Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

CupcakeQueen
Beginner January 2011

O/T Hamster Owners...

CupcakeQueen, 10 of September of 2010 at 00:11 Posted on Planning 0 18

One of my lovely little hamsters is very old now and is starting to rapidly show signs of aging and decline. I dont think she is in any pain but she sleeps so much its quite hard to tell. She is going bald and has a slightly swollen and sore looking cheek.

I am not sure what to do for the best for her.. let natures take its course or help her out..

Any hamster owners here with experience of elderly hamsters?

I know it sounds strange but I adore her and she has moved with me alot since I got her 2 years ago, so I am very very sad tonight..[:'(]

Sorry to be SO off topic!

Laura xx

18 replies

Latest activity by Vikster79, 17 of September of 2010 at 09:15
  • Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

My hamster has just hit the dreaded 2 yr mark so I know how you feel ☹️ She is going slightly bald over her back and is no where near as acticve as she used to be, I have got her a new cage which means she doesnt have to strain herself climbing up vertical tubes, we are also going away next week and I am so paranoid something will happen while we are away that I have begged and pleaded with my vet to look after her, so she has instant medical attention if need be.......

My feeling is that if she is sore then she really needs to go and see the vet, maybe something as simple as a bit of food stuck in her pouch that can be removed fairly easily, if it's something more serious then she shouldn't be left.

I hope she ok, would be so much kinder if the little things just drift away when they are asleep ☹️

Suze xx

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I agree with juicymelins - if it was just the baldness and slowing down then I'd say it's old age and just make sure you give her a good end to life and make her comfortable but it may be that shes got a problem with her teeth / pouch and can't eat very well which would increase the aging process rapidly.

I know how horrible it is and I have sobbed my heart out in the vets over some of mine before but in the end you have to make the decision that's best for them and in this case it sounds like you'd be best off helping her on...

i'm sorry though, I really can sympathise. I've currently got hamsters number 8 and 9 and they're still only about 9 months old so I know I have time left with them but I still miss the others.

?

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much ladies, I am going to call the vets today for some advice but I can barely mention her name before getting upset!

I am so gutted but I just want whatever is best for her.. I will keep you updated ☹️

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I have spoken to them and they want to see her Monday..so yeah, tough weekend ☹️

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

? Laura. It won't be nice but it really will be the kindest thing - for her, not for you. Just make sure you give her lots of nice treats and cuddles this weekend and make her nice and comfortable.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Thanks RaeF, some people think I am mad getting so upset. I think only small pet owners get it..

xx

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Oh i completely understand, i was in tears when they cut my little boy's nails! silly me

My little fella is 27 months old and is going a little bald, but is still quite sprightly but i dread the day when he gets poorly - its awful isnt it. Just as the others have said, keep her warm and comfortable, hope everything is ok this morning with your hammy x

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Just a little tip for you Laura, feed her a tiny, tiny bit of baby food. Just make sure it doesn't have anything like onions, garlic or citrus fruits in it. Literally offer her an amount the size of your little finger nail, anymore will upset her tummy. But that will keep her bulked up and is obviously very easy for her to eat.

That's what I have given to my oldies. Actually, they all have it and love it! My two winter white boys will lick it straight off my finger as they love it so much!

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Awwwww ? I really hope she will be ok, just because they are little doesn't mean they are loved any less than other pets ☹️ You are doing the right thing having her looked at and at the end of the day if letting her go is the kindest thing for her, you are doing it because you love her xxx

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

Ah Laura, is this Clover?

It's horrible to loose a pet no matter what size they are.

Spend lots of time with her this weekend, lots of cuddles.

Keep your hopes up that the vets can do something for her on monday.

❤️

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeap, my little Clover ☹️ I think work think I have lost the plot today as I keep getting a bit teary..

Thanks so much ladies xx

RaeF- thanks for the advice, I will certainly do that tonight xx

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

RaeF, thanks for the baby food advice. I gave her some tonight and she loved it and I spent a really nice time with her. Its the first time this week i've been with her and managed not to sob.

The others gobbled some up too!

Thought i'd flash my little Clover in younger years

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Sending a million hugs your way. I know exactly how you feel and people don't generally understand. I had 6 rats and after I lost the first one I cried for two weeks straight, they really do become part of the family.

Clover is one cute lil hamster Smiley smile

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Aah, she looks like she's having a lovely time. Really glad she liked the baby food, hopefully it will give her some energy to enjoy this weekend and for you to spend some time with her. Just remember to only give it in small amounts - I don't want your brood to get poorly tummys!!

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content

Sending lots of hugs Laura ? Clover is a cutie. x

Hope things go ok over the weekend. I love having hammies but its so sad when they get poorly.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Clover passed away peacefully tonight at home and although I dont think i've quite stopped sobbing yet I am glad it was at home and where she was comfy..

Animals get me everytime!!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that Laura - at least you know you did everything you could for her and made her comfortable.

?

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

?

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no thats really sad! so sorry chick but you did what you could and thats all that matters, chin up :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics