try them on after I have been to my other two appointments x

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Just popping back to say I 'visited' my JA dress at the shop yesterday (to take some photos of the embellishments and lace so I can try and match accessories, not JUST to drool over it!!) and I checked the label- it's marked as a US 12 for size and fits me really well- as I said before I'm a UK 12/14 depending on the cut! Hope that helps!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

So I went to David's Bridal yesterday and OMG it was awful! All of their dresses were hideous and I didn't even want to try any of them on! It made me think about the 8731 (beaded mermaid style one) even more! I have another appointment on 30th. I think that will be the deal breaker, to see if I find a dress that I like more than that one!

Thamks for the tip about the size. I tried the 8731 on in a UK 12 and it fit really well x

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

Oh! I was going to go to Davids Bridal - now I'm wondering whether to bother or not! Glad it made your mind up a bit more about the one you like though!

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    LuxuriousRedConfetti566 ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the second! Smiley smile Not a fan of satin. Of course it entirely depends on which one suited you.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I tried a dress on in a bridal store and my friend absolutely loved it, she raved about it; all I could think of was 'I look like sea foam!' Don't choose a dress based on what others think or you'll spend your wedding day thinking about your other dress. Especially if you've got a reasonable amount of time to come away and think about it, you only get this day once, make it perfect for you.

Hope that helps x

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I went to the one at Westfield Shopping Centre in East London. Awful! My friend also went to another branch when she was wedding dress shopping and said it was equally as awful!

Thanks girls. I am very good at knowing what does and doesn't suit me. I said I hated lace, big princess dresses, illusion necklines etc etc. Tried them on and it turns out I was right, I still don't like them on me at all. So if I like something, I will wear it. I am really angling towards the second dress now. I think I will take my mum and my bridesmaid who hadn't seen it yet with me when I try it on again as too many opinions just gets confusing! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics