Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

O/T Cat and dog owners DO NOT USE BOB MARTIN SPOT ON TREATMENT!!!

27 of September of 2010 at 16:59 Posted on Planning 0 29

On Thursday night my dog was scratching so we gave her a flea bath and combed through her coat...we also have 4 cats, (3 moggies and a main coon). Of course they all had to be treated so we ran to the supermarket and the only flea stuff available was Bob Martin Spot On. We bought enough for all the cats ant went home. After treating the whole house we followed the instructions and out on all 4 cats. Nightmare!!!!

The next day Harvey our main coon seemed a bit off colour (eyes a bit weepy and lethergic). I didn't think it was serious until I got home from work to find he had gotten worse, he came into the lounge and literally fell to the floor with his tongue hanging out, he couldn't focus, or lift his head and was completely immobilised. I was so so upset and my little girl was inconsolable, we were sure he was going to die. We phoned the vet who immediately after describing his symptoms said "you've given him Bob Martin haven't you?". He told me to get him in the bath or shower and wash it off his skin which we did. Thankfully over the next 5-6 hours he started coming round and is much better today.

I've since read up about this stuff on the internet and was in floods of tears reading about hundreds of cat owners who weren't so lucky with their cats, so just wanted to warn anyone to please stay away from this stuff. I have written to the company today, lets see what comes back.

29 replies

Latest activity by Deanna, 17 of March of 2022 at 12:31
  • kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god thats awful! How are they still selling it if vets are recognising the signs????? I only ever use frontline or drontal even if it means waiting til the next day. Glad your furbaby is on the mend xx

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, poor thing, glad he's ok now.

We only use frontline too, bloody expensive but definitly worth it!

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

Thank goodness harveys ok

btw i have a maine coon (3 of them) the one in my profile pic is a harvey too Smiley smile

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

OMG - really?

I got some of this last week as I decided frontline was too expensive for me @ the moment to afford, but I've not used it yet...

Thank god I read your post... what the hell is it still doing on the shelves of reputable pet supply shops if it has such a hideous reaction? I'm going to have to go read up on it now...

Thanks for the warning...

Glad to hear Harvey is coming thru' it - having read other reports, he was lucky.

I'm going to email the store I got it from and ask why the hell they stock it!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, that's awful!! I use the Bob Martin cat litter and litter tray freshener so might well have tried the treatment if I hadn't seen this warning. Thank you very much for passing this on. Hope your pooch is ok now xx

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

I would NEVER trust anything from a supermarket. After a while working as a veterinary nurse, its just not worth the risk. Only Frontline and Drontal for my animals. It may be more expensive but its worth it in the long run.

Hope they make a FULL recovery.

Nat

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I would not recommend any of their products..... the ones for guinea pigs are next to useless!!!!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I never use anything unless it's from my vets.

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

I work at the Royal Veterinary college and have had many discussions with Vet friends about this.

Supermarket flea treatments not only often cause allergic reactions but also lack the active ingredient in others such as frontline and drontal. So they dont even work! Some supermarkets do now sell Frontline so you can buy it that way without seeing a vet.

Best bet is always use something likt frontline, or go directly to your vet, it may be a bit more expensive but its deff worth it.

Im so glad your cat is ok!! It must have been really stressful for all of you! Its horrible when pets are ill. Im about to take one on with AIDS, hope I can keep him happy and healthy! Maybe we're crazy!

• JellySweets
    Beginner September 2011
    JellySweets ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the warning, I generally only use frontline on my cats but it is expensive. Sorry you had to go through such a horrible ordeal, I hope you cat feels better quickly x

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Our vets warned us off bob martin from the beginning, we tried it and it didn't even work! Only use frontline now!

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

Deleted

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I knew about the flea treatment, we use frontline for fleas but have used the BM stuff for worming him...... havent seen any reaction other than a grumpy face!

any word on the worm stuff then??? have seen drontal ads on tele tonight so might give that a looksee..

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Drontal is what the RSPCA uses and the ones that most vets I'vw worked with suggest. I think it also now comes in a 'spot on' form, so you dont have to get your fingers anywhere risky!

• ruth23
    Beginner September 2011
    ruth23 ·
    • Hide content

We used that bob martin stuff on our little cat and she could hardly hold her head up or walk and she just looked plain sick. Even though we put it in between her shoulders, she managed to reach it with her paw and I think she'd been licking it. We rinsed her off after a couple of hours and we googled it afterwards and there's TONS of posts about it... really wish we'd googled it before we'd used it.

• B
    BobMartin ·
    • Hide content

Hi Clair,

We are very sorry that your cat was poorly and are pleased that he is on the mend. Thank you for writing to us - it truly is a devastating experience for anyone who has had to deal with a pet suffering from a suspected adverse reaction and we can fully empathise with this. It is of vital importance to find out what happened so we would really appreciate it if you could complete the form that we sent to you earlier this week so that we can undertake a full investigation.

Many Thanks,

The Bob Martin Team

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

seriously????

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure that isn't a serious reply from Bob Martin!! The Hitched ID doesn't even seem to exist anymore.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

FWIW, Frontline is available through several chemists including pharmacies at Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury etc. Slightly cheaper than the vet. It is also available online from reputable suppliers at greater discounts.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-products-flea-treatments-frontline-spot-on-for-cats-and-dogs-c-3_417/frontline-spot-on-flea-and-tick-treatment-for-cats-p-118

is an example......

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

We used Bob Martin on our cat about a year ago and his skin had a really bad reaction to it - all his fur fell out where it had been applied and the skin went bright red and wept constantly. It obviously bothered him a lot as he kept trying to lick it and became very subdued.

Luckily continual washing with a saline solution helped and it eventually cleared up; I also did internet research and was horrified by all the stories of cats which had died. I practically stayed awake around the clock watching him in case he got worse! Our cat (and us too) were very lucky but I'd never go near the Bob Martin stuff again.

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

My god, I will never ever use Bob Martin after reading some of your comments. How on earth is it still allowed to be sold?? If it was a beauty product for humans and a lot of people experienced the symptoms mentioned it would be pulled from the shelves in seconds! Ridiculous.

• B
    BobMartin ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

Yes - we are part of the Bob Martin team that regularly monitors online forums and we take these things very seriously. We care a great deal and completely understand your point regarding our responsibility in ensuring safety levels of a product are of the highest standard. We can assure you that we are constantly investing in new product development to help achieve this. As with humans, pets are also susceptible to having adverse reactions to products and we appreciate how truly devastating this type of experience is for anyone who has had to deal with a pet suffering from a Suspected Adverse Reaction (SAR).

Clair - as mentioned previously, it is of vital importance to find out what happened so we would really appreciate it if you could complete the form that we sent to you earlier this week so that we can undertake a full investigation. We always appreciate any feedback on our products and would encourage anyone who has had any problems or wants to comment on them to contact us directly - our contact details can be found on our website www.bobmartin.co.uk if anyone wants to get in touch.

Many Thanks

The Bob Martin Team

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Well if you ARE the real 'bob martin' then wtf are you doing still selling this particular product??? Thats what I'd like to know. Its disgusting that you get away with it.

I know that, on the basis of me passing this info on to others, that Watchdog have been contacted about it. Hope to heck they look into it and show this product up for what it is. Evil.

'susceptible to having adverse reactions'??? OK - cats are dying. I think if Oil of Olay were churning out a product that was killing humans, or causing awful 'reactions', it would be off the shelf fairly PDQ.

So whether you are or aren't connected to the BM company, hopefully Bob Martin will be getting a hefty kick up the backside to do something about this from Watchdog.

bring it on.

?

• Keltickurse
    Beginner March 2011
    Keltickurse ·
    • Hide content

This is terrible - really do hope bob martin get a kick up the ass!!!

On another note - Frontline isn't always working any more - fleas are building up an immunity to it! We've found that rotating between Frontline and Advocat (also prescribed by the vet) seems to work best with keeping them at bay.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

My Ferret....ok, no commernts.....was treated with BM and immediately started to have discomfort. I showered the product off(which really peed the ferret off) and this sorted the problem. He is now treated with vet prescibed products.

• D
    Beginner March 1983 Greater Manchester
    Deanna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow I’m so sorry to hear you went through this. You may be able to help me here. Ok so I have an American bulldog who has a grain, wheat, rice intolerance and the Merle gene which is the albino gene in dogs. He is pure white and has a bright blue eye. So anyway, I had used the Bob Martin spot on flea treatment on him before but the shop only had the RSPCA one in this particular time. I used the RSPCA spot on on him and minutes later I noticed through his white fur that his skin was turning redder and redder almost bubbling in front of my eyes. I quickly (not very easily as he is 50kg) put him in the bath where I washed and rinsed it all off properly with coolish water. His skin was actually burned and it blistered badly. Needless to say, I felt terrible. Over the next few days the blistered area turned into scabs. It healed eventually but it took a while before his skin was ok again. So I’ve only ever used the Bob Martin one ever since. Its just puzzled me because I’ve looked up the ingredients in the RSPCA one and it has the fipronil in it as the Bob Martin one does. If anyone has any advice as to why this happened I’d really appreciate it. Thank you.
  • D
    Beginner March 1983 Greater Manchester
    Deanna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow I’m so sorry to hear you went through this. You may be able to help me here. Ok so I have an American bulldog who has a grain, wheat, rice intolerance and the Merle gene which is the albino gene in dogs. He is pure white and has a bright blue eye. So anyway, I had used the Bob Martin spot on flea treatment on him before but the shop only had the RSPCA one in this particular time. I used the RSPCA spot on on him and minutes later I noticed through his white fur that his skin was turning redder and redder almost bubbling in front of my eyes. I quickly (not very easily as he is 50kg) put him in the bath where I washed and rinsed it all off properly with coolish water. His skin was actually burned and it blistered badly. Needless to say, I felt terrible. Over the next few days the blistered area turned into scabs. It healed eventually but it took a while before his skin was ok again. So I’ve only ever used the Bob Martin one ever since. Its just puzzled me because I’ve looked up the ingredients in the RSPCA one and it has the fipronil in it as the Bob Martin one does. If anyone has any advice as to why this happened I’d really appreciate it. Thank you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics