Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gillsy
Beginner April 2010

OT - is there a doctor in the house????

Gillsy, 9 January, 2010 at 22:30 Posted on Planning 0 20

How can I stop coughing???

Its driving me MAD!!!!! ? I caught a chill in my chest when I was out running along the beach last Saturday morning (silly I know) and by the time I got home I had to just jump straight into bed in full running kit (minus the running shoes) as I was shaking so hard cos I was cold. Took me the best part of 2 hours to even feel remotely warm. Felt cold all last weekend with a little bit of a cough now and again. Felt sick all day Monday and Tuesday, again with a little bit of a cough.

Went to the doctor on Tuesday, they said it was viral, nothing they could do - come back if it gets worse - See ya. Fair enough ? When I went to bed Tuesday night had a 102c temp and I must have coughed 5 hours solid before I even managed to get any sleep.

I've been coughing every since. Got a cough bottle on Wednesday - a chesty one that apparently "knock you out" when you go to bed - and nothings happening. Just feel damn well rubbish this evening.

I know this is a bit self indulgent but can anybody give me any suggestions??? Anybody got the same thing just now???

Trying to stay positive with these thoughts - 1. Losing weight through not eating as much, 2. Abs are getting a mega workout with all the coughing, 3. saving money cos I can't go out. ?

20 replies

Latest activity by Gillsy, 11 January, 2010 at 14:12
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Hot steamy showers should also ease the tubes........... ty to have a sip of water instead of clearing your throat when you feel a tickle coming on, not the easiest but it helps..

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Nona - I'll try these and hope they help a little.

?

• Ms Nic
    Beginner May 2010
    Ms Nic ·
    • Hide content

No advice from me Smiley sad

Ive been struggling with my damn cold since hogmany... Bloody fed up with it now... Wose one Ive had in YEARS...

Hope ur feeling better soon though!

Nx

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

I cant offer much advice gillsy but hope you feel better soon! x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

There's some medicine you can buy which is a bit of a cough suppresent but I can't for the life of me remember the name!!!

A friend I used to work with had some throat problem (had injections in her throat every so often) and she told me about it when I had an irriating cough. Was great just before bed to help me stop coguhing and sleep. I think it was along the lines of night nurse or something. You might be able to go into a chemist and ask??

Sorry, not entirely helpful but hopefully a chemist will help. Let me know if you have any luck ?

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

Hope your feeling a better today G ?...if your still coughing though or still have that tickle good old honey and lemon should help ?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help girls - I'll try anything cos its really beginning to get me down.

I'm sure I'll be fit and healthy when I go back to work on Wednesday....lol

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I'm a big fan of Covonia cough medicine. I used to swear by Benylyn but it's so sugary it piles on the pounds! I tried Covonia and this seems to take it away much quicker. Think if it continues, might be worth going back for another check just to make sure it's not a chest infection.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I swear by Benylin.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

H2B says codeine is a bona fide cough suppressant, so if you have any co-codamol or the like it might help to take some?

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Might be worth going back to the docs incase you have a chest infection now. ☹️

When I get the cold I usually end up barking like a dog and nothing really helps me. My neighbour actually brought me Disprin last year because she could hear me and felt sorry that I wasn't getting any rest. It tasted lovely but didn't work.

Codeine doesn't work for me as I'm on the strongest you can get anyway and was taking them because I was in so much pain from coughing but it didn't stop the bark!

Water and salt is meant to be good but yuck ?.

Ask in your chemist or buy everything on offer to try!

Get well soon xx

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to say thank you ladies for your concern and suggestions.

Tonight I feel much better - not coughing as much and when I do I'm actually managing to get some of the bad stuff up (thats disgusting I know but its what I'm needing). Hoping its coming to an end now.

I'm just left with all the pain in my chest, abs and back now from the constant coughing for a week but I guess that will mend in time.

thanks again ladies ?

• sweetheart_sgc
    Beginner June 2010
    sweetheart_sgc ·
    • Hide content

Hi love, sounds just like what i had over christmas was in bed for 3 days and didnt see any of my babies open there presents i was so gutted i had two mouthfuls of christmas dinner and went bk to bed. my 5year old kept coming upstairs and saying mummy why u been in bed for days are you gettin up. boxing day i was still in bed at 4, got out at 4.30 to see a doctor to tell me just to get rest and its just virur i was so mad. ive lost half a stone which i cant affort to lose coz i only just weigh 7stone gonna take me ages to put weigh bk on!! lol im going on.

hope you feel better soon sweetie, i just took loads of pain killers - my head was banging with all the coughin. xxxxx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Glad to hear you're feeling better. As my 93yr old Mum would say "Get a vest on dear!" She just doesn't get it that women don't wear vests anymore ?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Aw sweetheart thats a shame it ruined your xmas. I was annoyed as well when I dragged myself all the way to the doctors to be told its viral and they can't do anything for me. Suppose its not their fault but still, a waste of time.

RF - thanks for passing on your Gran's tip - shes probably right you know....lol

Well today I feel dizzy and lightheaded - think its got into my ears or something so phoned the doctors to try and speak to somebody instead of wasting everybodies time by making an appointment again - they said I should make an appointment and go down there and see them again. See if this is another big fat waste of time I won't be happy!!!!! Going at 12.10pm this afternoon.

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

I hope all goes well at the docs today! Hopefully they will give you something to clear it all up!

x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Not my Gran's tips but my Mum's! My Gran is long gone alas!! My Mum is 93 (I think I'm the oldest Hitcher in town LOL!)

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oooooooo sorry RF - to you AND your mum ? should really read things properly....lol

Your Mum must have been older before starting her family ?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Don't worry! Yeah she was 35 when she had me so that makes me....... Ooooo........at least 21 LOL! Strangely enough, I had our daughter when I was 34 although she took her time arriving on the scene - had to have a little help from the NHS which wasn't easy in those days!!

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

You feeling any better now Gillsy? x

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

thanks lainey - I'm not feeling just as dizzy now. Doctor says its viral - try taking some sudafed - see ya.

I actually just wanted to speak to a doctor this morning instead of having to go in to be told this again but hey ho. At least the weather seems to be thawing here - that said there may be some snow overnight again but we'll see.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics