Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Our band have double booked us!!!!!!

14 June, 2010 at 12:18 Posted on Planning 0 15

On Fri evening we arranged to take both sets of parents to see our wedding band. My Dad is a bitof a saddo groupie anyway so has seen them loads before but we wanted OH's parents to see them.

When we called them 3 months ago, he confired the date was available and gave us the price. He said only sticking point was the lead singer always takes his holiday over bank hol weekend in August but as they had a booking would prob take it at a different time next year. Asked us to go and see them at this pub they were playing at on Friday and then speak to him at the end of the night to pay deposit and fill out booking form etc. If the lead singer decided he wouldnt change his holidays he said he would DEF call us before that date and if we didnt hear anything then we were all set to go.

He emailed over play list etc.

Went to see them on friday and I decided to go and have a chat before they started playing - I was met with a blank expression.... then a red face! His cousin is getting married on that day and he had forgotten about ours!!

We watched them play anyway and were upset that they were as good as we remember!!

Now............ do we try to find another band for £800 that does a variety of music like them (everyone else we have contacted seem to be £1k plus) or treat it as a 'obviously not mean to be' and stick with the DJ that is included in our package and save the cash??? HRML!!!!!!!

15 replies

Latest activity by Sandysounds, 15 June, 2010 at 13:01
  • Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

Thats really bad Claire!

I hope you find somebody else that can play!

x

• AutumnRose
    Beginner
    AutumnRose ·
    • Hide content

Eeeek when i read this title my heart sank - i've just this morning emailed our band for triple confirmation and to discuss details etc. Had a flash thought of how awful it'd be if something had gone wrong.....

It all depends on what you want i guess. We were always insistent that we wanted a live band and so i would be trying to find another. You do have time on your side to really shop about.

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

Hey - sorry to hear that. I know it's too late now for that particular band, but it's really important that you get a contract from them, or if its just an informal agreement that you get something in writing from them before assuming the booking is concrete. I've seen brides (and grooms) in your same situation on this forum so many times before - its saddening.

Its entirely up to you whether you should bother or not. We've never had a gig - Wedding or otherwise where people stand around and listen - that'd be a bit weird. If you find the right band they should keep everyone on the floor!

I hope you find another. If and when you do - please obtain something in writing from them and preferably a proper contract. I can advise what should be in one if you need further help with that.

Tony

RS

• AutumnRose
    Beginner
    AutumnRose ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding where people just listen to a band either - i LOVE live music and i think it can really make the atmosphere.

Can thoroughly recommend Rubber Soul (from Tonys post above) - they are the band we're having.

Tony you probably wont connect the two but i just emailed you.....?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

We're having a live band/ DJ combo. We saw our band (The Blue Rinse) play live and they were really good. Although the band option is more expensive, I think it really adds to the atmosphere and they are including a DJ as well.

There are some good bands on the Alive Network website with samples and our band are based in Beds/ Bucks if you look them up (website really doesn't do them justice).

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

Oh - No I hadn't made the link at all!! Its a small world! Hello!

In response to Claire's [collapse]original message I think we'd be out of her budget as she mentions £800 - Claire, what size band were you originally looking at and where? Perhaps I can recommend another?

Tony

RS

[/collapse]
  • Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Hey Claire,

So sorry to hear this and also because I can't help with bands in Warwickshire, but don't give up on the band idea because of this. We had a band and they were brilliant - all the guests raved about them. I really think it makes the wedding so special and I've never been to a wedding where people stand around and listen to the music. That's really weird!!! I hope you get it sorted. £800 is still a fair whack, so don't worry about the budget side of things. We had a three-piece band and I had worried that it would be too small, but it worked out perfectly - so maybe it's worth looking into something like that?

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Aww thats really bad luck claire, but still you do have time on your side and liek you said maybe it wasn't meant to be.

I think its up to you the only problem with looking for another band is taht you may always be comparing them to the one you can't have so you may always feel a bit dissapointed (only you know how you will feel but it's worth bearing in mind).

You could always keep the money and keep it as a bonus or use it to provide your guests with some other treat maybe alternate entertainment (fireworks or a pianist during food etc when not dancing) or anything else you would have liked to provide but didn't have the budget for previously

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Aww thats a bit crap! You could contact the band and see if they have any other groups that they are friendly with similar to themselves. Other than that go and see the package band for a night to see what they're like! You might find that they are really good...and it would be a good money saving!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that Claire, but it brings up a valid point that no band or DJ is definitely booked until contracts have been signed and deposit paid.

• WeddingPianist
    WeddingPianist ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire,

Some bands like mine will provide live music (e.g. 3 x 45 min sets, 2 x 1 hour sets) and play music during the breaks without charging extra. So you can have live music and a DJ all in one.

Matt x

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Been missing in action.....just completed a tour of the UK with a DJ show I'm involved in......absolutely manic from East Anglia, finishing in Scotland! But I'm back now and will be staying put for a while as its a lovely busy wedding season for me.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics