Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

O/T - cost to have wisdom tooth removed??

4 January, 2011 at 12:08 Posted on Planning 0 32

I have had some pain in my mouth for a few weeks and over the last couple of days got worse until I decided yesterday I couldnt stand it anymore and couldnt wait for dentist to re-open today so called the emergency dental line. 6 hours in A & E later and I have a severe infection in my gum, an abbsess (SP) under my wisdom tooth and the infection is starting to rot my gum slightly - yummers!!

I have 3 types of antibiotics and moth wash etc to use alongside painkillers and an appointment tomorrow morning to see a dentist. They said at the hospital they think they will have to take the tooth out.

Anyone know how much it will cost? Someone at work reckons hundreds and online I can see anything varying from £25 - a few hundred. Have already spent £21 last night on prescriptions and know my appointment to examine the tooth tomorrow will cost around £16 so worried about the cost if they remove it as it is after Christmas and all, money is far from freeflowing!

32 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 5 January, 2011 at 14:14
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I never paid a penny for three of mine to be remoed, if u get referred by your dentist you dont pay i believe?!

But i do feel for you, tooth ache is the worst as theres nothing you can do about it Smiley sad

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Ouch!

There are 3 "bands" of prices for NHS dentist treatment - I take it you have an NHS dentist? Here's the link: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1781.aspx?categoryid=74&subcategoryid=742

Extractions are band 2 which is £45.60 but this includes the consultation too so you shouldn't have to pay twice (I only ever paid £45.60 for my root canal which was 3 appointments)

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Yes i would assume being on the NHS that the treatment is free.

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content

I had all four of mine out just over a year ago and didn't have to pay a penny. Hope the pain is easing a bit for you

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content

Sorry me again.

My OH had to have a wisdom tooth taken out at an emergency dentist quite a while back and he paid £12.00. I had mine out at the hospital, so if you get referred it might be different than having them out at the dentist

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

I've had my top two wisdom teeth out which had come through and they were £40ish (the middle band on nhs treatment thingy)

Unfortunately one of bottom wisdom teeth is impacted and I have to have it removed as I get the infected gum like you have described where my face swells up. As its impacted I have to have an operation to remove it (I won't go into gory details) so if you go nhs you could be waiting for months. Fortunately I have private healthcare with work and I had my meeting with the consultant on Xmas eve and having it out next Tuesday. I was with him for 15mins tops and if I was paying it'd have cost me £185 (just for the consultancy appt)!!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I got mine done at dentist. £40 for a tooth extraction regardless..... but given all the other work I had as well I paid a hefty bill.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Were you referred to a dental hospital though? They are free just like normal hospitals but even NHS dentists will charge I think.

I go privately and pay a hefty monthly sum for the priviledge but a wisdom tooth extraction would still cost me £200 I believe.

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

Hey chick, mine was free to have it removed as I was referred by my dentist to the maxillo facial clinic at the hospital. i had to pay for the dentist appt but nothing for the hospital xx

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Sorry meant to say Claire I hope you feel better soon. I've been there with infections, wisdom extractions etc not long along so I feel your pain.

Does England not have a prepayment prescription system were you can pay unfront for 3 months? Here it's something like £12 for three months regardless of the number of prescriptions you get within that time. I know our charges are less in Scotland so you might not have anything like this but if you do it's worth getting because you'd be refunded your £21 and then don't need to pay for anything again for 3 months.

x

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

It's about £7.50 per item in England!!

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

Me again!!! i did have to pay to have the tooth my wisdom tooth was impacted against extracted i think it was £40 all together but that time i was referred to another clinic that offers sedation x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Aw I hope you feel better soon, and that the treatment isn't too awful.

The prepayment system does also operate in England - its £30ish pound for 3 months.

https://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppcdd/patient.do

• M and M
    Rockstar August 2025 West Midlands
    M and M ·
    • Hide content

If your dentist refers you to hospital its free but if dentist can do it themselves you pay! Thats what ive found when ppl i no have had teeth removed!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Kayl.

Yes RaeF our charges are much less now we have a devolved parliament and we were meant to be getting free prescriptions but I'm not sure what is happening with that at the moment.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I had all four wisdoms removed 2 years ago and my H2B had all of his removed last year. We both went to our dentist who referred us to our local hospital. You do not have to pay a penny if you have them out on the NHS. Most of my friends have had theirs out too.

Hope that helps!

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Oh no- i do feel for you! toothache is the worst pain ever. I was in agony with my wisdoms and was so glad when i had them all out at once, under general anaesthetic. I never knew that afterwards my mouth would feel so light- my wisdoms were enormous! Goodness knows how they ever fitted in my mouth!

Hope you get it sorted soon Smiley sad

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, my nhs dentist referred me to the dental hospital as i kept getting infections in my wisdom teeth.

Was referred and dealt with within a few months, so think i was pretty lucky.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Ive got 3 of mine worming their way out, they are taking ages and the 1st one took yonks, every so often i get a bit of pain but not too much, obviously you must be in much worse with the infection!!

mum reckons i should get them whiped out (makes is sound so painless!!!) b4 the wedding encase they get bad then, im too much of a wimp though an i thing im just going to leave them be and hope for the best!!!!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

If it's that bad then the dentist might not refer you as it could take months for a referral unless you have an emergency dental hospital. If your teeth are through and not compounded getting them out at the dentist would be the quickest way for pain relief. I had a massive infection in one which was taken out easily in the surgery but my second wasn't quite as easy. x

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Bit late to this but Mr S had one of his wisdom teeth taken out for about £30. I offered to do it for free, but he politely declined.

P.S. what is "moth wash" Clurr?!

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

Yup as the others have said, if you get a hospital referal its free. Strangely enough my h2b is having his done tomorrow! Apparently the difference between the treatments is this: dentists are no longer allowed to put you out to have work done. This can only be done at the hospital and as such is free. If you have treatment at the dentist (which is a damn site quicker) it can cost in the region of £200! My other half insisted on being put out so got a referal but has had to wait 4 months for an appointment. And as our luck is so amazingly bad we have found out that he won't be covered under his sick pay rules at work for this and is saving all his holiday for the wedding so he has to have 2 days off unpaid - so this is costing us £200 anyway!!! Smiley sad

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

OMG! Why have I just read this??????

Hello wisdom tooth infection twinnie!! Did A&E treat you?? I was told by the NHS walk-in centre, and the dental nurse via NHS Direct that A&E won't deal with dental pain ☹️ I had an emergency dentist appointment on Monday. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes! He looked in my mouth, mumbled something about widsom too infection, stuck something on the area, told me to rinse, stuck something else on the area, told me to rinse and sent me packing with some anti-biotics! I wasn't told to go back to my dentist or anything... Not sure what to do but my face is still all swollen.

I'm very happy to hear you are eating. i've not eaten since Sunday. My jaw is locked and i can't open it very far - can't even get my toothbrush in the gap! ☹️

I have a fear of dentists (not quite sure where it came from - never used to have a problem) and would dread having it removed. I'd need to be put in hospital and knocked out - I don't want to know what they do!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Ahh - I bought some corsodyl mouthwash too!

I was given Erythemdycl (sp?) anti-bs and paracetemol. The pain has died a little, just feels all uncomfortable and swollen and i'm living off juice. I was told to eat soft food and chew on the other side but can't get my mouth open enough to get a spoon or fork in! ?

Aren't we in the wars! ☹️ It's grim...

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Well that's the wierd thing. i was told to take 2 immediately then next day 1 tablet 4 times a day (which seemed really random!). I'm on day 3 now. The severe pain has gone now, it's just umcomfortable and swollen and it's my jaw and throat that seem to hurt the most.

Managed to sleep last night too which is a bonus in helping me feel better, previous nights i'd manage 1.5 hours max and then be up for about 1.5 hours before dosing again. I did wake up this morning with a massive swollen face and my mouth was really sore though ☹️

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do that all the time with antibiotics... it kind of kick starts it.

I'm on my second lot now, but for something different... these ones are much more powerful and I can already feel a difference 24 hours later, hopefully won't be too much longer...

Hope you feel better soon, both of you!!! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics