Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Soulmates
Beginner August 2012

Our venue has cancelled our booking

Soulmates, 30 September, 2011 at 22:17 Posted on Planning 0 23

After recommending our venue to another bride on here and getting a reply of "they aren't taking any more wedding bookings as they may be closing next year" I called our venue on tuesday. Numerous phonecalls followed, finally resulting in being informed today by our venue that they are cancelling our wedding booking.

They obtained their marriage license in June of this year and have received alot of opposition and objections from the local residents. This has resulted in their entertainment license terms being restricted to "all windows and door are to be closed from 8pm" and their alcohol license now does not allow alcohol to be drunk outside the building (they have a patio area). Obviously this has a major impact to a summer wedding in a smallish venue. They fear that they further restrictions may be placed on their licences. The building is owned by the council and they have also been put on the "high risk of closure" list, so may be closed in April next year. They decided it was best to cancel us now than potentially in April.

I am devastated, it was absolutely perfect, we had done so much venue hunting prior to finding it and nothing came close in terms of value of character.

So ladies, any of you know of any venues in the staffordshire area, or slightly wider that has a marriage license and preferably bedrooms? 60 day guests and 80 evening guests budget £4000 MAX

Photographer is booked for august 25th but is also available on the 11th and is happy to move our booking to that if needed, also registrar is booked for the 25th from stafford council, if we cancel this we will loose £50 booking fee (which is the least of our problems at the minute!)

thanks

23 replies

Latest activity by The Wedding Singer, 6 October, 2011 at 20:36
  • Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

God knows why that has posted in 2 different font sizes!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

That's terrible! Hope you manage to sort something

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry Soulmates, I really thought they would be obliged to honour any existing agreements. It's absolute toss!

I ended up going with my original venue when I negotiated the price a bit but it won't hold that many people. On my hunt I did look at Hotel Rudyard though, which looked quite reasonable and being in the Staffordshire Moorlands you should be able to transfer the registrar [when I booked mine she said I could transfer to any within Staffordshire so the Leek office for Staffs Moorlands would count].

xx

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Really sorry to hear this, I thought the same as Lucifer and hoped they would honour your booking. Shame you had to chase them to find out what was happening. I do hope you find an alternative venue you love.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies, they can't really commit to our booking when they may be closing down and we appreciate that they are cancelling us now rather than later, even thought i am rather peeved that we had to approach them to find this out!

Hotel rudyard looks nice, thanks Lucifer x

• blossom1985
    Beginner January 2001
    blossom1985 ·
    • Hide content

We really struggled when we were looking closer to home (stoke/newcastle) we looked at slaters and consall hall gardens ... i recently went to a wedding reception at the three horse shoe inn .. leek way and my friend had her reception at The Mill in Worston which is stafford way. I have been to lots of wedding at Keele which have all been beautiful!

I really hope you find somewhere!!

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Oh no how sad!

fingers crossed you'll find something even lovelier!! x

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Hi Blossom, I'm in newcastle too! The Mill is a possibility, we're waiting for them to get back to us with availability and the others you mentioned have already been crossed off the list due to ex getting married there, expensive, minimum numbers are too many and OH used to work there!!!!

• blossom1985
    Beginner January 2001
    blossom1985 ·
    • Hide content

I really liked the Ashes too but it was way too much for us ... we are getting married out of the area and in January now to keep in budget!! Oh we also looked at the Moat House in Stafford but that is really expensive in the summer but they do a winter package which is quite a bargain but as you have already got suppliers thats no good for you.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Smiley smile

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

I would be gutted if that happened to us. Really hoping you find another venue that is as lovely as your first choice. Wonder when they would have got around to telling you.

• abbijay
    Beginner October 2011
    abbijay ·
    • Hide content

How awful! Have you got insurance? It may help towards costs in some way, especially that £50 from the registrar.

My cousin married at the Rudyard Lake hotel a few years ago. It was a lovely setting but the food wasn't great and the cauliflower came out brown!Of course there's a strong chance the chef has changed since then but I would ask or go for a taster meal if it were me.

Good luck in finding something

• Charlie-Lou
    Beginner June 2012
    Charlie-Lou ·
    • Hide content

Oh Soulmates thats a real shame, can't help with the venues as i don't know the area but i hope you get something sorted asap. Smiley smile

• V
    Beginner March 2013
    vicki1180_0 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about the cancellation.

I live in Stafford so know a few places, obviously i don't know what you're looking for and where you already know but here's some off the top of my head:

Chase Golf CLub

Sandon Hall

Hawksyard Hall

Chillington Hall

Rodbaston Hall (Rodbaston college)

The Ashes

The Barns - cannock

Oak Farm Hotel

Tillington Hall

Hatherton Hotel

Slaters

Ramada hotel - cannock

Stone House Hotel

Good luck ?

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou for all the suggestions ladies, I've been through your list vicki, a few new ones on there for us to try. Have sent out loads of emails, going to hit the phones next week!

• elegancegroup
    elegancegroup ·
    • Hide content

I'm very sorry to hear of your news. It's very commendable that you are looking at the positives.. Like you say this could of been worse if it was April. It's not very good that you had to chace them but perhaps they were in the final stages of their decision making.

Vicky has suggested some lovely venues in the area for you to take a look at. Most of which are really lovely.

All the best in your new search. x

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, sorry your venue has cancelled! We lived in Staffs (South though but about an hour from you). We viewed quite a few and there were a lot that did all inclusive packages so those we expected to be pricey actually worked out reasonable. I used the website http://www.weddingvenues.com/staffordshireweddings.html and just looked at their websites or poned for prices. Hope you find somewhere soon!

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Hi soulmates

I'm based in Stafford ?. Goldstone Hall is another for the list, it's out towards Market Drayton though (half an hour or so from Stafford). It's a lovely small venue with stunning grounds. They also have rooms.

Also, Moddershall Oaks near Stone have a fantastic function room

Hope this helps

James

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou everyone for all your suggestions, we appreciate each and every one. Some are places I'd never heard of so that's great. We've sent out emails to all that are affordable so if we don't hear from them by monday we'll be hitting the phones!

? to you too James! (You sang at my sisters wedding 3 years ago!)

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Small world! Hope you get fixed up, let us know how you get on ?

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Pointless moan from me.........

We have spent every spare minute since friday phoning, emailing and trawling the internet will no success. Every time we think one looks promising something goes wrong.

We visited one lastnight and it was awful, really unfriendly staff, very overcooked veg and a very public function room

Another is beautiful, was in budget, found a caterer that could do the possible dates but then found that the price list online was VERY out of date so no longer affordable

Another venue was available and they dropped their room hire to help up out but their caterers won't budge on their prices which makes it too expensive (even though out of season they do a package that we could afford)

Any that we can afford are booked up

People keep saying to me that it doesn't matter where we get married but we still need SOMEWHERE! We had our venue, we had our wedding, now we have everthing you need to get married apart from a blooming room!

Only good thing about all this has been our TOG, he is currently holding 3 dates for us in july/august and will do untill we have a venue. Other than the registrar he is the only supplier we had booked, mainly because that was all we needed other than cars.

I just keep looking at the lists of venues and crying. No need to give me any sympathy, I just needed to offload to people who understand x

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Oh how disappointing!!

I know its hard but keep your chin up - A better venue will come up !

• V
    Beginner March 2013
    vicki1180_0 ·
    • Hide content

Oh No!! I know it's frustrating but keep going - I'm sure you will find somewhere.

Let me know where you have tried and then I can try and think of some more

Have a look at Baden Hall, my friend got married there and it's lovely. You can get your own caterers in and the scenery is beautiful

http://www.badenhall.com/

There's also Weston Hall, but I think that's on the expensive side.

Do you want the day all in one place or would you consider having the ceremony and receptions seperate (that's what we are doing) So i could let you know where we have booked

Chin up ?

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Oh no!! Hope you get something sorted soon xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics