Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2008

over- generous wedding gifts

scousechick, 4 of June of 2008 at 11:14 Posted on Planning 0 4

A friend of ours gave us £200! ? last night as our wedding gift. Both me and H2B feel this is far too generous. Only now we're not sure whether to accept and give a huge thanks or try to return it to them (Is that too rude?)

What would you do?

4 replies

Latest activity by milch, 5 of June of 2008 at 09:59
  • smartie
    Beginner July 2008
    smartie ·
    • Hide content

I think it is a bit rude to return it TBH, instead I would get them a really nice hand made thank you card and express how grateful you are. Your friends have obviously thought about what they feel is appropriate and can afford to do it. Very generous friends you have!

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

It would be rude to return the gift. Instead I would send them either a handmade thank you card expressing how grateful you are for their very generous gift and then later when you have bought something with the money, show them what you have got with their generous gift. You could also invite them round for a meal one night as well to enable you to say thank you in person.

• *Kitty*
    Beginner April 2008
    *Kitty* ·
    • Hide content

We are also in the same boat, our eyes nearly popped out when we seen what some people had given us! ? I think we will give a hadmade thank you card and also a proffesional pic of the day.

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

I think that its becoming quite normal now to give that amount as a gift to a friends wedding.

It is a lot of money but they would be very embarrassed if you tried to return it.

When my sis got married 2 years ago, she had a small list registered as she didnt need/want/expect anything.

She got a few cheques for £150 - £200 and was really surprised as she thought it was extravagent. I think if your friends want to give that amount then you should accept it in the spirit it was given and when you send your thank you cards out, make sure to write something special in theirs

• milch
    Beginner July 2008
    milch ·
    • Hide content

my grandparents sent us £300 and i was really surprised at their generosity, they sent it now a month beofre incase we wanted to use it to pay for something for the wedding which i thought was lovey of them.

we also had someone buy the entired bedding, bedspread, pillows and duvet off of our list which was very very generous and unexpected.

just send them a nice thank you card then also let them know when you've spent it on something?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics