Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cookiekat
Beginner August 2012

Oven baked clay place settings

cookiekat, 14 December, 2011 at 22:25 Posted on Planning 0 4

Ok so inspired by hitched awards I was thinking I would make my own name/place setting things (do they have an official name?)

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/categories/homes-and-gardens

I want to make these ^^^ In black clay cut in to heart shapes then stamp every ones names into them.

Do you think it will look nice or tacky? OH looked at me dubiously I think they will be gorgeous! Wedding colours are black and white.

4 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 15 December, 2011 at 11:00
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, but the ones in the pic look shabby & drab. It might be the twine or the colours. I'm sure they could look better with say a clear gloss on the top, nicer colours & ribbon instead of scratchy looking twine.

My only worry about making such a thing, is you will need to make them at least a week or so before the wedding. Are you likely to have any late additions to the wedding? If so, you will need something different to use as a place name for them.

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

I only just watched Kirstie's Homemade Christmas last night and thought these looked fun and easy to make! I agree that the pic looks poor though - the red one on the right definitely looks best. I think a heart-shape would look great tied around napkins! Not at all tacky!

Do you think white clay with black paint might look a bit brighter?

Not sure how much the little packs of clay are but you could just have a play around one weekend, not necessarily with the exact design, and see what you think (and flash us a pic!!)

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

My advice - have a go at making one and see how it turns out Smiley smile IMO I think they will look great Smiley smile x

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I love this idea! Agree the pic doesn't look that great but I'm sure it's due to the colours and lighting as much as anything else, the red one looks best so I think if you stay away from dull colours it will be fine. If your doing black just make sure its a really slick black not dull looking and have nice bright white for the writing

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I can't see the link here at work but you can make the hearts in advance, they won't dry out too much, then press names into them just before the wedding then bake. Just keep them dust free.

I quite like the matt look myself, but it depends what sort of look you are after I suppose. You can get a glossy glaze for bakeable clay too.

I think they would look great with some ribbon rather than twine...

Make sure you factor in enough time to make replacements in case they crack in the oven...

I prefer Sculpey to Fimo.. but that is just me!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics