Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shnarfy1
Beginner November 2010

OT Annoying postman!!

Shnarfy1, 14 of August of 2010 at 23:51 Posted on Planning 0 8

This is so completely totally off topic! I live in a small block of flats which has a video intercom system at the entrance, it has a trade button which postmen can use to access the building. Every Saturday for the past 6 weeks the postman rings our flat number at 8am asking for us to buzz him in! Every other day of the week the postmen come in and out fine but it's really starting to become a bit of a nusiance. I know 8am may not seem an awfully early hour but when it's my OHs only day off during the week and he gets woken up repeatedly by it, it becomes totally unacceptable. Do you think there's anything I can do about this, I don't want to call up royal mail and sound like an idiot Smiley sad

8 replies

Latest activity by Helsenki, 30 of April of 2023 at 16:46
  • kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Could you not politely explain to him next time he does it what you've said above? Or does he seem like the unreasonable sort? Smiley smile

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Is there anyway you can just silence it on Saturday mornings? That's what I would do! Such a coward lol

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

Each time we get buzzed we do explain but there seems to be more than one postman who does the rounds to our house. Our button isn't the first on the list and I'm not sure why he's choosing to ring ours (perhaps other people aren't answering) but there is simply no reason for him to ring us for access. It's annoying that our buzzer system doesn't have those card slots where people write their surname beside their buzzer, otherwise we would have written a note saying we do not grant access. We have tried using the trade button after letting him in and it works fine for us.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I would pop a note on the door, just leave it there for a couple of weeks politely saying "Can all Postmen use the 'Trade' buzzer for entry".. Hopefully that would do the trick.

I lived in a block of 4 apartments a couple of years ago and often had to pop notes on the door cos people peed me off by doing stuff like leaving the lock on the latch all day, everyday so that anyone could walk into our entrance and stairs etc.

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Ignore it! That way they may stop buzzing? Or is there any way of making a sign explaining about the trade button? Personally, if I'd explained it before and they still kept doing it, I would phone royal mail and complain.

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

I'll try leaving a note on the door but I reckon it may just get pulled off by one of the other residents, I once left a note asking for a parcel which was due to be left at next doors flat (good friends) and when I came back it was shredded to confetti on the floor. I wish our intercom had a silence button. I think I might contact the management company as well as royal mail and see if they can do anything for us. It's not just postmen, we also get builders, handymen, people saying they've lost their keys. Our other neighbours are heavy smokers and go for about 10 every hour, each time they leave the door on the latch and stand like bouncers either side of the door. It intimidates my mum when she comes to visit and she usually waits in the car until they have gone before ringing my buzzer. They let people in without asking and it's ruddy well annoying as this flat pretty much sold itself to us with it's "high tech video intercom system" being the main security feature, our only other form of security on our front door is one of those bathroom style door locks which you twist, only difference being that there is a keyhole on the other side and could easily be kicked in. Now I feel like we aren't getting what we were told we would when we started renting the place. Don't know if this is something I can bring up with our lettings agent? Haha, I should have titled this thread "peed off with my flat" everythings flowing out now!!!

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

It would pee me off no end. Maybe next time hey buzz you answer and tell him to press the trade one for access. Do this for a few weeks to make sure you get every one of them and hopfully they will take the hint.

x

• nicky1980
    Beginner February 2011
    nicky1980 ·
    • Hide content

My other half is a postman and says sometimes trade buttons only work at certain times. But he says if he has to he buzzes someone who he has post for.

I'd speak to him yourselves as the message might not be relayed properly through the office.

It does sound very annoying!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics