Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carpe Diem
Beginner

Outside wedding or too risky??

Carpe Diem, 8 March, 2013 at 19:22 Posted on Planning 0 16

So after thinking we had definetly decided on a venue and filling in the forms, the day before we were due to pay the deposit it has been thrown into turmoil as I found somewhere else! Only problem is the majority of the venue is outside as its a setting in a forest. Now I love the thought of having it in the forest with fairy lights in the trees, campfire in the evening and a very relaxed feel especially as its a vow renewal not a 'wedding'. My husband is really excited about the idea as its so different and everyone can camp there too! (I know some people's idea of hell!).

my only doubt is the lovely English weather!!! Now our date is the 24th July so supposedly the height of summer but I know in this country that means nothing. What would you do? Do you think its a silly idea? Is it not worth arranging all this for it to be ruined if it pours with rain all day?

Ahhhhh! So difficult!! It's very very different from our. Original venue which is a gorgeous 17th century mansion which is very grand and we do adore but this has given us serious venue wobbles!!

16 replies

Latest activity by DaffodilWaves, 9 March, 2013 at 23:41
  • venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't risk it, especially after living through last summer.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Yea I was quite up for an informal outdoor affair for our wedding but we decided to veto that idea due to the weather being so unreliable!

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Is there anywhere sheltered you can have the ceronmony if it rains?

Perhaps a temporary shelter where you and h stand, and big transparent umbrellas for guests.

At least if it does rain, it will smell nice... :-)

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

We are having an outdoor ceremony, everyone keeps asking me what if the weathers bad (September) but I think you just have to go for it and hope for the best Smiley smile luckily we could move it inside if needed, or everyone just bring brollies or put gazebos up! X

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! There is a big barn and a marquee available so there will be cover if the weathers awful. Just not sure it would be the same though as obviously the outdoor space is what appeals to me! Here's some piccies so you can get an idea what its like...

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

I would take the risk then, it looks gorgeous.

Where is te venue btw?

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

In the New Forest Rhys. It is beautiful and they have a campfire they light in the evening and we have the freedom to decorate and do whatever we like with the area.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Looks beautiful Kelly Smiley smile

I might be bias, as we too are planning an outdoor wedding, but I think it's worth the risk if you adore it and feel you'd be happier there than at the other venue.

If I were in your position and opted for the other venue, then on the day itself the weather was alright I would be kicking myself. That would "annoy" me far more than if we'd chosen the outdoor venue and it rained.

If it did rain, by the look of it you'll have a couple of lovely alternatives, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Do a list of pros and cons for each maybe?

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice, I never thought about it like that and you are so right! Imagine if its an amazing sunny day and will feel gutted that we didn't go with the forest. Will definetly do the list and have a think as we do have plenty of time x

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Book it! ;-)

Seriously though, it sound/ looks spectacular.

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I attended a wedding like this last year, literally in the middle of woods.

They a semi-marquee (it had no sides, just roof).

They seem to enjoy it which is all that matters, as did most of the other guests.

Personally I was cold and uncomfortable and didn't enjoy it as much as I would have had it be held somewhere else.

edit: Just seen photos. If there is option for warm places to go if it rains / is freezing then I say go for it!

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!

just for comparison this is our venue we were just about to put down a deposit on...

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Stunning venue as well, but for me anyway, I just love outdoor rustic weddings. There is just something 'natural' about them, I can't put my finger on why I like them exactly.

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean Rhys I love the natural rustic feel, but I am a bit of a hippy or so I'm told ;-)

we have got about 20 children coming (3 of our own) so imagine it will be much more fun for them than sitting at table!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Get it booked its amazing!! So what if it rains? Brollies, wellies.... Us brits do camping better than anyone else and a bit of mud just adds to the fun... Thousands of annual festivalgoers can't be wrong eh?! Seriously, it's such a fab venue that your guests will love it whatever the weather, providing they have the same happy relaxed outlook as you. I'd have no doubts whatsoever in your position xx

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

Thank you xx

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I'd go for the outdoor one but that's because it would suit me ?

Seriously, risk it as you'll be more gutted if you don't and it's nice on the day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics