Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Houdini
Beginner August 2010

O/T - so we covered bikini line waxing...

Houdini, 22 October, 2009 at 15:02 Posted on Planning 0 17

Now tell me about smear tests!

As I turned 25 last month I had a lovely 'invitation' (WTF?!) for my first smear test. It's booked for next Friday morning and I'm not looking forward to it! Tell me what to expect please!

(Oh, talking of bikini line waxes... should I have one first?! ?)

Thanks girls

17 replies

Latest activity by sdwrds, 23 October, 2009 at 17:29
  • S
    Beginner September 2010
    sherbert ·
    • Hide content

I don't envy you at all, they are not the most pleasant of experiences. It is much less uncomfortable if you try to relax (easier said than done). Good luck anyway x

• L
    Beginner November 2010
    littleredhead ·
    • Hide content

It might be a little embarrassing but a definite must for ladies.

Basically you'll be asked to jump up on the bed and remove your undies but cover yourself with a cloth they'll give you. Legs akimbo and bob's your uncle.

Just remember - no matter how embarrassed you feel, they've seen it aaaaallll before so there's really no need to feel self-conscious. The more relaxed you are, the easier it is but it really is nothing to worry about/stress over.

Hope this helps a little..

?

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

25? I'm 23 and I've had two- one at 20, then another 3 years later! I remember that was a major thing in the news recently cos they were trying to lower the age in E&W to match Scotland, they really should!

Anyway, yeah, it's not the most pleasant experience but the nurse will do everything to relax you as much as possible. They ask you to strip from the waist down, lie on the couch with a small strip of paper over your pelvic area to preserve modesty (don't really know why this is necessary when they're about to examine your cervix, but hey), then you bend your legs at the knee and allow them to 'flop' to each side. Then they insert the lubricated speculum (sp?), take a swab from your cervix, and that's it!

It shouldn't be too painful but I won't lie- it does hurt a bit, particularly the swabbing bit. But it's over in less than 5 mins! You'll be fine! ?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls. Think you've helped!!

Yeah Jen, my first one. They changed it up to 25 when I was about to turn 20 so I think I was amongst the last not to have them at 20. At the time it was a blessing!! I know there was obviously a big campaign when Jade Goody died but I don't think they'll lower it again any time soon. Personally I think it should be when someone is first sexually active so changes can be monitored but I don't think that would ever work. I mean, girls who become sexually active below the legal age of consent are hardly going to volunteer themselves are they?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

I think part of the reason why they dont lower it is because some cells in women under the age of 25 can show as being cancerous or something similar but they are not, its just because the cells are not fully grown/developed. So if they lower the age a lot of mistakes could be made, but then thats verses a lot of women not getting it picked up on until later in there life. I think its swings and round abouts!

I havent had one yet, but certainly not looking forward to it when the time comes!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know that was the 'official line' given but I think it would be better to have to call people back for a second if something showed up than for someone who has developed cancer / something else under the age of 25 to possibly have to wait until then to have it diagnosed IYSWIM? Sorry, I didn't mean to turn it into a politcal debate!!

I do see what you're saying though. But how comes it is 20 in Scotland then?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I know, I totally agree with you and think it should be lowered! I was just saying the 'reason' why they are arguing over lowering it or not. Its definatley better to be over cautious and have it checked early and find out its nothing than leave it late and not be able to do so much about it! There was girl who was campaigning in my town to have it lowered but she passed away last year aged 23. She had asked for a smear test when she was 19 but they refused to do it! And it turned out her suspisions were right!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so wrong.

I had a similar thing late last year / early this year with a breast cancer scare and my Doctor refused to refer me for any tests because of my age. Luckily I have private health care and I was ok but why should age matter? Just because the vast majority of such cancers are in older woman doesn't mean they all are And even if it only saves 10 lives a year it's worth it.

Rant over.

• GEMINIBEBE
    Beginner August 2010
    GEMINIBEBE ·
    • Hide content

Thats so sad Moya.........

Its yukky buts its gotta be done girls!

Whats next weeks subject then .............................................. ? ?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Its terrible isnt it! My friend had breast cancer, she is in remission now but she first felt a lump 5 years ago, she went to the doctors and it was just after she had her little girl and they told her not to worry it was a milk lump and it would go away, she went back 3 or 4 times over the next couple of years and they kept refusing to test it, then when she was in agony they did and it was cancer and it had spead into both breasts and up under her armpit, she had to have both boobs removed very serious radio and chemotherapy and to top it all off for her she was pregnant when she was diagnosed, lost the baby due to the chemo and now cant have anymore children.

Its just so awful, just because they couldnt be bothered to check!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Take a panty liner with you as you might experience spotting. The scraping they do is like a twisty motion and can feel uncomfortable. I posted about this last year and some shared their experiences of this twisty/scrapy/brush like thing.

Also theres nothing worse than the feeling of KY jelly in yer knickers as you leave the surgery so take a liner with you and then pop to the loo.

And ive always been given a wee blanket to put over me, not a sheet of paper. I used to hate them and be all embarrased but then I thought 'Bet the nurse doesnt enjoy this either!'

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the heads up teehee... Doesn't make it sound more appealing though!!

• chocoholic_claire
    Beginner August 2010
    chocoholic_claire ·
    • Hide content

Yes, not the most pleasant experience. The more relaxed you are about it the easier it is though. my nurse tells you to imagine all the muscles in your belly going really really floppy, that seems to help.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

LOL if I did THAT claire, Id probably fart really loudly!

• chocoholic_claire
    Beginner August 2010
    chocoholic_claire ·
    • Hide content

?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Lol nona

Rae, as the others said - not the most pleasent experience in the world but its a necessary evil. The nurses do them all the time so they've seen it all before and its over pretty quickly. Trying to relax is the best thing but TBH I never can!!!!

Its a bit uncomfortable when they do the swab but its over in no time.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Ok, so now I'm worrying about farting during it which hadn't even crossed my mind..!

?

• sdwrds
    Beginner July 2010
    sdwrds ·
    • Hide content

This is the second 'senstive' topic (bikini wax and smears) I was going to ask about but it seems us girls all think a like.

I turn 25 in Jan and I'm a little nervous as heard loads of scare stories, although no one has mentioned farting, yet anyway ? I'll prob be the one to do that !!! I know that it routine and they have seen it all before but still makes me feel a little nervous. My friend wanted one done when she turned 20 as had been told that you had one after 3 years of being sexually active. Her friend got one but she got the " we don't do it till 25 as the results often are inconclusive and can cause unnecessary stress." She tried with another doc and they said the same thing. So what I didn't understand was how 2 people the same age, no family history or symptoms, and just 'cause they go to different GPs one gets it, but the other doesn't.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics