Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2015

Outdoor venue ideas

mrs_w_to_be, 1 of August of 2014 at 02:09 Posted on Planning 0 7

Ok so we were originally getting married abroad but now my dad can't fly, and even though I've never wanted a big wedding it's more important for me to have my dad walk me down the aisle, so we are now back to the UK!

My fiancé and I both have huge families so we decided the best way for us to do it would be to get married about 4pm and invite everyone, then hire a marquee for the reception and instead of having a separate day and evening do, just one big party for everyone with a BBQ instead of a sit down meal. This way, I can keep some of my original ideas for getting married abroad as it's outdoors, and it's also relaxed and informal which is what we both want!

The only problem I have is finding somewhere that will let us put the marquee up (for a reasonable price). Some of the quotes I've had were 2k just to hire the land for the day, then you still need to hire the marquee and caterers! It can work out more expensive than a formal reception in a 5* hotel! But it's definitely the way I want to go, so does anyone have any suggestions? We are in Cheshire with one family in North Wales and one around Merseyside so we can be quite flexible with where we have it!

Thanks in advance Smiley smile

7 replies

Latest activity by Future*mrsP, 30 of August of 2014 at 14:25
  • yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I cant help with the marquee, the prices you have quoted sound fairly standard to me, but you could look for something in between the two extremes you have described. An indoor wedding reception doesnt have to be formal. For example could you hire a village hall, or local club house it will be cheaper than a marquee and although you lose some of the outside element, you might find somewhere with a nice garden or grounds.

We wanted a relaxed atmosphere and we're having our reception at a local golf club, we have the outside elememts if we want them with a patio and gardens available to us and the views of the cojrse beyond make it seem quite outdoorsy. The club hire is only £75 for the whole day, so heaps cheaper than a marquee. One of the catering options the club offered was a bbq although we chose a banqueting buffet instead. With a village hall you'd have to self cater anyway, so you could have whatever you want.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

I tried and failed to find a cost efficient way to do the marquee wedding without owning the land already. By the time we'd factored in everything (piping in water, generators, toilets, catering, tent flooring etc etc we ended up compromising on a barn venue with outdoor space which actually worked out better for our numbers in the end. If I had been looking in North Wales I'd have gone for this: not cheap, but everything organised for you and entirely customisable.

https://www.fforestweddings.co.uk/

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

Hi have you looked at church farm at thurstaston on the Wirral, its an organic farm. Easy to get to from not north wales and Cheshire. Premier lodge at heswall if people want to stay over and a holiday inn at hoylake. Beautiful views over the river dee too !!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

It might be worth you getting a quote from Hilltop Country House (near Prestbury?) as they have a marquee, or they have space for one. The cheapest way to do a marquee wedding is to find a venue that has a permanent marquee.

http://www.hilltopcountryhouse.co.uk/hilltop-weddings.html

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I tried to plan a yurt wedding and in South Wales, and the land costed 1500. Needless to say we couldnt afford it all, the cost mounted up so quickly. In Wales the castle venues are beautiful, and only cost a few hundred pounds, they come with a lot of land, so plenty of room for an outdoor ceremony.

For the reception, how about a village hall that also has land big enough for a marquee? My local vh is 90quid to hire for 3 days, so fairly cheap! You can use the hall as a caterers tent!

Hth

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

I remember looking at Cricket clubs and Rugby clubs and found the land hire to be cheaper. Also, what about schools with playing fields that may be looking to support their tight funding by hiring out in the summer holidays? May be worth asking a few country pubs too, as this way, you would not need to hire toilets and could look at options for them to cater...

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at campsites.

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

Where abouts in cheshire are you? Im in Cheshire too and looked at marquee as also want it more informal, but prices were higher than i expected. We have just this week booked ceremony and reception at Leicester Warren Hall in Knutsford. Its a converted barn with lots of wooden beams so a lovely country feel and we can pretty much decorate it in the same way we would have done a marquee. We are having ceremony at 2pm followed by afternoon tea, then hog roast later in evening when some more guests arrive. Its really reasonably priced and means that they do all of the organising for me rather than me having to source marquees, hog roast etc seperately. Its not the biggest place in the world, think they can cater for up to 120, but have a gorgeous big lawn at the front so u can keep that outdoor theme/feel

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics