Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hopefulmum2b
Beginner August 2012

OT but any tips on preventing prickly heat

hopefulmum2b, 12 November, 2011 at 09:42 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello all

im going to the dominican republic in 2.5 weeks yay.......and the last few holidays ive been on i have suffered really badly....the last hol i was out in sun on first day for two hours and the following night i had it all over my body....and it was awful it kinda ruined the holiday not being able to go out in Smiley sad

Anyway so does anyone know any tips to help prevent it or what sun tan lotion to use whether it be a sensitive one or hypoallergenic.... cos what prickly heat actually is is when your sweat pores are blocked up.....all it says on NHS website is stay cool and wear loose clothing.... Smiley sad not much advice really.

so any tips would be great

Thanks

8 replies

Latest activity by Made By Debbie Howe, 13 November, 2011 at 08:55
  • Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I cant help on preventing it but Aloe Vera gel definately gets rid of it and stops it feeling hot/itchy.

p.s. i am so jealous you are off to DP soon, i love it there - we are going there on honeymoon next year ? Have a fab time xx

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I get prickly heat - I take anti histamines each day when I'm away to prevent it, but use hydrocortizone cream on it if you do get it.

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey hun

thanks for the tip i have never been. where abouts have you been and where you going on your honeymoon?? any good tips for over there??

xx

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Not only wear loose clothing, but natural fibres- cotton, hemp, silk and nothing synthetic like polyester or nylon

An anti-bacterial body wash can help as it can be caused by staph on the skin- ones containing chlorhexidine, often a pink colour, is the strongest over the counter type & used for patients in hospitals to wash with before operations

I read that anhydrous lanolin creams benefit some people (lanolin is from sheep & very soothing)

Hydrocotrisone cream (I'd only use 1%) to soothe inflammation if the skin is really affected

I wouldn't recommend those prickly heat powders, because as soon as you start to sweat, this turns to a paste & irritates the skin even more

Obviously keep cool, stay out of the sun where possible, wear a large hat & sit in the air con with a cocktail!

• Made By Debbie Howe
    Dedicated
    Made By Debbie Howe ·
    • Hide content

I suffer from this quite badly and I take piriton for it. On a couple of holidays I have waited until the rash breaks out and then started taking the piriton but find once the rash is there it's really hard to get rid of and it's so itchy and uncomfortable and looks awful. What I've done on my last couple of holidays is I have taken the tablets about a week before I travel so the medication is already in my system and it seems to stop the rash appearing. I recently went to Egypt and no rash, after a few days of being out there I stopped taking them and was fine.

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello the piriton i have just bought says take one every 4 hours....is that what you do one week before you go? or just take one every day?

Thanks

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content

thanks for the info.....ive been told about hydracotisone cream and im worried will the dominican airport let me take it????? dont wanna get to customs and they dont let me through cos ive an un-prescribed cream......i dont know how strict they are.

Thanks

• Made By Debbie Howe
    Dedicated
    Made By Debbie Howe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes that's the one I have and use. I just take it once a day and they make me drowsy so I take it when I go to bed so it helps me sleep. My Dad also gets the heat rash and takes piriton and it works for him.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics